Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Crysis

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-17-07, 12:00 PM   #85
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Default Re: Post your final config for retail crysis here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parecon
Compliments to mortster...

con_restricted=0
r_displayinfo=0
r_motionblur=0
r_sunshafts=1
r_useedgeaa=0

;these vars turn on color grading, which gives the very high look
q_renderer=3
r_colorgrading=1

; water very high override
r_WaterRefractions=1
r_WaterReflections=1
r_WaterUpdateFactor=0.05
e_water_tesselation_amount=10
e_water_tesselation_swath_width=10
r_WaterUpdateDistance=0.2
r_WaterCaustics=1
r_WaterReflectionsQuality=4
e_water_ocean_fft=1
q_ShaderWater=2
r_WaterReflectionsMinVisiblePixelsUpdate=0.05

This is simple yet effective. I run 64 bit DX9 exe through Vista 64 with everything set to high and that config. You get very high water and sun shades, etc... great visuals with 25+ fps performance at 1920x1200.

r_WaterRefractions=1
r_WaterReflections=1
r_WaterUpdateFactor=0.05
e_water_tesselation_swath_width=10
r_WaterCaustics=1
r_WaterReflectionsMinVisiblePixelsUpdate=0.05

According to Mad Boris, these values are the same for high - no need to apply them again.

e_water_tesselation_amount=10
e_water_ocean_fft=1

These are great, I also have this

I originally abandoned these because I wanted to keep it simple, but I think I'll actually adobt these as well so the water looks more very high'ish, though I sure hope they don't cost much performance, because reading the descriptions and thinking of what they'll do, there are more important parameters for visual quality of the water

q_ShaderWater=2

Dude 2 = high, not very high - why would you want this?
CPU: Intel Core2 Q6600@3.3ghz w. Noctua NH-U12P
RAM: 4Gb Crucial Tracer PC-8500
Graphics: XFX Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition
Harddiscs: 2xRaptorX 150gb 10.000 RPM in RAID0
Soundcard: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Sound: Sennheiser HD600 Headphones + headamp
Keyboard: Logitech DiNovo Edge
Mouse: Razor Orochi
Monitor: Samsung 2232BW (22" 1680*1050)
Gaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-07, 12:06 PM   #86
GitDat

Here's what I'm talking about with the Shaders:

Shaders - Very High

Shaders - Medium

How can I keep the colorful vibrance of the Medium setting but still keep the very detailed POM of the Very High setting?

I've tried different settings of these Shader commands but can't figure it out:

q_ShaderPostProcess
q_Renderer
q_ShaderGeneral
q_ShaderFX
q_ShaderSky
q_ShaderTerrain
q_ShaderVegetation
q_ShaderWater
q_ShaderMetal
q_ShaderGlass
q_ShaderIce
q_ShadowHDR
q_ShaderShadow
EVGA Z77 FTW | Core i7 3770k @ 4.7GHz | 16GB G.Skill Trident-X 2400MHz | SLI EVGA GTX Titan SC's | Intel 520 SSD's RAID-0 | ThermalTake 1475watt | 3DMark Fire Strike Extreme - 8941 | Windows 8 Pro 64-bit | NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround
GitDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-07, 12:52 PM   #87
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar
Ok basically what this guy was trying to do was make the whole lighting scheme more dramatic and after going from what I was initially playing through the game looking at to what I think may be a close to final revision on the whole HDR/SSAO value tweaking, he's right in that darker shadows do make a whole heluva lot of difference.

The new values I'm using make the shadows a little darker and the environment overall less washed out (if you could even call it that) but the screen shots speak for themselves.

Below are screen shots. One is original config and the other is my currently modified config and then 2 random screen shots using the current config that I just took becuase I think the buildings in particular look better with this new SSAO/HDR.

I know some of these are redundant. and there are still things I'm working on trying to improve
Ok

Quote:
r_VSync=1
d3d9_TripleBuffering=1
Are you sure that these actually works or makes a difference? I noticed none, which makes sense since 25FPS average and 60hz refreshrate is far from eachother.

Quote:
r_ssao_radius=0.1 the lower the better. the higher this number gets, the darker the shadows get. Try going from like .1 to 10 and you'll see.
So you like bright looking shadows since you say "lower is better"? Or does this have a good effect on FPS?

