Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-15-03, 03:01 PM   #1
pak9rabid

Send a message via AIM to pak9rabid Send a message via Yahoo to pak9rabid
Angry slack 9.0 and 1.0-4349 drivers doing weird stuff

Mkay i wonder if anyone else is having this same problem. I am running a geforce3 ti 200 and have just installed slack9.0. The problem I'm having is that when i install the 1.0-4349 drivers, it says that they have been installed successfully. After i modify my XF86Config with the appropriate changes (Load glx, nv = nvidia), I go to startx, i jus get a blank screen and it completely locks up my system. Well, kind of locks up my system. I can still activate-deactivate num-lock, caps-lock, etc. But, even stranger is when I got to look at my XF86Config file again, it's completely filled with crap that looks like was dumped from memory. Strange no? On top of this, it will not write anything to /var/log/XFree<blah>.log, so no help there. I disabled frame buffer within the kernel and recompiled thinking it was having a probelm with that. Still a no go. I even tried to reinstall X. OH yea, Im running XFree86 4.3.0. Hmm..strange...anyone have an idea what might be going on?
pak9rabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-03, 06:35 PM   #2
Andy Mecham
l33t master

Can you give any details about your hardware?

If you're using a KT400 based system, please see http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...ighlight=kt400

--andy
Old 04-15-03, 07:35 PM   #3
pak9rabid

No problem. Im running an ECS K7S5A motherboard which has the SiS 735 chipset, Athlon XP 2400+ CPU, 512 MB PC2100 memory, the PNY GeForce3 Ti 200 video card, Western Digital 30 GB 7200 RPM Mode-5 HD. If u need any more hardware specs lemme know. I'm running slackware 9.0 with a customized kernel. Another thing that might be worth mentioning. When i ran the install program (nice feature by the way) it said that it was going to have to compile its own kernel module, and I read somewhere that I need to load it into the kernel manual. I did that using modprobe, it said that it "tainted" the kernel. I did lsmod and saw that the nvidia module was loaded, but it was "tainted" whatever that means. Any more info u need?
Old 04-15-03, 07:38 PM   #4
Andy Mecham
l33t master

Does disabling AGP help? You can add
Code:
Option  "NvAgp" "0"
to the Device section of your XF86Config file to check.

--andy
Old 04-15-03, 07:40 PM   #5
pak9rabid

Im gonna have to wait until I get home from work to try it. I'll let ya know if it fixes it or not. Thanks a lot for the help. U rox0r.
Old 04-16-03, 02:33 AM   #6
pak9rabid

Mkay, i tried that and it didn't work. Still the same thing. Black screen and my system locks up. Can't even ctrl-alt-del to reboot. I have to use the reset button on the front. But, I went and installed some older NVidia drivers from the tars, and now when my system boots up I see this message when it attempts to load some libraries that it wasn't doing before:

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1.0.4191 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA.so.1.0.4191 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

I see when my system boots now right before the login prompt.