Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Crysis

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-17-07, 08:50 PM   #1
Nanosuitguy
call me Nano

Send a message via MSN to Nanosuitguy
Default Draw distance really sucks... do this! *pics included*

I think the drawdistance really sucks in crysis, so i made a little tweaking and compared before and after. Here is what i came up with, pretty big difference;

http://aycu28.webshots.com/image/366...7002964_rs.jpg - Original
http://aycu08.webshots.com/image/362...2834814_rs.jpg - After

http://aycu10.webshots.com/image/388...7364944_rs.jpg - Original
http://aycu39.webshots.com/image/377...7942823_rs.jpg - After

This is the config;

e_water_ocean_soft_particles = 1
e_water_tesselation_amount = 10
e_water_tesselation_swath_width = 10
e_cull_veg_activation = 100
e_detail_materials_view_dist_xy = 8192
e_detail_materials_view_dist_z = 256
e_vegetation_sprites_distance_ratio = 1.7
e_view_dist_ratio_vegetation = 80
e_view_dist_ratio = 130
e_view_dist_ratio_detail = 30
e_lods = 0
e_lod_ratio = 10
e_lod_max = 0
e_terrain_lod_ratio = 0.8
e_terrain_normal_map = 0
e_terrain_texture_lod_ratio = 0.7
g_battleDust_enable = 1
r_VSync = 1
d3d9_TripleBuffering = 1
r_WaterUpdateFactor = 0.01
r_WaterUpdateDistance = 0.2
r_OceanLodDist = 200
r_BeamsDistFactor = 0.01
r_BeamsMaxSlices = 200
r_colorgrading = 1
r_UsePOM = 0
r_TexAtlasSize = 2048
r_VegetationSpritesTexRes = 128
r_DynTexAtlasSpritesMaxSize = 32
r_TexturesStreaming = 0

Drawdistance can be pushed far beyond this point, but theres just not enuf power yet to do that...
Nanosuitguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-07, 09:25 PM   #2
malachi1313

Default Re: Draw distance really sucks... do this! *pics included*

And where and how do you change this? What sux about the config files in crysis is that there are four of them. Which one do you change that is the one you are using in game?
malachi1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-07, 09:27 PM   #3
agentkay

What "setting" are the "original" screenshot based on? I'm guessing it's medium or low because "high" certainly has better draw distance than your "original" screenshots.

Do you also know what performance hit the improved draw distance causes?

Thanks in advance.

Intel I7-920 aircooled by Prolimatech Megahalems @ 3.8Ghz (200x19) | Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R | OCZ Platinum 3x2GB DDR3-1600 RAM (7-7-7-24) @ 1600 | Gainward GTX 480 | WD Raptor 74GB + 150GB + Samsung 1TB | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair AX850 Gold | Coolermaster Stacker 830 silver | Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech G25 Racing Wheel | Sharp LC-46 XL1E (gaming and work)
F CliffyB.
agentkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-07, 09:51 PM   #4
Nanosuitguy
call me Nano

Sorry guys for beeing unspecific here. You create a file called system.cfg and open it with notepad, there you just paste the settings i provided and save it in the crysis main folder and thats it...

Agenkay, all 4 pictures where taken at Veryhigh settings, you can see from the colorgrading for example. Only thing that is changed is the config with those settings in it. And ofcourse there is performance impact when using this config, there is pretty much more grass, bushes, stones, trees and stuff to render, i also changed some LOD settings so furhter away objects and stuff have greater quality, also the distance sprites are pushed away even further away and the sprite quality is cranked up lol...

I cant really say how much this will impact on the performance, try it out and report back here
Old 12-17-07, 10:04 PM   #5
bacon12

If those were at very high and you will take a performance hit then your fps must be damn near unbearable.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-07, 10:09 PM   #6
Nanosuitguy
call me Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12
If those were at very high and you will take a performance hit then your fps must be damn near unbearable.
I only played on veryhigh for those compare pics sake lol... i cant run at all veryhigh anyways... now please try to focus on the subject.
Old 12-17-07, 10:12 PM   #7
bacon12

It was a question as much as a statement. If you were able to play at very high with this draw.cfg I was gonna for sure be using it.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-07, 10:26 PM   #8
agentkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanosuitguy
Sorry guys for beeing unspecific here. You create a file called system.cfg and open it with notepad, there you just paste the settings i provided and save it in the crysis main folder and thats it...

Agenkay, all 4 pictures where taken at Veryhigh settings, you can see from the colorgrading for example. Only thing that is changed is the config with those settings in it. And ofcourse there is performance impact when using this config, there is pretty much more grass, bushes, stones, trees and stuff to render, i also changed some LOD settings so furhter away objects and stuff have greater quality, also the distance sprites are pushed away even further away and the sprite quality is cranked up lol...

I cant really say how much this will impact on the performance, try it out and report back here
Yes you are right, sorry but I used some LOD improvements already in my regular cfg and forgot how the regular "high" settings looked like at that spot. *doh*

I removed the cfg and set everything to "high" and performance was around 32fps with my current settings (1080p no AF/AA). After adding your values to the system.cfg the performance went down to 17fps. Then I enabled POM and added 16AF and to my surprise the performance it was only 1 or 2 frames per second slower at the same location like your screenshots. I find that very interesting because I remember that older drivers (I'm using .21) had a much larger performance hit in Crysis with AF.

Thanks again for finding these values. I do think some of them cause a big performance hit but it might be worth to experiment which are keepers and which should be reduced.

I do want to point out that the cause for the blurry mountain textures: enabled texture streaming. It does NOT cost any performance at all to have it disabled as I have previously tested it. r_TexturesStreaming = 0 is a must have on every XP 32-bit system with Crysis.

Intel I7-920 aircooled by Prolimatech Megahalems @ 3.8Ghz (200x19) | Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R | OCZ Platinum 3x2GB DDR3-1600 RAM (7-7-7-24) @ 1600 | Gainward GTX 480 | WD Raptor 74GB + 150GB + Samsung 1TB | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair AX850 Gold | Coolermaster Stacker 830 silver | Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech G25 Racing Wheel | Sharp LC-46 XL1E (gaming and work)
F CliffyB.

Old 12-17-07, 11:34 PM   #9
Nanosuitguy
call me Nano

Interesting, it dropped down that much? I am amazed lol.. I think its the LOD settings that is the fps thiev here. Let me look at it... I should mention that reason that there was no majore performance loss when adding AF is that The lockup type used on the textures when POM is enabled doesn't support AF at this time. I mailed crytek about it and they said that they should look into this issue and discuss if it would be added to a patch. For now i prefer AF and sharp mid and long range textures infront of massive parallax mapping. Good thing that even without POM there is already a pretty good parallax mapping, so i dont really miss POM there, great if they could fix it so we can use both thoo... we'll just have to wait and see..

Yes i am aware of the texture streaming thing, just disabled it so it would be totally "original" then it looks more dramatic in the comparision shots too...

Now can you please tell me what to do next, i added -dx9 to my crysis shortcut in vista, but what shall i change to get the same quality as dx10 veryhigh but in actual dx9? for better performance...

Edit, i think i found the thiev.. its e_lods = 0 You want to have this on 1, or just remove this command as its on 1 as default...

Madboris is the shiiet, heres some goodies worth reading through to get a better understanding;

LOD
Level of detail. Providing levels of detail is very important for performance. It transitions the quality of textures, objects and trees to lower quality the farther into the distance that they are. To render things in the distance at full quality, when you don’t even have the pixels on your monitor in a square few millimeters to actually properly show it on screen, would be very wasteful. Why render a barrel at full quality with textures a kilometer away if it will only be two pixels high on your monitor. To do that would affect performance seriously without any benefit. Crysis implements Lod’s very well, not the distance per se which can benefit from some tweaking, but the quality of lower level LOD’s looks quite acceptable at a distance. So they are definitely good to use. Certain objects have a preset amount of LOD’s, like shadow maps have 5 LOD’s. So for a given LOD view distance of say 100 meters, it would transition to the next LOD every 20 meters.
e_lods – This setting tells the game to use LOD’s, it’s the master setting to enable or disable them for objects. If you set it to 0 in the console you will see an example of full detail on 3d objects in your current view distance (stones, textures, buildings, terrain). So if you had a view distance (next section) set to see barrels a mile away, setting this to 0 would render them at full quality (very wasteful). It’s a good exercise to see the effects of LOD and to disable this to 0, but we definitely want to use LOD, so this should be left to 1 for your gaming time.
e_lod_min - Min LOD for objects. You will come across settings of min and max on various settings so I use this as an example. This particular min setting is of objects, mostly certain large rocks, certain cliffs and trees a bit (not the small/medium rocks on the beaches). This setting is set to 0 by default. Think of 0 as closest to you and 0 being best quality. This setting works in concert with max.
e_lod_max – Max LOD for objects. Max sets the outer amount of LOD transitions, in this case mostly the quality of rocks in the ocean and certain rock cliffs as objects. It’s set to 6 by default. So what these settings do together is take a specified length of view distance, and divide it up into 7 LOD transitions, 0 being best, 6 being lowest quality. So as an example if you could see a rock popping out of the ocean at 70 meters max view distance, every ten meters you get closer to it then it will transition to a better LOD. As I understand it, these settings work along with a culling view distance. So if you changed the max from 6 to 4 then there would only be 5 transitions instead of 7 for the given distance, with the last two lowest quality not used. As I mentioned the quality of the LOD’s is real good, especially on objects so not rendering every brick on a building at half a mile is a good thing. Not sure much needs to be done with this setting particularly but that is how min/max works with LOD’s.

VIEW DISTANCE –
This is how far you can see something (profound). Sometimes this may be a value in meters or in some other world units. A couple examples…
e_detail_materials_view_dist_xy – This determines how far you will see materials in the distance like mountain tops and certain rocky cliffs. I prefer 4096 or even 8192 to see the distant mountains. Reducing this to 0 shows exactly what it effects.
e_cull_veg_activation – View limit on where procedural trees are culled. (70 is a good step up)
r_detaildistance – works with with view distance on showing r_detailnumlayers.

RATIOS –
Ratios are great. They serve as a multiplier for many settings simultaneously. The beauty is with ratios that the way things cull into the distance is already done for you pretty well. In other words, you won’t see bushes a 100 meters ahead, but trees at only 50. Everything is pretty well balanced for you. So changing the multiplier(ratio) changes everything under the control of that ratio by a factor. In most cases, ratios are the settings to focus on.
e_view_dist_ratio – Setting this to 0 removes all the objects that this setting controls, so it immediately shows you which objects this controls exactly. It controls view distance on rocks in the ocean and every human object(buildings, boxes, barrels, docks, everything showing a remnant a human exists in the world (except vehicles).
e_view_dist_ratio_vegetation – This setting is great, it’s one of my favorite. Also try setting this to 0, as it will show you exactly what it affects. You will see a barren wasteland at 0 but this barren wasteland is also a great tip in working on seeing your terrain tweaks later on (next section). This ratio serves as a distance multiplier for all vegetation and includes small/medium sized rocks on the beach. The other objects like big rocks in water, some cliff faces and all human objects are unaffected, they are controlled by the previous setting. So between the above two settings we cover everything in the world except terrain, textures, vehicles and players.
e_lod_ratio – The ratio of LOD distance transitions. This affects the distance of LOD transitions on the objects that e_view_dist_ratio actually controls(rocks in the ocean and every human object). It is a ratio so it will work as a multiplier on many objects making certain human objects look better at short/medium distances. 6 is default and is ok, but 10 is better and only effects fps by a meager few percent from 6 to 10. The more objects in view, the more effect this will have. LOD any higher on far distant objects which cannot be properly seen would just take away performance. 6 or 8 may be sufficient for many people because as mentioned LOD’s are pretty good so go ahead and see what you think.

