Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-18-03, 10:29 AM   #25
RobHague
I like cheese.

Yes i do know how hot 140șC is, but like i said it needs some adjusting...we think... however if they set it to 140*c i assume its for a reason and not just a mistake carried through every driver. Silicon melts at something like 1410șC so 140șc is well below that. However im not sure how the PCB would fair lol.

Quote:
They also told us that their chips are tested in an oven to make sure they work without any problems at temperatures around 100șC
(http://www.pcekspert.com/articles/127-1.html)

So it would seem they can take some heat. This is a good example of how well the cards seem to cope actually...

Quote:
We feel its really impressive that 3dMark (or any other 3D application that you start after the screensaver does its "magic") does not crash, instead just hangs and then continues on when the cooling does its job.
Quote:
When the fan kicks in, it cools down the card fast. In other words, when it works, the cooling is excellent. Too bad its so noisy (and annoying - sound is very high-pitched).
This is a simple thing to fix, all they need to do is set a fail-safe to 100șc less and the problem is solved.

There used to be a signature here, but now there isnt.

Last edited by RobHague; 04-18-03 at 10:35 AM.
RobHague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-03, 01:30 PM   #26
ricercar
fugue master

Quote:
Can somebody with a 5800Ultra try this please.
Veni, vidi, vici. PNY GeForce FX 5800 Ultra.

EDITed for spelling Thx Myrmecophagavir

Last edited by ricercar; 04-18-03 at 05:06 PM.
ricercar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-03, 02:23 PM   #27
Dazz
"TOON ARMY!"

Send a message via AIM to Dazz

They could very easily fix this with new drivers, now the drivers tells the card to spin up the fan when a 3D Application starts up right? Now as the video cards detect the temp of the video card they could also power on the fan if it reaches say a certain temp say 80C or something.

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition @ 4.25GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Graphics: ASUS ENGTX470
Memory: 4GB Kingston HyperX Blu PC12800 DDR3
Monitor: LG E2260V-PN Full HD WLED 22" & DELL 20" 2005FPW,
Power: Coolermaster Silent Pro Modular 850w PSU
Sound: Logitech Z5500 Digital.
Cooling: Thermalright Silver Arrow.
1st Storage: Kingston V100 SSDNow128GB SSD
2nd Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB
Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-03, 04:00 PM   #28
RobHague
I like cheese.

Exactley, but the FUD machine is turning and already im seeing headlines like "FXFlow Flaw" *shakes head*.

Old 04-18-03, 04:51 PM   #29
Myrmecophagavir

Quote:
Originally posted by ricercar
Vini, vidi, vici.
That's veni
Myrmecophagavir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-03, 04:57 PM   #30
ricercar
fugue master

My former Freshman Composition students would love to have seen my mistake. I must now slay myself with a latin dictionary. Goodbye cruel world.

To be topical, I noticed that the FX Flow wasn't perfectly logical. Sometimes it was on for 2D apps, and infrequently it was off for 3D apps. When it was off for 3D, it was when shutting down a 3D app with another 3D app in the background, or while that 3D aquarium screensaver was running.

I have uber-confidence in the high-temp shut down based on NDA information, so I never thought to worry. Thus, Veni vidi vici.

Last edited by ricercar; 04-18-03 at 05:07 PM.
ricercar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-03, 05:04 PM   #31
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
Originally posted by RobHague
Exactley, but the FUD machine is turning and already im seeing headlines like "FXFlow Flaw" *shakes head*.

this is more a "journalist Flaw" than any other thing,
you cannot fry the Geforcefx with a screensaver ,
with games or any aplication.
the Geforcefx ,like many other video cards ,
have a security that at the worst scenerio locks the video card and your windows crash ,if they reach temperatures beyond what its normal temp for their
operation. i think its 140 degrees Celcius ,
in the Geforcefx its limits for normal operation ..

to fry the Geforcefx you will need gasoline or any
other flamable fluid ,because i have heard the silicone
melting point is beyond 1000 degrees

i know of burned Geforce4's ,about burned Monitors
,about Burned IDE cables and even about Motherboard
literary in fire..
but that usually happens when you have electrical problems
in your house or when the user do really stupid things.
that normal people will never do.

so its not possible to fry a 100% good video card
by using 3d or 2d software or games.
However it is possible to see DUmb journalists
claiming "how to fry a geforcefx" , using as proof their
WOrking GeforceFx.
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-03, 08:45 PM   #32
Rogozhin

From the ariticle it seemed like the flow didn't check temps but checked whether the application was 2d or 3d, in that case they will have to rma the cards and install a sensor in the core itself, or just use an external. Either way it's a major pain in the azz IF more than a few cards melt their poor little solder contacts.

