Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Crysis

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-16-07, 07:12 PM   #1
MaXThReAT

Default Missing a few things it seems

Okay first I love Crysis and have not stopped playing since I got my hands on it. Everything is super terrific, spectacularly fun game. However there are a few things missing that I was very much looking forward to seeing and I'm a little disappointed in Crytek. I would not complain at all had the feature not been advertised. Now I really do love the game and Crytek but I want to sue the pants off those bastards, not just them but every company guilty of this type of false advertising.
First, the shore waves.

We all saw them and we thought we were getting them. No waves no water mist where they crash either. They were in videos and screenshot with no disclaimer saying this stuff may not be in the final version. To me it's like saying, come in for a juicy 1/2lb cheese burger only to get a 1/4lb when it's finally served and the waiter just says, too bad for you, we ran out of meat and time to make it but you still have to pay the same price. These things are not a big deal but I still feel like I've been pulled into a bate and switch.
Second, the breakable walls of buildings.

This is also a very well known SCREENSHOT. I have thrown dudes through every wall I could find. Max strength, two feet away, three, four and I have never ever been able to get this type of breaking in the game. Sometimes the wall doesn't even break. Bending boards shards of wood breaking where they should. The wall just falls in a very large chunk and does not break in to smaller pieces. Hitting walls, hitting broken walls does nothing. Now I love the game and every single part of it but this should really start to be considered false advertising, I think it's getting way out of hand. I'm not saying go after just Crytek there are soooo many publishers and devs guilty of this and they should all be held accountable to what they advertise. If it's as simple as putting a disclaimer on the shots or vids that's fine. As long as people aren't thinking they are getting what’s in the screenshots supposedly taken directly from the game. I knew we probably wouldn't see this type of stuff in the game, I'm not dumb but I still can't help be feel like I've been taken for a fool. What's the name of the commission/group that regulates advertising on TV?
Evga 280 GTX 621/1349/2268
SB X-Fi FPS / Z-5500 + Buttkicker!

"Don't mind the posts, I've been around longer than most know."
MaXThReAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-07, 07:33 PM   #2
agentkay

Default Re: Missing a few things it seems

I agree the wave texture should have been there, I mean the setting is inside the editor and only the texture is missing and it doesn't sound like a big deal unless of course they decided to change the waves at some point during development more towards 3D water and simply left the possiblity of that kind of waves in the editor (for flat water surfaces). I don't think it should be hard to create a texture to fit there but it should have been there in the first place.

Breaking through walls like that would have been nice but if it had worked it probably had worked only on very limited amount of walls or only in cinematic scenes. I think it will take quite a bit of time until we will reach that amount of detail and breakability on most structures. IMO the screenshot was "staged" in the editor and is done with the engine though.

Intel I7-920 aircooled by Prolimatech Megahalems @ 3.8Ghz (200x19) | Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R | OCZ Platinum 3x2GB DDR3-1600 RAM (7-7-7-24) @ 1600 | Gainward GTX 480 | WD Raptor 74GB + 150GB + Samsung 1TB | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair AX850 Gold | Coolermaster Stacker 830 silver | Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech G25 Racing Wheel | Sharp LC-46 XL1E (gaming and work)
F CliffyB.
agentkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-07, 07:43 PM   #3
mumstheword

All I really want is for the sunrays to hit the ground. That seems to be what is really missing.
mumstheword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-07, 07:56 PM   #4
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Remember that hardware isn't up to Crysis yet. Once hardware comes out that can REALLY run Crysis, they will patch the game and update it with new graphical features like they were saying. But then again they've been saying a lot of things that haven't happened.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-07, 08:09 PM   #5
MaXThReAT

I've activated the waves and it was over a 10fps loss. Just blank bars of black. e_water_waves 1 Maybe they'll be added later or maybe they were just for promotional purposes. What I find most disturbing is the fact that the CRYSISdx10flythru was shown as part of live demonstrations, supposedly running on a C2D and a single 8800GTX. When people can hardly get 30fps that flythrough level must have been so cut down and optimized and cut down again it's not even funny. They knew it wasn't going to be in the final cut. Kind of like with the HL2 demos showing the guy try to break down the blocked door then go to the window, never happened and now who cares. Still Crysis a terrific game and maybe when they figure out how to use four cores better we'll see physics and waves like those that have been left out.
Evga 280 GTX 621/1349/2268
SB X-Fi FPS / Z-5500 + Buttkicker!

"Don't mind the posts, I've been around longer than most know."
MaXThReAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-07, 08:55 PM   #6
Crow_Nest
Ace Spammer

Send a message via MSN to Crow_Nest

What about low res blurry rock textures? Im still getting those in the full game and on High texture settings.
| Hitachi 1TB SATA3 HDD | Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 | Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700W |
| Cooler Master Centurion 5 II Casing | Samsung SyncMaster XL2370 |

Laptop : Lenovo IdeaPad Y450
| Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.2 GHz | NVIDIA GeForce G110M 256MB |
| 4GB DDR3 SDRAM | Western Digital 320GB | 14.1' LED Backlit Screen |

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=73666&dateline=135279  2183
Crow_Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-07, 10:33 PM   #7
Sobbsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXThReAT

This is also a very well known SCREENSHOT. I have thrown dudes through every wall I could find. Max strength, two feet away, three, four and I have never ever been able to get this type of breaking in the game. Sometimes the wall doesn't even break. Bending boards shards of wood breaking where they should. The wall just falls in a very large chunk and does not break in to smaller pieces. Hitting walls, hitting broken walls does nothing.
Dear Billy Everyteen;

This is called a 'Bullshot'.

That will be all.

On a serious note, pretty much 99% of everything you/I/we've seen of Crysis prior to release has been nothing but touched up, perfectly positioned and choreographed scenes designed to garner the highest 'wow' factor possible and delude poor gamers into thinking that what they see is really what it's going to be like.

Sadly, like just about every other game this is done to, you just don't get everything you want. It doesn't matter what budget they had while making the game, how long they took to make it or who it was that was making it, there are always things created for the sheer sake of making said game look as incredible as possible, in an effort to get you to buy it.

It's just like GRAW / GRAW2 with those naughty screenshots Ubisoft released showing massive amounts of AA, only to find that no, there was none in the final game and what was shown was really just a massive in-engine render that had been dramatically resized and touched up to give the illusion of sharp and clean edges all around.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you actually expected Crysis to be anything like that screenshot, then the joke's on you... Because it was never going to look THAT good. Obviously the screenshot is in-engine, no doubt about that, but it has been tweaked and created to produce a very precise and 'amazing' result (and I don't mean silly config tweaks :P ). Those wave-sprays / washes and mist however, that is entirely doable and we've seen that in motion, so there's no real excuse for missing out on that when it was clearly not a performance killer to begin with.
Sobbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-07, 10:48 PM   #8
Destroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow_Nest
What about low res blurry rock textures? Im still getting those in the full game and on High texture settings.

Like this you mean?

Or like this?

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-07, 12:09 AM   #9
Crow_Nest
Ace Spammer

Send a message via MSN to Crow_Nest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy

Like this you mean?

Or like this?
The second picture. My rock textures has been like that since the demo.
| Hitachi 1TB SATA3 HDD | Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 | Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700W |
| Cooler Master Centurion 5 II Casing | Samsung SyncMaster XL2370 |

Laptop : Lenovo IdeaPad Y450
| Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.2 GHz | NVIDIA GeForce G110M 256MB |
| 4GB DDR3 SDRAM | Western Digital 320GB | 14.1' LED Backlit Screen |

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=73666&dateline=135279  2183
Crow_Nest is offline   Reply With Quote