Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-10-07, 07:01 PM   #1
Hapless Hero

Default Random Lockups on Multi-CPU Systems

Months ago I posted the thread Random freezes on Fedora 7. The overwhelming response from other users has prompted me to start a new thread reflecting consistencies I believe I see within these responses.

This is not exactly a bug report thread; this is a place where people with this problem can compare notes. Please respond if your symptoms match mine.

I have now tried official NVidia drivers on my ASUS laptop on three different Linux flavors with many, many different settings. I have done 64-bit and 32-bit installs on Fedora 7, Sabayon Linux, and Ubuntu. I have switched to Ubuntu full time but my same problem persists.

My hardware specs: ASUS ASMobile Z62JM, NVidia GeForce Go 7300, Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 120GB Harddrive. I run Ububtu Feisty and Windows XP Pro.

I am going to reinstall the NVidia driver (it remains uninstalled when I need to actually get things done) and compile a thorough bug report in the meanwhile and try some various tricks again, though the first time around I tried basically all the ones I could find. I still have hope to fix this problem, but I wanted to get a thread to compile multiple users' problems into one place.

Symptoms:

You run a system with the following: multiple processors, Linux, and the official NVidia driver from either an online repo or nvidia.com. Removing any one of these factors (i.e. switching to Windows, using nv driver instead of nvidia, using maxcpus=1) fixes the problem.

You constantly have random freeze-ups for no apparently reason: it could be starting GDM, logging in, opening a menu, playing a 3D game, whatever. If you touch it enough times, the system will freeze within a few minutes at most. Every time.

At times, these freeze-ups do go away, and you can see that one processor has been working at 100% for the hang-up period. But most of the time a hard restart is required.

Most of the time your mouse will continue to work but all other windows, displays, and functions stop. No Ctrl-Alt-Backspace possible; etc. Eventually the mouse may stop moving altogether.
Hapless Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-07, 07:33 PM   #2
MichaelFischer
kingfischer289

Default Re: Random Lockups on Multi-CPU Systems

Hapless Hero's nice summary confirms the things I have observed and includes others besides (such as the fact that the problem also occurs with 32-bit versions of the OS). I have only two things to add:
  1. I have two 64-bit linux systems. The 100.14.19 driver fails as described on the system with an AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ and GeForce 7300 GS graphics card, but it works fine on a dual core dual processor Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.20GHz system with a Quadro NVS 285 graphics card.
  2. The legacy driver 96.43.01 works fine with the AMD system.
So yes, it seems to be a combination of linux, dual-core processors, and the 100.14-series of drivers. It may also be related to the ASUS mother board. (My AMD system has an ASUS A8N-E Mainboard; the Intel system is from Dell.)
MichaelFischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-07, 10:32 AM   #3
flabbergasted

I have an HP pavillion m7557c Media Center with a AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 4600+ with an NVidia GeForce 7500 LE. I do not know who made the motherboard. I have experienced this problem on opensuse 10.1, 10.2 and now 10.3. I thought it was an openSuse issue, so when the problem occurred after the much anticipated 10.3 release I decided to give Fedora 7 a try. For three days there were no freezes. Then I loaded the NVidia driver 100.14.19 and within five minutes, the computer froze. The only way out of one of these freezes is to yank the power cord.

I have had this issue with the last three versions of the driver that I have loaded. Where can I get the out-of-box driver that came with the distro? Once I knew it was an NVidia issue, I went back to openSuse 10.3. During an online "upgrade", my working-for-five-days-out-of-box driver was replaced with 100.14.19 and now I am experiencing the freezes again. As a matter of fact, my first attempt at making this post was interrupted with a freeze.

These freezes occur, as you say, at anytime during any given task.
flabbergasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-07, 12:00 PM   #4
Ralph

I have an HP Pavilion t3540.it (desktop) with motherboard ASUS A8M2N-LA (NodusM), chipset ATI Radeon Xpress 200, CPU AMD64 4200+ DualCore, video card nVidia GeForce 7600 GS PCI Express 16x, kernel 2.6.23 compiled by me with SMP support (no maxcpus option), Slackware 11 32 bit, Xorg 6.x, driver nVidia regularly updated (currently 100.14.19).

