Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-05-07, 05:22 PM   #13
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942
Default Re: Did they Fix it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
I was hearing that the recent patch was going to fix the out of dead space for the hunters? The space that is too close for ranged but too far for melee...

Did they fix it? I was actually thinking about going back to WoW with it being fixed but if not I have no interest... it's something I always hated about playing a Hunter.

play GW. you actually have to plan what you bring to the fight since you cant bring 200 skills with you.
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-07, 05:52 AM   #14
Tyr-Sog
goS-ryT

Actually tbh imo if you wanna talk about "skill" in this game the one class that takes skill is the hunter. Not so much in leveling and in AV maybe, but certainly in 1vs1 situations(more so for MM hunters), arena for sure, wsg and ab to a certain extent and certainly in manipulating your shot rotation and pet attacks in instances to keep your dps up.
Old 12-11-07, 07:38 AM   #15
Buio

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy942
play GW. you actually have to plan what you bring to the fight since you cant bring 200 skills with you.
WoW already has this with talent tree's.

And I would find it limiting not being able to use standard class skills because you somehow has to magically forget them before you join for a fight.

And those who think WoW requires no skill should try to play some competitive arena. Most often its the whiners who has no skill.
Buio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-07, 07:54 AM   #16
Tr1cK
not coming back

Guild Wars has to limit 5 skills because it doesn't have the balance mechanics that WoW does. Guild Wars is an OK game, but it certainly doesn't have WoW beat in any areas except time to level. Guild Wars has about as much endgame as Diablo 2.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-07, 08:23 AM   #17
Son Goku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyr-Sog
Actually tbh imo if you wanna talk about "skill" in this game the one class that takes skill is the hunter. Not so much in leveling and in AV maybe, but certainly in 1vs1 situations(more so for MM hunters), arena for sure, wsg and ab to a certain extent and certainly in manipulating your shot rotation and pet attacks in instances to keep your dps up.
Even some of the things I pulled off in leveling a hunter, such as soloing lvl 50 quests at lvl 43 takes a degree of skill. This really is no small task if one thinks about it. Yes on my rogue (who is now lvl 68) I would not have attemped this (though some things like starting pre-instance kara attunement at 68 I have done on rogue without party) and here I am talking about soloing stuff on both accounts, but if you think about the challenges involved:

- For the pet to tank, it's having to melee mobs about 7-8 lvls over it's level. This is no trivial task, which is why melee guys have trouble attacking over such a lvl spread. The chance to hit, without getting misses, parried, and dodged becomes extreme (for the pet no less then anything else melee).

- The consequences that has on agro, and specifically trying to DPS the mob down, while keeping agro below something that has a poor chance to hit, and misses most attacks. There are things like feign and on the BM tree intimidation to manipulate agro some, both on cooldowns of course. One really has to manipulate agro quite a bit.

Arguably more so then with a proper tank who is geared, in a better possition to be able to hit, and can generate agro fairly well in the situation

- Now throw the need to attack while mending, and not pulling healing agro (when I did it, was before the newer mend pet, so one couldn't attack and heal when I was pulling this off)... It came down to a matter of timing, though after my first hunter (I have my main and a, had always been less geared newer orc hunter) a threat meter helps immensly.

- As we'd all know, agro pull increases the lower one's lvl is against mobs. It takes some extremely careful pulling to fetch mobs about 8 lvls over some, not agro what is not intended with such a fricken huge agro radius one must constantly be aware of, and then pull the mobs far enough, not to get another wandering pat/mob come upon one.

This while also dropping agro as intended, against some chances to resist (goes up with a level disparity in soloing "red" quests). Fun in a way, for a reason different then going as lvl 70 and trashing mobs in BRD or something, but not without it's own challenges.

If nothing else, and with a 63 warrior and 68 rogue now; pulling mobs and being able to carefully extract things, does come in handy. As does knowing "oh that one will agro if I don't pull it first", or working out the positioning to pull something some others might not be sure is possible till they see one pull it off.
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-07, 09:23 AM   #18
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1cK
Guild Wars has to limit 5 skills because it doesn't have the balance mechanics that WoW does. Guild Wars is an OK game, but it certainly doesn't have WoW beat in any areas except time to level. Guild Wars has about as much endgame as Diablo 2.

5 skills? try 8. and there is a different type of gameplay becasue you have to plan for the battle and understand your role in the group instead of bring all your spells and just blast things.

gw ftw
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-07, 09:41 AM   #19
hirantha
SUC SUDO

+1 to Zoomy!

Look me up in AION and GW2
Game Tag: Famorak
hirantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-07, 10:15 AM   #20
Tr1cK
not coming back

My bad, I forgot how many. I did play about half way through Factions, but I just didn't like it. You have to know your role in WoW more than in GW due to class/talent limits. You can't simply go back to town and respec. I'm not trying to argue with you, but have you spent much time in WoW at all? At least GW is leaps and bounds better than Tabula Rasa though. Man what a pile of ****.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-07, 06:34 PM   #21
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

I've playd lots of wow. I'm currently clearing kara, gruul, and will do mags when we actually get enough darn locks. ^^ I also have the main 3 expansions of GW. GW is easily the more balanced game.