Quote:
r_ssao_quality=2 not a huge difference changing this but it does affect the way the shadows look that objects cast. I think 2 looks most realistic.
Fine if it doesn't lower FPS I'll use this as well

Quote:
r_ssao_amount=.7 controls how much shadow effect happens in a way. similar to the radius but not the same effect. past a value of 1 and it starts looking un natrual dark. Too low and it's faded and washed out and shadows aren't as real looking
I just think I'll leave this at default 1 unless you believe this looks much better or gives better FPS - does it?

Quote:
r_SSAO_darkening=0.6 kinda obvious but it controls how dark globally everything is relating to shadows. Anything past .6 or so looks way too dark and loses texture detail. Where this guy is pulling values over 3 from is beyond me. It looks horrible at anything over 1 and there is no FPS benefit at all.
Again I'll just leave this as default unless you believe it looks much better or gives an FPS - does it?

Quote:
r_TerrainAO_FadeDist=1 this defines how much shading you see from things like tress and vegetation. The higher the number, the less self shadowing the shrubs and vegetation produce. A value of 1 looks by FAR the best. No affect on FPS. The last 2 pictures in this thread illustrate a fadedist value of 1 and 10.
If you say so, I'm taking this one in then - I wonder what the default value is though...

Quote:
r_HDRlevel=.8 this one can be adjusted to suite your own tastes. Personally I prefer a little bit extra glow but that's just me. I think a value of .7 or .8 look best and anything past .9 or 1 will start to be too bright and bloomy and cartoon looking but under .6 or so and you won't get the nice sun shine reflection off shiny surfaces like your gun or metal siding and palm tree leaves. **EDIT** at night this level is too high and going back to the default level works best but during the day, the higher HDR levels look better.
Ok I'll just keep it at the default 0.6 then

Quote:
r_TexturesStreaming=0 this one is been beaten into the ground at this point.
Ya the mountaintextures fix.. It only helps/affects the 32bit users though right? I'll just keep it in my config for their sake.

Quote:
r_ColorGrading=1 leave as is for more real looking atmospheric colors
Agreed, I'm also using this

Quote:
r_ShadowJittering=1 again, I leave as is
What is this? From the sound of it, I think I prefer a value of 1 as well, but an explaination would be nice

Quote:
r_ShadowBlur=0 ok heres another personal preference. This controls how the shadows are blurred (duh). level 1 is sort of speckled and higher than that, it seems like the shadows look too fake. level 1 is ok but on the edge of the shadows you still get the little tiny speckles of black where they're trying to blend it into the surface of the texture or something. Setting this to zero just looks most real to me and it's directly correlated with the shadow texture size. see below
So this is what's causing some shadows to look like a collection of tiny dots up close? I'm taking this one in also

Quote:
e_gsm_lods_num=4 HUGE performance killer/booster here but also makes a big impact on shadows. Essentially, this controls how near or far the shadows are drawn to you. A value of 4 (default) gives the best performance for what you get on screen ratio. Lowering the value to 3 will give you about 4 extra FPS but you'll now be able to see the shadows coming into view. On the other hand, cranking it to 5 or 6 was absolutely awesome on the eyes as it drew more and more tree self shadowing into the jungle and vegetation but the FPS took a massive nose dive.
Great, gonna use this one - is this the secret to the performance gain of that original dark config?

Quote:
e_shadows_from_terrain_in_all_lods=1 This has no real affect near you but when set to 1, will essentially draw shadows up on the mountain. A ridge will cast a shadow onto the mountain surface behind it. A must have and no impact on FPS.
This is default on both high and very high setting so no need to apply this one?

Quote:
r_UseEdgeAA=1 another highly discussed cvar. there is no performance difference on any values but I think at zero, it looks too thin and jagged and on 2, it's too fluffy. 1 is just right to me.
I haven't really played so much with this setting so I was just using 2. I'll take your word for it, changing to 1

Quote:
e_shadows_max_texture_size=1024 another big performance item I've discovered. Higher is not better with this. This controls the detail level of the shadows. an example of the 3 values of 768, 1024 and 2048 are shown below with the screenies. I think 2048 looks a little un natrual.. like the shadows are too well defined. Not real at all. On the other hand while, in the 768 screen shot, the low LOD of the leaf shadows does (to me) look most real life like, looking elsewhere, the shadows are big ugly blobs with no definition and I would have preferred to have the 768 near surface level of detail while having just less shadows period drawn on the ground for big long palmtree shadow, but I don't want to have to mess with that since 1024 is a great compromise between the two.
Mad Boris says this should be 1024 on high and very high, so this shouldn't be necessary?

