Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-11-02, 08:06 AM   #1
rol

Thumbs down Any Linux 2.5.x support ?

Hello,

I've recently upgraded from 2.5.8 to 2.5.30.
2.5.8 was fine, and there was a patch for NV Driver to have
it running.
No way to find anything like that for 2.5.30 and kernel
source for .2960 says
#error No support for kernel 2.5.x

Is there any other version ?
Is NVidia really not supporting 2.5.x kernels, thus forcing
people to buy another video card ?

Any help welcome,
Regards
Rol
rol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-02, 08:30 AM   #2
Thunderbird

The reason 2.5.x kernels aren't support is very logic. The 2.5x tree is the development tree. Those kernels are only meant for kernel developers. In the past when 2.2x was stable (there were nvidia drivers already) and 2.3x was dev the drivers didn't support 2.3x either.

The 2.5x kernel is changing too fast. For normal users it is a very bad idea to use 2.5x at all. It can be a big risk. (experimental filesystem changes....)

You can try patches from here here: http://thuis.zwanebloem.nl/nvidia

I thought that patch doesn't work anymore because 2.5x changed a lot.

When 2.6x comes out nvidia will support it officially.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-02, 02:01 PM   #3
rol

Hello,

I clearly understand your point about Dev. kernels... so should I
conclude that all the kernel Hackers are using plain old VT100 screen and are not allowed to benefit from graphical displays ?
Should I also understand that NVidia has committed to deliver
a running driver the day 2.6.1 will be there, and that it will be bullet proof with no feedback from the community before ?

I don't ask a supported driver (in fact, I can't really consider that the drivers provided by NVidia are supported, they are just the only ones...), but simply something decent enough to allow
X to start...even some kind of "Interim", -ac or -dj, pre- release.

Is that too much to ask for ?

Paul
Old 08-14-02, 02:43 PM   #4
r0gu3

Send a message via AIM to r0gu3

There is a patch that has been floating around to make it run with SOME 2.5 kernels... you'll have to do some searching around to find more on it. I wish i could help you more.

But as far as development of support for the 2.5 kernel, Does nvidia realease drivers for the newest mac os while its still in beta??? hell no!!! But with the linux driver you get a part of the source so it can be modified to compile for other kernels

So yes, it MAY work for the 2.5 kernel your running, but nvidia isn't about to start shooting at a moving target to support it

- r0gu3
r0gu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-02, 11:26 PM   #5
bheilbrun

NVidia wouldn't have to shoot a moving target if they'd open source their drivers.

Then they'd have a hundred people fixing their drivers for them... for free. Apparently that doesn't qualify as a good thing in their book.

Not to mention the improved stability... bugfix turnaround... and inclusion into the default kernel source which would eliminate all of the install steps that so many people seem to have problems with.
Old 08-22-02, 06:31 AM   #6
adnans
Geforce FX5200Go

Quote:
Originally posted by rol

I clearly understand your point about Dev. kernels... so should I conclude that all the kernel Hackers are using plain old VT100 screen and are not allowed to benefit from graphical displays ?
You can always use the "nv" driver that is distributed with XFree86. It works fine with 2.5.x kernels. That way you, as a developer, will still have the benefit of a graphical display, even on 2.5.x! If on the other hand you are a developer that needs serious hardware accellerated 3D you should definitely not be running any 2.5.x kernel right now, you will risk loosing all your work for no apparent gain. And yes, many kernel hackers use VT100 displays and vi to hack away

Quote:

Is that too much to ask for ?
IMHO at this point, yes. The 2.5.x kernels are so volatile it's not even funny.

-adnans
adnans is offline   Reply With Quote