I will forgive you because factions was probably the worst of the 3, it levels you to fast (And the mob levels inbetween noobe island and the mainland are huge) and it does not hand you many of your spells via quest, instead it mearly wants you to buy them. This IMO is the worst way to introduce someone to the game. Anyways, Guildwars gives you only 8 slots, but the number of overall spells and WHAT THEY DO are all very powerful. Imagin if Everquest or WoW gave the healing class a spell that reduced all damage incoming to do no more then %10 of your health? Not only would end game encounters become cake walk, but pretty much any class that could pull agro could tank, regardless of armor. However in guildwars, its not overpowered at all.

The thing that sets guildwars above all else is that a person, a class, can defend against and probably take down any other class, either with skills available to him, or utilizing the skills of a secondary class. A monk healer can do as much damage as a wizard if he specs for it. Also thanks to weapons and armor being somewhat standardized cause theres no such thing as uber swords that drop from the resident boss mobs that only well organized guilds can kill, the difference between you and your opponent is down to your skill and the choice of spells you brought into the match. This is what makes PvP in GW so superior.

Unfortunatly I don't like guild wars as an end game, mainly because you CAN'T spend time camping for better armors or weapons. the new end game expansion introduces end game dungeons like we have seen in wow and EQ, but its still not the same I dont think (I dont have it, prolly wont until it hits bargain bin). For one, I have never been able to control monsters like I can in WoW. Its almost as if theres no such thing as agro. I mean every single time I pull some mobs with one wand hit, it will continue to persue me even after my group starts wailing on it. Also theres not really any CC, so you fight what you agro..and groups of mobs can be quite large. As a healer, this is a night mare to heal when everyone is taking damage every single fight. So as a PvE game, I like WoW much better. That said, Guildwars makes for a great laptop game to kill some time. low requirements, you can copy it to any computer without needing to reinstall it, and no monthly fees to keep track of. Just an internet connection. You can hop around the world instantly and if theres no guldies who want to play, you can make a capable group using henchmen, and heros (heros are escentualy computer controlled players that you can buy spells for, tell em which ones to equip and use, and equipem with weapons of your choice). All good.
Old 12-11-07, 06:39 PM   #22
Son Goku

Sometimes people do tell people to go back to town, such as in a guild raid where we lost a tank and one of the DPS warriors was told go protection for the run. A mage made portal, and people summoned them back at the summoning stone....

We had one person who asked what spec they're going to be, mentioning they were fine with respecing, but after joining guild they were asked to respec several times a week for different runs. And it wasn't just the 50 gold each respec, but that they have to change out the gems on their gear when respecing also. They'd like to help the guild but not go broke.

Keeping in mind the gear for different specs is also different (druids is a perfect example of this), it goes beyond the preperation of just changing the spec. Then if all gems are of a "rare quality" or better, that can be another 50 g pop per gem (give or take, depending on the AH with the higher quality gems), to swap them all out with good quality. Forget any epic gems one might encounter, one simply will not get enough of those to accomodate regular respec requests back and forth.
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-07, 02:12 PM   #23
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Son, say what? Ok, now I know many of the peeps in my guild dual spec for pvp and pve. Rarly do we make someone respec mid raid, or more then once. infact we dont force anyone to respec, although obviously we arnt going to bring you along as an arms warrior if we need a tank. Its also down to gear sets, some people have multiple sets, some don't. My priest hasnt really been targeted to go shadow and I don't really have a dps gear set (Got rid of my solo dps set when 2.3 patch made my healing set did more damage) but most of our dps warriors also have a tanking set too. And if we find we need shadow priest then my guild will help get me dps gear.

And nobody I know resets gems. If a piece of equipment's default stats is good for 2 specs, then the gems inside it are not going to make a big enough difference. If an encounter even remotely comes down to gems, your winning it by shear luck. Frankly if you are in this situation, you should use gems that are good for both specs.
Old 12-12-07, 05:07 PM   #24
nVJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Goku
Sometimes people do tell people to go back to town, such as in a guild raid where we lost a tank and one of the DPS warriors was told go protection for the run. A mage made portal, and people summoned them back at the summoning stone....

We had one person who asked what spec they're going to be, mentioning they were fine with respecing, but after joining guild they were asked to respec several times a week for different runs. And it wasn't just the 50 gold each respec, but that they have to change out the gems on their gear when respecing also. They'd like to help the guild but not go broke.

Keeping in mind the gear for different specs is also different (druids is a perfect example of this), it goes beyond the preperation of just changing the spec. Then if all gems are of a "rare quality" or better, that can be another 50 g pop per gem (give or take, depending on the AH with the higher quality gems), to swap them all out with good quality. Forget any epic gems one might encounter, one simply will not get enough of those to accomodate regular respec requests back and forth.
I would quit any guild that told me to respec for ANY reason.

You also make it sound as if they are paying for all of this respecing for them selves. If you ask someone to respec, at least the guild should pay for it for them. Either way kiss my pasty white butt if you want me to respec.
nVJoe is offline   Reply With Quote