Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-21-07, 06:12 AM   #37
buffbiff21
*B4NNED*

Default Re: First Drake's Uncharted Review is in

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
I still haven't compeleted Final Fantasy XII
I have no motivation to complete XII. There are so many poor points to that game I don't even know where to begin.
  • Junky story. Plenty of characters are introduced and exist for a good 10 minutes on screen.
  • Inspirationally boring characters, with exception of Balthier.
  • With these piss poor characters and story comes terrible voice acting. Everyone has a halfassed British dialect!!! On top of that they suddenly decided to cut audio quality budget and reduce live voice sampling rate frequency. Bummer. That's why the 's' sound is so harsh and thin!
  • Battle system. You don't even have to wait for the ATB gauge to fill up anymore. Nope. Just sit back and do nothing. Additionally, magic in this game is quite ineffective. So, you can just program your characters to Attack -> Nearest Enemy. Game Over.
  • Non existent character individuality. I mean this in both their personality and in their combat features. Same dull dialogue, same stats/ability capabilities.
  • The License Grid. WTF?????
  • Dungeons. Fight through 100 of the same monster and find a weak, unspectacular, random weapon/armor/item. Oh, but you have to unlock this item/armor on the License Grid before you can even equip it!!!
  • Music. Goodbye Nobuo, you will be missed.
---------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, Lamespot gave Uncharted an 8.0:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/u...ne/review.html, and it has an 8.9 overall user average. Quite good, but not system seller... I may pick up PS3 very soon though.
Old 11-21-07, 08:17 AM   #38
ralinn
Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffbiff21
I have no motivation to complete XII. There are so many poor points to that game I don't even know where to begin.
  • Junky story. Plenty of characters are introduced and exist for a good 10 minutes on screen.
  • Inspirationally boring characters, with exception of Balthier.
  • With these piss poor characters and story comes terrible voice acting. Everyone has a halfassed British dialect!!! On top of that they suddenly decided to cut audio quality budget and reduce live voice sampling rate frequency. Bummer. That's why the 's' sound is so harsh and thin!
  • Battle system. You don't even have to wait for the ATB gauge to fill up anymore. Nope. Just sit back and do nothing. Additionally, magic in this game is quite ineffective. So, you can just program your characters to Attack -> Nearest Enemy. Game Over.
  • Non existent character individuality. I mean this in both their personality and in their combat features. Same dull dialogue, same stats/ability capabilities.
  • The License Grid. WTF?????
  • Dungeons. Fight through 100 of the same monster and find a weak, unspectacular, random weapon/armor/item. Oh, but you have to unlock this item/armor on the License Grid before you can even equip it!!!
  • Music. Goodbye Nobuo, you will be missed.
---------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, Lamespot gave Uncharted an 8.0:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/u...ne/review.html, and it has an 8.9 overall user average. Quite good, but not system seller... I may pick up PS3 very soon though.
This is going to sound weird, but I agree with you... but I still like FFXII. I've not completed it yet and I've left it for about 5 months! By the time I get a chance to play the game again, I'll have to start from the beginning because I just wouldn't be able to remember wtf is going on.

3Dmark06 Score: Who the **** actually cares?
360 & PSN ID: ralinn
ralinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-07, 08:22 AM   #39
ENU291
Die spammer!! DIE!!!

Send a message via AIM to ENU291 Send a message via Yahoo to ENU291

Quote:
I honestly dont care for a games lenght... if its fun and keeps me entertain all the way through then it was worth the money. Thats why I liked Heavenly Sword, it was short but dam good the entire way through.

Heck, I love long RPGs but I rarely have the time to complete any, I still haven't compeleted Final Fantasy XII and im a ***** for the Final Fantasy games...
Are you still playing Heavenly Sword? I'll agree that it was an enjoyable game but after I finished it ( 6 1/2 hours) I had no desire to play it again. I'm glad I rented it (thank you Gamefly!).
EVGA 8800GTX; Asus MSN-SLI Deluxe mobo; Athlon X2 5200+(225X13/2.93GHZ); Corsair XMS TWIN2X (1024X4); WD Raptor 150GB HD; MAXTOR 500GB HD; CL X-Fi XtremeGamer; Xbox360 HD-DVD; Plextor 18X DVD-RW/+RW; Dell 2707WFP

Registered Linux User # 444118 Xbox360 GamerTag: StryderXx PSN ID: StryderXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
Gamers are the most unhappy and miserable consumer group I know of. Just sit back, relax and have fun.
ENU291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-07, 08:30 AM   #40
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENU291
Are you still playing Heavenly Sword? I'll agree that it was an enjoyable game but after I finished it ( 6 1/2 hours) I had no desire to play it again. I'm glad I rented it (thank you Gamefly!).
Nope, I beat it and put it on the shelf. I pop it in every now and then when one of my graphic ***** friends come over. Its a nice display piece, I hope they get funding for the sequel.
Old 11-21-07, 08:58 AM   #41
Lfctony

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralinn
This is going to sound weird, but I agree with you... but I still like FFXII. I've not completed it yet and I've left it for about 5 months! By the time I get a chance to play the game again, I'll have to start from the beginning because I just wouldn't be able to remember wtf is going on.
Haven't completed FFXII either. Found it boring and absolutely hated the battle system. Too bad, I was looking forward to it.
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-07, 12:44 PM   #42
ralinn
Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfctony
Haven't completed FFXII either. Found it boring and absolutely hated the battle system. Too bad, I was looking forward to it.
To me, it didn't feel like a final fantasy at all, so I treated it as a completely different games. FFvXIII should be much more similar to FF7 (in style), so that's the only FF I'm now looking forward too.