Quote:
e_view_dist_ratio=60 draws more. I saw no performance hit in any of the areas I took screen shots... may be different in big sprawling locations
Ok great... but accordong to Mad Boris it's 60 on all setting levels except low, so this should be unnecessary right?

Quote:
e_particles_lod=0.7 couldn't see any difference going from zero to 1 to 5, etc
Ok I'll just keep it at default 1 then.

Quote:
e_vegetation_min_size=1.5 again, no real difference
There is a difference in both image quality and performance for me as descriped, but I think it's worth the performance hit. Makes the distant trees somewhat, maybe even fully rendered, not sprites at very long ranges. Though since changing to the 169.09 it doesn't seem to make a difference to FPS all of the sudden whether it's on 1.0 or 1.5.. weird.

Quote:
e_view_dist_ratio_vegetation=60 draws more plants, cost 1 fps.
Yup I'm using this too. But I guess I could upgrade it from very high setting of 45 to 60 as well if you say it only costs 1 FPS. Yeah I'm gonna change to 60

Quote:
q_ShaderShadow=1 didn't mess with this one. I forgot.
Performance saver perhaps? I'm changing it from 1 to 3 as well anyway..

Quote:
r_EyeAdaptationBase=0.1 controls how quickly your eyes adjust to the HDR. the lower the number, the faster they adjust.

r_EyeAdaptationFactor=1 seems to be an off/on effect more or less. the lower the number, the less your eyes adapt to hdr. A value of 0 is full blast acid trip hdr bloom all over.
Ok I'm just gonna leave this on default, happy as it is and I can't find the default values :/

Quote:
r_sunshafts = 1
r_WaterGodRays 1
Agreed on sunshafts, but MB Says that watergodrays are set to 1 on high settings. This is one instance where I think he is wrong however since I saw no watergodrays when diving on high, but they were definently there on very high. I'm using this as well.

Quote:
r_UsePOM=0 This sucks up more resources than I thought. In some areas with muddy tire tracks, it ate up 5 fps. Yeah you can tell it's not being used when you stand still and look down at the ground but I don't think it's worth 5 fps when you're moving around the whole time... because you don't notice it not being on when you're actually moving but you DO notice the extra FPS from it being turned off.
Hmm.. I can definently see your point about the tracks, but there are other scenes where I think I'd be more happy with this turned on. I'm gonna leave it at 1 for now, may change if I find performance too bad.

Quote:
r_colorgrading=1
e_water_ocean_fft=1
Agreed.

Quote:
r_Flares=1
r_Coronas=1
What does these really do? MB says they are set to 1 on high settings, so I see no reason to have these?

ANYWAY, whew that was a lot of settings, looking foward to your response. However RedPony, I am especially and VERY interested in just knowing the parameters that gives better performance since I can see that you get that with your config compared to whatever you compared it to, and furthermore what makes Ken's config (guy from the ocuk forums) so well performing according to several people. I'd love to have his performance boosting commands in my own tweak, but leave out all the shadow and darkness adjustments
Old 11-17-07, 04:42 PM   #88
Nanosuitguy
call me Nano

Send a message via MSN to Nanosuitguy

lol Gaco, long quotes FTW :P... Anyway thanks pony for this great long wall of text.
I got some questions, what is correct this; "r_ssao_radius=0.1" or this; "r_ssao_radius = 0.1" Is it suppose to be spaces there or doesn't it matter?

Also why do you put "r_HDRlevel=.8" and not "r_HDRlevel=0.8" ? isn't its suppose to be a 0 there? What would be right?

Shall i put ponys commands in an autoexec.cfg or in something else?
Nanosuitguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-07, 05:15 PM   #89
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar

it works with the zero before the decimal or not.

Gaco, I think that ken's settings suck out so much color that the engine isn't having to render as much as quickly. He's trying to compensate for this by just overdoing the shadowing which kills the colors and detail in the shadows and as anyone who tried his original settings could see, there were wierd graphics anomolies that accompanied his settings like the wierd glow around the player's gun/hands and grass looked fluffy and blurry.

keeping the ssao_amount under a value of 1 yeilds better shadows but doesn't have the wierd glow effect.

