Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-14-07, 06:21 PM   #1
Dvahlish

Default Druid Talent specs

I have played almost every race and class there is....

Taurens druid this time round.

Im thinking feral spec.

Any thoughts supporting or against this build?
Old 11-14-07, 06:52 PM   #2
Son Goku

Default Re: Druid Talent specs

My druid is feral, in large measure because I don't really care to heal. It's an important role, and I like having them along for obvious reasons. It's just not for me though.

In the end, it can be a tough call; and there are pros/cons. On the up side, feral druids can have more health/armor then a warrior, but on the downside, many I have seen thus far don't have the defence rating, or where with all to withstand crushing blows. They do have the obvious benefit of being unable to be polymorphed, which makes them a good choice wrt tanking a mob that sheeps. The shamy on the first boss in Gruul's can be done with 2 hunters using range attacks and off tanking each other, or some methods mention that a druid tank can be used to avoid sheep. This said, we're progressing there, haven't downed that boss just yet (getting closer though).

The tough call, and I'd ask someone if they were still around, is there's one person on my horde realm, who before the last druid nerfs could solo BRD at lvl 64 or 65 as feral spec. However, when we tried using a feral druid as OT in kara, the health/armor is nice, but the crushing blows are what got him. Putting this person on Julliet in Opera also had the added disadvantage of no interupts, and we were then (didn't have rogues that week), relying on 3 mages to sort out the interuption of the heal. Put the druid in bear on Romulo, and the crushing blows brought the person from almost full health to almost no health in a single hit, the healers couldn't keep up. The person only has 405 def rating, or something like that though. The warriors closer to 500. Got a DPS actually, warrior who was on a dif night, to come with that kara group latter in week, Romulo and Juls were downed first attempt without fuss.

Could something be worked? Yeah, possibly, and gear could help also. Though from what I gather, feral druids largely just have their tier sets, arena sets, and faction rewards? If you go this way, plan on hitting Cenarion Expedition exalted, for the staff. The same person in question though, has successfully tanked some heroics though. This said, there's also cat form, and the feral druid I mentioned on my horde realm, had previously raided up through BWL, MC, AQ40. If he was still around, I'd ask him about what I'm seeing with this other feral druid in kara. There is also cat form though...
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-07, 12:33 PM   #3
Tr1cK
not coming back

I was feral before they fixed the tree WAY back in 1.something, before we ever got mangle.

Druid itemization has came a LONG ways. Go with Leatherworking to make a Heavy Clefthoof set for end game tanking. That is the base for any feral bear to start with. Socket it with defense and stamina. You need to go for a minimum 415 defense, 25% dodge, along with a ton of Hit points and Armor. Look up leather that has high armor and that is basically the tanking gear until you get T5+. I think there's a few random greens that are for pre-Kara tanking from SMV quests.

This is my druid. Note, I hardly play anymore.
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-t...n&n=Bullcephus
I still need about 12 more defense, 2k or so more hit points, and about 3k more armor to be truly effective.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-07, 01:34 PM   #4
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Feral druids are a staple off tank in any endgame raid and are more than viable main tanks for heroics and Karazhan (with the exception of Nightbane and maybe Romulo). Can't speak as to Zul'Aman yet but I've heard they work great in there because the bosses do not land crushing blows (something the designers wish to remove from the game). The build is great because the itemization and talents provide strong soloing efficiency even with a raid spec. Not to be mean but don't listen to Son Goku's account of feral druids, they are the best off tank choice for Karazhan next to fury warriors.

Of the hybrids, the Druid is probably the most functional as far as viability is concerned - in other words, each of the talent trees can be useful in the endgame. It all depends on the strength of your guild's leadership and willingness to try something other than the standard min/max group makeup (in the case of boomkins). Gear is a big determining factor as well - druids are nearly as gear dependent as warriors.

If you're just talking about leveling though, druids can level very well as long as you're not Resto specced. I've leveled a Balance druid to 31 and it was very enjoyable, very easy to solo elites as well (though that's less necessary with the recent patch). Actually I've been thinking of rolling a new druid, I may just do that later on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Goku
Putting this person on Julliet in Opera also had the added disadvantage of no interupts, and we were then (didn't have rogues that week), relying on 3 mages to sort out the interuption of the heal.
That's a problem with your group makeup then, not the druid. And frankly tanks are poor choices for interrupts because their global cooldowns are almost always up, making it very difficult to time the interrupt (especially since Julianne's heal casts very quickly). That's assuming they're using their rage properly of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Goku
Put the druid in bear on Romulo, and the crushing blows brought the person from almost full health to almost no health in a single hit, the healers couldn't keep up.
Hint: Have your priests dispel Daring so he doesn't do that.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-08, 11:13 PM   #5
Durude