3Dmark06 Score: Who the **** actually cares?
360 & PSN ID: ralinn
ralinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-07, 01:35 PM   #43
Lyme

Quote:
I honestly dont care for a games length... if its fun and keeps me entertain all the way through then it was worth the money. Thats why I liked Heavenly Sword, it was short but dam good the entire way through.
Out of curiousity, where do you draw the line. Given a amazingly entertaining game, would you pay:
$60 for 2hrs?
$120 for 2hrs?
$180 for 2hrs?
$60 for 1hr?
etc?

At what point does a entertaining game's length/price become a issue?
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-07, 01:49 PM   #44
christos

I think replayability / fun factor means a lot more than length. Back in the early 80's I would have gladly paid $60 for arcade perfect ports for many of the games (ms pacman, donkey kong, outrun, shinobi, crystal castles). THe length of those games is probably measured in minutes, not hours, but back then I could replay them over and over, making it worth it.

For today's games, I find the ideal length 5-10 solid, non-repetitive, entertaining hours. Anything less than 5 hours, has to be a game like geometry wars galaxies, where I can replay it over and over.
christos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-07, 02:05 PM   #45
LurkerLito

For me it depends. In general though 10-12hrs = Ok for $60, Less than 10 needs to be $40-$50 max. Of course some games have tons of replay value that I don't mind spending $50-$60 even if they are on the short side like fighting games, Gun Games like Time Crisis.

Even though I think HS was short if they give us a free downloadable extras like Timed Kai missions and timed canon ball, and things like survivor Arena where they keep throwing more and more enemies at you to see how long you last, I think HS would be well worth the $60.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-07, 01:19 PM   #46
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos
I think replayability / fun factor means a lot more than length. Back in the early 80's I would have gladly paid $60 for arcade perfect ports for many of the games (ms pacman, donkey kong, outrun, shinobi, crystal castles). THe length of those games is probably measured in minutes, not hours, but back then I could replay them over and over, making it worth it.

For today's games, I find the ideal length 5-10 solid, non-repetitive, entertaining hours. Anything less than 5 hours, has to be a game like geometry wars galaxies, where I can replay it over and over.
Exactly... People who complain about how short games are now confuse me, since I remember quite vividly them being much shorter before. Uncharted would be compared to what, Contra? That's a shooter/platformer... and Contra lasted like, 20 minutes? NES/SNES games only had length because you died a lot.

Uncharted took me 8 hours and 20 minutes according to my save file, and that's not counting when I died, which toward the end was quite a lot. It's a solid 8 hours of amazing entertainment, in my opinion one of the best games of the year, and the collectibles and achievements offer replay value for those who love the game.

Well worth $60 in my opinion. Compared to the $20 I just spent for 2 hours of Live Free or Die Hard it's a bargain.
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-07, 05:11 PM   #47
LurkerLito

Just finished the game today, it took about 9 hours and it was a lot of fun. I don't think it was too short and given the story I think it was just the right length. I think had they made it longer it would have lost something and became a bit boring and repetitive.

It's also one of the few PS3 games that didn't install a huge cache file to the HD, though I wish it would have give me the option to because there were a few spots where I could hear the drive loading as I saw the texture detail slowly increase.

There were only 2 things about the game I didn't like that much. One was the Jetski section, it just didn't feel right because they made you control both characters at the same time. Second was the Dragon's Lair/God of War button press timing thing. It was just because of the placement of the indicator that I hated it. Lower Left hand corner is just a bad spot because by the time I noticed it there I missed it. It probably will affect people more depending on the size of the TV in relation to the distance you sit from the screen but in my case I don't think I got it right the first time any time it happened. Good thing these 2 things didn't happen all that often in the game.

One minor annoyance for me in terms of immersion was when you put in 5 rounds of AK-47 ammo on a Tank top wearing enemy and he can still be alive was a bit jarring. I'd rather they made it at least look like he had some kind of crappy body armor.

For the sequel which I am sure will probably be made, I'd love them to have the game playable from the other character's perspective. It would help with replay factor of the game. IMO there really isn't much in the game currently in terms of replay other than going through it again and getting the various "achievements" and hidden treasures.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-07, 05:24 PM   #48
ENU291
Die spammer!! DIE!!!

Send a message via AIM to ENU291 Send a message via Yahoo to ENU291

I finished the game as well. The game was fun but I also found a few things that rubbed me the wrong way. Toward the end there were a few levels that were way to dark. The strange thing is that at times you were given a flash light and at other times you're left in the dark. Weapon effectiveness was another issue (as was previously mentioned). The last thing was the floaty running animation and the auto camera. Uncharted is a good game that could have been great with a little more dev time under it's belt.
EVGA 8800GTX; Asus MSN-SLI Deluxe mobo; Athlon X2 5200+(225X13/2.93GHZ); Corsair XMS TWIN2X (1024X4); WD Raptor 150GB HD; MAXTOR 500GB HD; CL X-Fi XtremeGamer; Xbox360 HD-DVD; Plextor 18X DVD-RW/+RW; Dell 2707WFP

Registered Linux User # 444118 Xbox360 GamerTag: StryderXx PSN ID: StryderXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
Gamers are the most unhappy and miserable consumer group I know of. Just sit back, relax and have fun.
ENU291 is offline   Reply With Quote