Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-18-07, 12:12 PM   #1
Zapablast05
ZapaFAILmaster of Merwang

Send a message via AIM to Zapablast05
Default Crashing while idle

The current overclock I have has been tested and used before. It's 17 hours ORTHOS stable. So I OC'd again, now that it's not that hot in my room but whenever I'm not using my PC, it freezes. If I'm on a web browser and I don't move the mouse or type anything for a period of 2-5 minutes, my computer freezes with no BSOD. It just...stops. It never did this to me before. I ORTHO tested it again, I adjusted voltages in the BIOS and I checked it on Everest, everything seems normal. I just don't know why it's freezing when it's barely idle. It doesn't freeze when I'm typing, moving the mouse, or running games/apps. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Could it be that I "burned" it in too much?

Xbox Live: Zapablast05 click!|3DMark06: 17,001|
PSN: Zapablast05
Originally Posted by crainger: "Come meet my son Zapablast05"
Originally Posted by crainger: A truck wont get the pussy zapa has become accustomed to.
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL: In fact, I measure years in BC and AC (before Camp0rz and after Camp0rz).
I don't want to get you drunk, but, ah, that's a very fine Chardonnay you're not drinking.
Zapablast05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-07, 12:18 PM   #2
|MaguS|

Default Re: Crashing while idle

If yuo were stable at one clock and then went higher clocks and became unstable then you have reached your limit, scale back your OC. There isn't a science behind it, everything has its limits...
Old 11-18-07, 12:25 PM   #3
Zapablast05

The thing is that I've maxed out my CPU to 3.0 and it's barely stable at that. Any higher and my system goes into an infinite loop in the POST. So basically, the clock that I have now was once stable...and what you're saying is that my CPU has been clocked too far that it can't run at 2.86GHz anymore? I feel compelled to roll back to XP to see if it will crap out on me on that OS..

Originally Posted by crainger: A truck wont get the pussy zapa has become accustomed to.
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL: In fact, I measure years in BC and AC (before Camp0rz and after Camp0rz).
I don't want to get you drunk, but, ah, that's a very fine Chardonnay you're not drinking.
Old 11-18-07, 12:28 PM   #4
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapablast05
The thing is that I've maxed out my CPU to 3.0 and it's barely stable at that. Any higher and my system goes into an infinite loop in the POST. So basically, the clock that I have now was once stable...and what you're saying is that my CPU has been clocked too far that it can't run at 2.86GHz anymore?
Oh didn't know you clocked back down... it could be that damaged the CPU or Motherboard due to heat but I never came into such an issue.
Old 11-18-07, 12:31 PM   #5
Zapablast05

It can't be the heat because my case is like a freakin air conditioner, lol. I haven't seen my CPU go over 42C on full load with this OC. Maybe it could be that I'm overvolting something or not enough voltage to something, which is causing my PC to just crap out.

Old 11-18-07, 12:48 PM   #6
rflair
W OOO OOO

Did you drop your overclock, just to see if problem persits?

I once had a hard drive that caused this, it would loose signal to mobo and frezze PC. It could be many things though.

Test your RAM, could be PSU, just test everything, back to stock first.
Sharp Aquos 42" 1080p
ASUS P5K-E
8.0G OCZ RAM
Rig is ON 24/7
rflair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-07, 12:56 PM   #7
Zapablast05

I've gone to stock, and no problem. I'm going to check the cabling (lol) because I accidentally jiggled my SATA cable when I was resetting CMOS.

EDIT: All cables double checked, underclocked to 2.4GHz, and defragged, everything is running clean and smooth.

Old 11-19-07, 09:04 AM   #8
Tr1cK
not coming back

I've never heard of a 3800x2 being stable at anything above 2.6.

All I could ever get out of my two have been about 2.5.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-07, 09:53 PM   #9
Zapablast05

I've had this little sucker running at 3.0 but anything higher than that would become unstable. I had to set my HT Multi to 3x, the RAM to DDR2 400, and HT and CPU voltage up.