Tr1ck has a pretty good spec going for him there. Right now I am my guilds OT and we have kara on farm, now my spec is almost identical to his. The thing that I would change is I would use the 3 points he has in Intensity some place else. As a feral tank mana regen while casting is useles and 4 rage with the enrage ability isnt a huge amount, and if your tanking your going to have good rage generation from being hit anyway so IMO those points could be much more usefull some place else. Now because Im the OT i switch between bear and cat alot so I put those 3 points in natural shapeshifter, now that 30% mana reduction isnt a huge thing for an OT but when im doing my dps i try to powershift so that does help with my dps when im in cat form. (Powershifting is basicly a trade off of mana to energy) if your the MT then I would advise that you go with Tr1ck or I's spec except for those 3 points, put them in Feral Aggression unless you have a warrior that has his shout , in that case i think those 3 points are pretty much freebies. Thats just my take on it, I welcome any constructive critism if you have hard facts that negate any of my ideas. Till then, Peace!!!
Durude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 07:59 AM   #6
Tr1cK
not coming back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durude
Tr1ck has a pretty good spec going for him there. Right now I am my guilds OT and we have kara on farm, now my spec is almost identical to his. The thing that I would change is I would use the 3 points he has in Intensity some place else. As a feral tank mana regen while casting is useles and 4 rage with the enrage ability isnt a huge amount, and if your tanking your going to have good rage generation from being hit anyway so IMO those points could be much more usefull some place else. Now because Im the OT i switch between bear and cat alot so I put those 3 points in natural shapeshifter, now that 30% mana reduction isnt a huge thing for an OT but when im doing my dps i try to powershift so that does help with my dps when im in cat form. (Powershifting is basicly a trade off of mana to energy) if your the MT then I would advise that you go with Tr1ck or I's spec except for those 3 points, put them in Feral Aggression unless you have a warrior that has his shout , in that case i think those 3 points are pretty much freebies. Thats just my take on it, I welcome any constructive critism if you have hard facts that negate any of my ideas. Till then, Peace!!!
I agree. I was MT most of the time.
Old 01-23-08, 08:27 AM   #7
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?

there can't be a post about druids without me chiming in... I mean I have two 70 druids and all... (ok I might need some help)

here is the armory link to my feral main:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...as&n=bovisabeo
(ignore the mismatched gear, the armory hasn't updated to my s3 chest, or what I logged out in... I think. It has the gear pieces I use when I fly around to do dailies.)

notes on feral:
-easy to level once you get some druid concepts down.
-small downtime
-A very good 5 man and heroic tank
-Best endgame OT
-Decent dps with proper gear
-Druids as a whole allow you to switch role with a respec/gear change. Few other classes can do that.
-Sucks at general pvp, but excels at flag running.

for fun, here is my lazer turkey:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...as&n=lunaignis
-"Aqua 2": Water Cooled Intel i7 960, 12 GB DDR3 PC 12800, 3x Intel X-25-M 80 GB SSD RAID 0, SATA 1.5TB WD, EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Supper Clocked Water Cooled, ASUS P6X58D, Corsair 800D w/ Koolance cooling
thor1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 09:44 AM   #8
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Had to chime in as I did end up rolling a druid and he's 59 now, and I think this is my favorite class I've ever played. Leveled from 32 to 58 as Balance, just switched back to Feral as soon as I hit Hellfire and man, I am killing stuff so much faster now with very little downtime. The plan is to switch to resto PVP at 70 and kick ass with my friends.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-08, 10:19 AM   #9
nVJoe

of course people love the druid class. Every one likes it when they play the game on easy mode.
nVJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 10:20 AM   #10
Tr1cK
not coming back

Feral = PvE easy mode, but PvP getting your ass owned mode.
Old 01-23-08, 11:47 AM   #11
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
of course people love the druid class. Every one likes it when they play the game on easy mode.
I think people who have actually played a druid all the way to 70 will know that it takes a VERY SKILLED player to play a good druid, but your average player won't be able to be able to use what the druid has to offer.
-"Aqua 2": Water Cooled Intel i7 960, 12 GB DDR3 PC 12800, 3x Intel X-25-M 80 GB SSD RAID 0, SATA 1.5TB WD, EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Supper Clocked Water Cooled, ASUS P6X58D, Corsair 800D w/ Koolance cooling
thor1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 03:28 PM   #12
Rakeesh

I am going to try this route first:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/...01000000000000

But my goal is equal balance on solo and group PVP with very little to no emphasis on PvE. Thus far PvE has been quite viable up til level 31 where I am at now. I can tank very well, and even work as a healer if I carry plenty of mana pots, but my specialty is DPS, at least for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
I don't know much about other classes as I haven't played anything else beyond 20, but from what I have played of the game, I can say that druid requires a lot more improvisation and quick reactions than most classes. Yes you can pwn with it, but if you just want to mash buttons like you can as a rogue, warrior, lock or mage in order to win, then that won't work.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote