Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-10-07, 10:37 AM   #1
jcopenhaver

Angry GeForce 6150 - Fedora 7 & 8 Problems

I recently purchased an ASUS M2NPV-VM with a GeForce 6150 installed on the motherboard. I am using an AMD 64 processor with lots of memory and disk. The idea was to use this system for a graphics project using Fedora 7.

I initially had some problems getting the display to function properly, but found some postings on the Fedora Forum that were helpful in getting my system out of 800x600 screen resolution.

Everything was working well until a few weeks ago. For some reason (after an upgrade) the display reverted back to 800x600 and would not change to anything higher.

I made sure my motherboard BIOS was upgraded to the latest and waited until Fedora 8 was released yesterday. My hope was that the problem had been corrected in the newest release. It has not.

Right now, I am extremely frustrated as I have wasted many hours trying to make this card work when it apparently will not. I'm almost to the point where I will buy a video card from another manufacturer and never purchase an nVidia product again.

While those of us that run some flavor of Linux may not be a big percentage of the PC market, we are usually the ones that also use high end video cards for WOW and other graphics applications.

Any workable solutions to this problem will be greatly appreciated.
jcopenhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-07, 10:42 AM   #2
mooninite

Default Re: GeForce 6150 - Fedora 7 & 8 Problems

Read the forum sticky posts.
mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-07, 12:58 PM   #3
jcopenhaver

I wish it was that simple.

I downloaded NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-96.43.01-pkg2.run (as well as 100.14.19), exited xwin, and ran the application with the sh command.

With FC 7, it blew up because I didn't have kernel-devel installed, so I installed it. After that, I ran the application again and it appeared to work to an extent. It was unable to perform a verification step, but indicated it was probably successful. It still didn't work.

With FC 8, I downloaded both again. The installation died saying that the kernel-devel wasn't installed. It is. Because this is a vanilla install, the application should find the kernel-devel files. It won't. There is something else wrong here that doesn't make any sense (to me anyway).
Old 11-10-07, 01:05 PM   #4
mooninite

That's not what I meant.

You should generate a bug report. It's in the sticky posts.

Since you are using Fedora, do not use the nVidia shell script. Uninstall the shell script with "nvidia-install.sh uninstall" (I think, not for sure)

Go here: http://freshrpms.net

Install the freshrpms.net repo. Then type in
Code:
yum install nvidia-x11-drv nvidia-x11-drv-32bit
Reboot and you should be fine.
Old 11-10-07, 03:07 PM   #5
jcopenhaver

Angry Re: GeForce 6150 - Fedora 7 & 8 Problems

Just to make sure I didn't have anything hosed from my previous attempts, I scratch/reloaded FC8 on the system. When the system finished installing the updates and rebooting, the ONLY thing I did was add freshrpms.net to my repositories and issue the yum install nvidia-x11-drv nvidia-x11-drv-32bit command and reboot.

Now, the system will not successfully boot into xwin. It was telling me that my xwin is not configured correctly. I exited out to the command prompt and did a yum remove on the two modules.

xwin started successfully, but I am back where I started at 800x600!
Old 11-10-07, 03:16 PM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

You've still not followed the forum sticky post instructions.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-07, 04:00 PM   #7
mooninite

It seems he cannot find the command to run, so I'll type it for him.

Install the nVidia binary driver again. Then run:

Code:
nvidia-bug-report.sh
Attach the .log file it generates to this thread.
Old 11-10-07, 05:27 PM   #8
jcopenhaver

Thumbs down Re: GeForce 6150 - Fedora 7 & 8 Problems

TO HE** WITH IT!!!

I must be too dam* stupid to follow such clear cut GO* DAM* instructions!

If you check the Fedora Forums, you will see that everyone else that owns any of these cards is too stupid as well. At least I'm in good company.

Paste that in your stickey note!

Old 11-10-07, 08:46 PM   #9
mooninite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcopenhaver
TO HE** WITH IT!!!

I must be too dam* stupid to follow such clear cut GO* DAM* instructions!

If you check the Fedora Forums, you will see that everyone else that owns any of these cards is too stupid as well. At least I'm in good company.

Paste that in your stickey note!
I don't see what there is to be upset about. You failed to provide what we asked for on the first reply.

The log file contains system information that we can use to *HELP* you. If you do not post the log file, then we cannot *HELP* you. We are trying to help you.
Old 11-10-07, 09:05 PM   #10
jcopenhaver

You have obviously never followed your own procedures... from beginning to end ... with nothing but a Fedora download installation. It cannot be done. Your own bug reporting software assumes that you have a disk with bug reporting software installed on it!!! Somehow I missed the Linux version with my motherboard. Oh... Perhaps that was because all I had to work with was a VISTA version.
Old 11-10-07, 09:24 PM   #11
mooninite

Um, OK? The computer I am typing this on is a Fedora 8 Core 2 Duo with a nVidia 7950GT. I'm using the same freshrpms.net package I recommended to you.

Quote:
Your own bug reporting software assumes that you have a disk with bug reporting software installed on it!!!
That statement makes no sense. The "nvidia-bug-report.sh" script does not require external software. It is a simple shell script that compiles all of your log files into one nice file.

Please take a deep breath... nothing to get upset about.
Old 11-11-07, 02:34 AM   #12
seeker010

ran fedora on 6150 since fc6, never had a problem. I run the driver install script, change the driver in xorg.conf to nvidia, and everything works. dunno what you're doing wrong. maybe if you tried to do what people ask instead of being so confrontational you'll figure out what is going on.
seeker010 is offline   Reply With Quote