Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-16-03, 03:33 PM   #13
solofly

Itís not the size that matters... itís how you use it...
solofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-03, 03:34 PM   #14
zakelwe

Quote:
Originally posted by CoWBoY
lol... speculating again aren't ya?
No, everyone knows you are very small below the belt .

God I'm drunk .. I fancy a fight with Doomtrooper and Hellbinder as a tag team.

zakelwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-03, 07:26 PM   #15
Badash

that story doesn't tell me anything I didn't already know. but actually even though the FX runs hot the real reason they put that ridiculous fan on it was for the average consumer who has no airflow and a cable mess in their case. It wasn't necessary for people with good airflow, just some nice copper woulda been fine. The leadtek, chaintech cards are an example, though I don't think the chaintech will ever be produced only the non ultra is on their website.
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe, silver twinplex, alphacool mosfets
X-FI Fat
WD Raptor 74GB/Aquadrive
Coolermaster Stacker 830 3/8" tubing
PCP&C 510w SLI
2405FPW 24"
42" Sony Plasma
Boston 5.1
Badash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-03, 09:40 PM   #16
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Badash
that story doesn't tell me anything I didn't already know. but actually even though the FX runs hot the real reason they put that ridiculous fan on it was for the average consumer who has no airflow and a cable mess in their case. It wasn't necessary for people with good airflow, just some nice copper woulda been fine. The leadtek, chaintech cards are an example, though I don't think the chaintech will ever be produced only the non ultra is on their website.
or perhaps they overclocked the card from the expected 400/800 in order to compete better with the 9700pro... and in order to do so they needed to add a massive cooler to take the card up beyond spec... seeing the negative feedback with the noise a 'run on demand' feature was added to the card... and unfortunately it has a flaw..

I am pretty sure a simple driver change will probably compensate for this issue though.. it is an expensive part.. no need for it to burn on non 3d work...
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-03, 04:40 AM   #17
marcocom

you guys see this is as a bad thing...

...i see it as the wholly legitimate reason to get to return my card for an nv35 in a few months. =)

sweet.
marcocom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-03, 07:26 AM   #18
Hanners
Elite Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku
They could call their new line of sex toys the GeForce F(se)X!
I imagine it would ship with the nude Dawn demo.
Old 04-17-03, 07:34 AM   #19
scott123

I knew there was a reason why I didn't like the "Auto" fan idea Nvidia was using in the FX Ultra. What a nightmare!

I can see it now...leave room to make a sandwich and get a soda. Come back with sandwich/soda, and sense a horrible smell, see black screen. Jaw drops open, and first words are.....WTF!!!!!!!

Scott
Creative Xfi
Cooler Master CM Stacker STC-T01
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-03, 11:26 AM   #20
deckard

That's just what Nvidia needed right now I'm sure. On top of ALL the criticism for the size, heat, under-performance and volume of the FX Ultra we now find their 'workaound' for the loudness doesn't even function as advertised and could in fact destroy your card. The whole FX Ultra thing just gives me a rash in an uncomfortable place. Bring on NV35 ASAP so we can forget about this FX mess.
deckard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-03, 09:43 PM   #21
solofly

Update 2: NVIDIA gave us a call and they told us they were trying to recreate the problem and that they were partially "successful". Basically, they can encounter everything BUT screen corruption (artifacts and other beasts) Ė i.e. the fan indeed stops blah blah. They also told us that their chips are tested in an oven to make sure they work without any problems at temperatures around 100C. So, their current conclusion is that our board is a black sheep... NVIDIA couldnít get DiveVision screensaver to work "as advertised" but OpenGL Pipes and Matrix Reloaded worked fine.

http://www.pcekspert.com/articles/127-1.html
solofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-03, 05:49 AM   #22
mongoled

Can somebody with a 5800Ultra try this please. It would be good to see other peeps real life experiences with this 'issue', which if true is very serious.

Thanxs.
DFI nforce4 Ultra-D
Opteron 146/CABNE0530APMW
@ 3000mhz (300x10) 1.55v (DMM)
300mhz 2.5-4-3-7 (1:1)
2x512 GSkill LC
2x80GB Hitachi SATA-II Raid0
WaterCooled. Fans @ 5v
mongoled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-03, 06:06 AM   #23
RobHague
I like cheese.

Quote:
Originally posted by mongoled
Can somebody with a 5800Ultra try this please. It would be good to see other peeps real life experiences with this 'issue', which if true is very serious.

Thanxs.
lol, your asking people that own a £400 graphics card if they would mind trying this to make it overheat? Im sure u will get loads of takers.

Its not a serious issue though really, its just a driver bug at best. There is a 'fail safe' setting if the core gets to 140*c that it throttles back but i think this needs some serious adjusting. However maybe 140*c is the limit before serious damage occurs (not just artifacts/curruption) so...

There used to be a signature here, but now there isnt.

Last edited by RobHague; 04-18-03 at 06:09 AM.
RobHague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-03, 09:37 AM   #24
Skippy660

"Its not a serious issue though really, its just a driver bug at best. There is a 'fail safe' setting if the core gets to 140*c that it throttles back but i think this needs some serious adjusting. However maybe 140*c is the limit before serious damage occurs (not just artifacts/curruption) so..."

I seriously hope that the card gets nowhere near 140 degrees Celcius. Do you have any idea how hot that is? Water boils at 100 degrees C (212 degrees F). 140 degrees Celcius is 284 degrees Fahrenheit. I would think the card would meltdown well before this.
Skippy660 is offline   Reply With Quote