I think the game uses e_gsm_lod_num = 4 by default. Ken's original config had this as the same value.

To be honest, I only saw a couple extra FPS between my original very high settings and what I've got now.

The main 2 FPS boosters I've found is keeping shadows down to 1024 (I was using 2048 earlier) and turning off POM. Try it. You would think POM is something you can't live without now that we've seen it but the game still does do a certain degree of POM so you're not TOTALLY out and just that extra 3~5 fps you gain makes a noticable difference.

I mean... dig these frame rates... especially in this first pic. It may be time for some AA

4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-07, 05:22 PM   #90
Nanosuitguy
call me Nano

Nice pics pony, but you didn't tell me wether to use "e_detail_materials_view_dist_xy = 4096" or "e_detail_materials_view_dist_xy=4096" Does it matter if theres spaces there or not?

Also, is r_WaterReflectionsQuality = 3 prettier than 4? according to Boris 3 is used for Ultra tweak... One more thing, shall i put the commands in an autoexec.cfg?

Please someone answer these questions!
Old 11-17-07, 05:33 PM   #91
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

IMO, color grading makes the colors worse. I'd rather have it like FarCry and have bright, vivid colors rather than washed out. I'm still tweaking mine . . .

Quote:
sys_spec_GameEffects = 3
sys_spec_ObjectDetail = 3
sys_spec_Particles = 3
sys_spec_Physics = 3
sys_spec_PostProcessing = 3
sys_spec_Quality = 3
sys_spec_Shading = 3
sys_spec_Shadows = 2
sys_spec_Texture = 3
sys_spec_VolumetricEffects = 3
sys_spec_Water = 3
sys_spec_Sound = 3

q_renderer = 3

r_sunshafts = 1
r_colorgrading = 0
r_UsePOM = 1
r_TexturesStreaming=0
r_UseEdgeAA = 2
r_WaterGodRays = 1
r_motionblur= 0
r_SSAO_amount = 1
r_SSAO = 1

e_water_ocean_fft = 1
e_water_tesselation_amount = 10
e_detail_materials_view_dist_xy = 4096
e_detail_materials_view_dist_z = 256
e_view_dist_ratio_vegetation = 45

es_DebrisLifetimeScale = 1

g_battleDust_enable = 1
g_ragdollDistance = 40
g_ragdollMinTime = 20

q_Renderer = 3
q_ShaderFX = 3
q_ShaderGeneral = 3
q_ShaderGlass = 3
q_ShaderHDR = 3
q_ShaderIce = 3
q_ShaderMetal = 3
q_ShaderPostProcess = 3
q_ShaderShadow = 3
q_ShaderSky = 3
q_ShaderTerrain = 3
q_ShaderVegetation = 3
q_ShaderWater = 3

e_vegetation_sprites_distance_ratio = 1.5
Based on Gaco's system.cfg . . . thanks man!

With Color Grading

Without Color Grading
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-07, 05:58 PM   #92
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanosuitguy
Nice pics pony, but you didn't tell me wether to use "e_detail_materials_view_dist_xy = 4096" or "e_detail_materials_view_dist_xy=4096" Does it matter if theres spaces there or not?

Also, is r_WaterReflectionsQuality = 3 prettier than 4? according to Boris 3 is used for Ultra tweak... One more thing, shall i put the commands in an autoexec.cfg?

Please someone answer these questions!
In DX9, you have to use water reflections quality 3. I haven't done anything extensive with view distance but I do know that with 4096 Z view distance, there are abnormal vegetation popups on distant hills so really I prefer 2048.
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-07, 06:06 PM   #93
Nanosuitguy
call me Nano

Quote:
In DX9, you have to use water reflections quality 3. I haven't done anything extensive with view distance but I do know that with 4096 Z view distance, there are abnormal vegetation popups on distant hills so really I prefer 2048.
No i am speaking about the spaces between the "=" letter for the love of god!
Is it suppose to be "r_UseEdgeAA=2" or "r_UseEdgeAA = 2" Witch one is correct? Is those spaces useless?