Terrain and Textures -
This has to do with terrain on beaches, mountain sides, etc. Also textures on rocks and other objects in the world. It is suggested you remove vegetation when trying to see what this effects below. e_view_dist_ratio and …_vegetation to 0 will give you excellent view of terrain textures.
e_terrain_lod_ratio – This is set to 1 by default. If you want to see full LOD of the type of terrain this affects try 0 (prepare for triangles/sec x 5). On the other hand try 50 for the low LOD. Disabling ‘e_view_dist_ratio’ and ‘_vegetation’ will really help to see what this does by removing all vegetation and objects. 1 is actually pretty good, you can get away with .8 but in all fairness 1 looks pretty good. Raise this to 1.5 - 2 to get more fill rate performance.
e_terrain_texture_lod_ratio - Terrain texture LOD. Considering that it's covered by vegetation and anything in the far distance is only a few pixels anyway, this doesn't make sense to go any lower than .7. Remove all vegetation first to see it’s real visual effects. Setting it to 0 shows full LOD. Raise it above 1 for more performance.
e_view_dist_custom_ratio - View distance ratio for special marked objects (Players, enemies, Vehicles). It does not work at runtime in console, requires level restart.
r_TexturesStreaming - Setting this to 0 had a profound effect on some textures in the game, especially mountains. Apparently this disables streaming which will rely more on your video card memory. Also this setting should be at the end of a config file because it can be turned on automatically by other settings being adjusted.
r_TexAtlasSize – is simply a way textures are combined together. 2048 is preferred for high end.

Sprites & vegetation –
Sprites have been around for ever. They are basically 2D objects in the distance that transition into low LOD 3d objects as you get closer to them.
e_vegetation_sprites_distance_ratio – Turning this to 0 turns everything into a sprite. Since this is a ratio it turns everything into 3d at different distances. 1.7 is decent but this setting has a lot of effect on performance.
e_vegetation_sprites_distance_custom_ratio_min – 1 is a good default. 2 shows a lot more 3d objects, but at their poor LOD in the distance, sprites are probably preferred. We don’t have the power to render more trees at higher ranges and LOD’s so 1 is good. This is just here as an example of distance ratios.
r_VegetationSpritesTexRes – This determines the resolution of the sprites. Setting this from 64 to 128 increases sprites quality in the distance. To prevent sprites popping, I suggest raising the sprites buffer to r_DynTexAtlasSpritesMaxSize = 32 with it.
Old 12-17-07, 11:54 PM   #10
agentkay

Quote:
Now can you please tell me what to do next, i added -dx9 to my crysis shortcut in vista, but what shall i change to get the same quality as dx10 veryhigh but in actual dx9? for better performance...
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...5&postcount=60

Gaco's 1.01 config is the way to go, but you have to add following settings to archieve the same quality as DX10 on veryhigh:

r_MotionBlur = 4 (object-based blur, there is a value "3" but apparently it works only in DX10)
r_DepthOfField = 2 (background mountains blur sightly)

And finally you have to force "veryhigh" shadows because the configs' shadows are only on "high".

Edit: e_lods = 1 - That one alone made a HUGE improvement to the framerate, from 17fps to 24fps without any visible reduction of image quality. Nice!

F CliffyB.
Old 12-18-07, 12:06 AM   #11
Nanosuitguy
call me Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentkay
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...5&postcount=60

Gaco's 1.01 config is the way to go, but you have to add following settings to archieve the same quality as DX10 on veryhigh:

r_MotionBlur = 4 (object-based blur, there is a value "3" but apparently it works only in DX10)
r_DepthOfField = 2 (background mountains blur sightly)

And finally you have to force "veryhigh" shadows because the configs' shadows are only on "high".
Is that everything? What about colorgrading, sunrays and water?

Also i like high shadows better than the veryhigh ones.. the veryhigh ones are too washed out. I like them more chrispy...

Oh and i cant decide witch i like better, with colorgrading or without it... Whats your opinion agentkay?
Old 12-18-07, 12:14 AM   #12
agentkay

Quote:
Is that everything? What about colorgrading, sunrays and water?

Also i like high shadows better than the veryhigh ones.. the veryhigh ones are too washed out. I like them more chrispy...

Oh and i cant decide witch i like better, with colorgrading or without it... Whats your opinion agentkay?
Colorgrading, sunrays, POM and "DX10" water are there. I like colorgrading so I personally would leave it on and at my settings it does "costs" only 1.4 fps (just loaded up a save and compared framerate while switching it on and off).

F CliffyB.