Works perfectly! After 12 months, no crashes, no freezes!

Flabbergasted, also for the HP Pavilion m7557c Media Center the motherboard is ASUS A8M2N-LA (NodusM)!
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-07, 04:11 PM   #5
MichaelFischer
kingfischer289

Lightbulb Re: Random Lockups on Multi-CPU Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph
I have an HP Pavilion t3540.it (desktop) with motherboard ASUS A8M2N-LA (NodusM), chipset ATI Radeon Xpress 200, CPU AMD64 4200+ DualCore, video card nVidia GeForce 7600 GS PCI Express 16x, kernel 2.6.23 compiled by me with SMP support (no maxcpus option), Slackware 11 32 bit, Xorg 6.x, driver nVidia regularly updated (currently 100.14.19).

Works perfectly! After 12 months, no crashes, no freezes!

Flabbergasted, also for the HP Pavilion m7557c Media Center the motherboard is ASUS A8M2N-LA (NodusM)!
Are you sure about the chipset? According to the HP website, the HP Pavilion t3540.it Desktop PC uses chipset GeForce 6150 LE. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...dlc=en&lang=en
My ASUS A8N-E uses chipset NVIDIA nForce 4 Ultra. Maybe the maker of the motherboard isn't so important as the chipset involved.
Old 11-11-07, 06:57 PM   #6
Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFischer
Are you sure about the chipset? According to the HP website, the HP Pavilion t3540.it Desktop PC uses chipset GeForce 6150 LE.
You are right!

Same chipset as HP m7557c Media Center.
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-07, 11:29 PM   #7
rummage_bin

I have an HP dv6500z laptop (AMD turion dual core 64 with nvidia 7150 graphics/chipset running 32 bit version of Ubuntu 7.10.)

I had to install the "restricted driver" from nvidia and tweak xorg.conf in order to get the display to function at full resolution.

The computer screen will freeze up, including the cursor, and the caps_lock light will start blinking on and off.

Moving the mouse or typing something has no effect (the cursor stays frozen, the caps_lock continues to blink).

This will happen at random times, sometimes when the laptop is just sitting there unattended, and it always requires a power cycle to unfreeze.
rummage_bin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-07, 12:10 PM   #8
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

There's a known stability problem with GeForce 7200/7300 GPUs on some multi-core systems (running SMP kernels) with 100.14.11 and later NVIDIA 100.14.xx Linux graphics drivers. This problem should be resolved in future NVIDIA Linux graphics driver releases. If your problem persists, please see http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46678.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-07, 02:49 PM   #9
timrichardson

Hi Zander. I now use an older version which is a stable as a rock. But I can't use the newer versions of xserver-xorg packages, because the older nvidia drivers don't build. I suppose you have some idea when it will be fixed, or at least a beta version ready. Not breaking any corporate secrets is it, to give us an update?
timrichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-07, 03:02 PM   #10
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Please see http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=102509.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-07, 04:56 PM   #11
timrichardson

Well, that was fast. Thanks, I'll play with the beta tomorrow.
timrichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-07, 10:34 PM   #12
MichaelFischer
kingfischer289

Smile Re: Random Lockups on Multi-CPU Systems

The 169.04 (beta) driver has been working flawlessly for 6 hours 15 minutes on my dual-core AMD system with GeForce 7300 GS graphics processor. No Xid's, no lockups, no kernel crashes. That's about 6 hours 13 minutes longer than it used to go with the 100.14.19 driver. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but I'm optimistic that the instability problem that has been plaguing many of us for months has finally been fixed. Let's thank the NVIDIA guys for fixing this problem! This is the sort of bug that can be extremely difficult to track down.