About the detail_materials_view_dist_xy, you should use 4096 it makes it look alot better. Check this comparision shot;
Old 11-17-07, 06:25 PM   #94
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Nanosuitguy: I use it with spaces (example: "r_UseEdgeAA = 2"), dunno if you works without, but I know it works with spaces

Pony.. mkay.. Well I'm done tweaking, I think I'm just gonna stick with my original 1.0 config after all. I tried a stripped-down version of the config and an experimental version with extra things added that I got from pony. Here's the benchmark results:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist
sys_spec_GameEffects = 3
sys_spec_Particles = 3
sys_spec_Physics = 3
sys_spec_Quality = 3
sys_spec_Shading = 3
sys_spec_Shadows = 2
sys_spec_Texture = 3
sys_spec_Water = 3
sys_spec_Sound = 3

q_renderer = 3

r_sunshafts = 1
r_colorgrading = 1
r_UsePOM = 1
r_UseEdgeAA = 1
r_WaterGodRays = 1

e_water_ocean_fft = 1
g_battleDust_enable = 1
^^Average FPS around 23 FPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balanced (config 1.0)
sys_spec_GameEffects = 3
sys_spec_Particles = 3
sys_spec_Physics = 3
sys_spec_Quality = 3
sys_spec_Shading = 3
sys_spec_Shadows = 2
sys_spec_Texture = 3
sys_spec_Water = 3
sys_spec_Sound = 3

q_renderer = 3

r_sunshafts = 1
r_colorgrading = 1
r_UsePOM = 1
r_TexturesStreaming=0
r_UseEdgeAA = 2
r_WaterGodRays = 1

e_water_ocean_fft = 1
e_view_dist_ratio_vegetation = 45

g_battleDust_enable = 1
g_ragdollDistance = 40
g_ragdollMinTime = 20

q_Renderer = 3
q_ShaderFX = 3
q_ShaderGeneral = 3
q_ShaderGlass = 3
q_ShaderHDR = 3
q_ShaderIce = 3
q_ShaderMetal = 3
q_ShaderPostProcess = 3
q_ShaderShadow = 3
q_ShaderSky = 3
q_ShaderTerrain = 3
q_ShaderVegetation = 3
q_ShaderWater = 3

^^ This is may original 1.0 config - gives me around 22 FPS average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by experimental
sys_spec_GameEffects = 3
sys_spec_Particles = 3
sys_spec_Physics = 3
sys_spec_Quality = 3
sys_spec_Shading = 3
sys_spec_Shadows = 2
sys_spec_Texture = 3
sys_spec_Water = 3
sys_spec_Sound = 3

q_renderer = 3

r_sunshafts = 1
r_colorgrading = 1
r_UsePOM = 0
r_TexturesStreaming=0
r_UseEdgeAA = 1
r_WaterGodRays = 1

e_water_ocean_fft = 1
e_view_dist_ratio_vegetation = 60

g_battleDust_enable = 1
g_ragdollDistance = 40
g_ragdollMinTime = 20

q_Renderer = 3
q_ShaderFX = 3
q_ShaderGeneral = 3
q_ShaderGlass = 3
q_ShaderHDR = 3
q_ShaderIce = 3
q_ShaderMetal = 3
q_ShaderPostProcess = 3
q_ShaderShadow = 1
q_ShaderSky = 3
q_ShaderTerrain = 3
q_ShaderVegetation = 3
q_ShaderWater = 3

r_ssao_quality=2
r_ShadowJittering = 1
r_ShadowBlur=0
e_gsm_lods_num = 4
Some extra things added and tweaked, gave me around 21 FPS.

Dunno I don't feel like losing 1 FPS on:
r_ssao_quality=2
r_ShadowJittering = 1
r_ShadowBlur=0
e_gsm_lods_num = 4

(edit: just read pony's post, so apparently water reflection quality only goes up to 3 in DX9.. that's kinda obvious actually, so ok )
And I don't have any more patience to test which of the mentioned settings made the 1FPS difference. Any of the above you think is must-have, pony? Otherwise I'm gonna stick to my original, just with EdgeAA=1
Old 11-17-07, 06:37 PM   #95
DiscipleDOC

Ok...I'm a n00b. How do I apply these changes? What file do I need to change?
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-07, 06:41 PM   #96
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC
Ok...I'm a n00b. How do I apply these changes? What file do I need to change?
You don't need to change any files, that's the beauty, you only need to create a file called system.cfg; use nodepad and copy all the commands lines in you want, then save it as "system.cfg" and it'll be saved as the correct format. Place the file in the main Crysis folder (det one that also contains Bin32, Bin64 etc.)