I guess joesixpack is gonna have to use water (on the computer itself ), since hardcore users only comprise %5 of the graphics card market, but i suppose that the number of fx is less than %5 so what the hell, who cares. I guess that is why nvidia never released any hardcore 3d screensavers (I always wondered).

Have to use the dagger sometimes

rogo
Rogozhin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-03, 07:52 AM   #33
RobHague
I like cheese.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rogozhin
From the ariticle it seemed like the flow didn't check temps but checked whether the application was 2d or 3d, in that case they will have to rma the cards and install a sensor in the core itself, or just use an external. Either way it's a major pain in the azz IF more than a few cards melt their poor little solder contacts.
What are you talking about? FlowFX isnt controlled through the hardware - its activated by the drivers. The only thing that is on/in/near the core is the temp sensor and the drivers seem to just activate flowfx (i assume via voltage adjustment) whenever a D3D or OGL application is run. The card has a 'slowdown threshold' in which it down clocks if it gets to a certain temperature - at the moment that is set to 140*c and they could easily change that to whatever they want (or allow it user adjustable). Problem could be solved very easily. No big deal unless you like wasting your time watching fancy 3d screensavers all day.

Quote:

I guess joesixpack is gonna have to use water (on the computer itself ), since hardcore users only comprise %5 of the graphics card market, but i suppose that the number of fx is less than %5 so what the hell, who cares. I guess that is why nvidia never released any hardcore 3d screensavers (I always wondered).

Have to use the dagger sometimes

rogo
The FX Ultra will never need to be avilable in HUGE numbers because of the fact that the 'hard-core' enthusiast do make up such a small market %. The only thing they need to worry about is getting enough out there for people that want them to be able to get hold of one.

Old 04-19-03, 02:24 PM   #34
marcocom

Quote:
Originally posted by RobHague
What are you talking about? FlowFX isnt controlled through the hardware - its activated by the drivers. The only thing that is on/in/near the core is the temp sensor and the drivers seem to just activate flowfx (i assume via voltage adjustment) whenever a D3D or OGL application is run. The card has a 'slowdown threshold' in which it down clocks if it gets to a certain temperature - at the moment that is set to 140*c and they could easily change that to whatever they want (or allow it user adjustable). Problem could be solved very easily. No big deal unless you like wasting your time watching fancy 3d screensavers all day.
i think to change the onboard heat sensor threshold might require a BIOS upgrade and may not be accesable through the HAL on windowsxp. (why firmware upgrades require DOS bootdisks or win98)

but whats sad is how this is all futile. how you and i may own what will in the future be that 'one geforce that needed all that cooling integration' and be kind of outside the unified scope of detenators - since nvidia is chickening out of DDR2 and going back to whats safe and working for ATi.

(as 'risk and pioneering' become synonimous with disaster in the 3D card industry once again and take a ride in the backseat of company priorities for a long long time to come)

hey at least we get to all go back to those cheap 5$ coolers that ATi and nvidia had been slacking off on til nv30!! (sure its not like anyone can use the first PCI slot with an AGP card, but at least that space will be mine again someday to ...do... whatever...!!)
marcocom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-03, 02:45 PM   #35
RobHague
I like cheese.

It's possible that it needs a BIOS upgrade i guess, but i would think that the threshold slowdown is just the card flicking back to 2d mode speeds - which the driver could do simply. Also didnt the original site say that NVIDIA were going to look into doing something with the drivers anyway 'just incase' this problem is more than just a one off.

Old 04-19-03, 03:24 PM   #36
marcocom

ya its just that they make these heat sensors, in some implimentations, so low-level so that theres like no possible chance that any possible OS or software or driver crash or screwup might possibly over-ride or crash that safety-valve. so they just use the most crude and simple method to set that threshold monitor (im just assuming, like with the Intel cpu) and its often hard-soldered. like maybe even the BIOS cant change certain characteristics.

i dont know for sure, but i do know that heat-sensors can often be implimented in that fashion and be unscale-able.

i certainly hope not tho

course i dont even use 3D screensavers because of how they munch ram resources and are often not good about cleaning it up when they snap back to the desktop. the MS ones are good , but old and ugly anyway.

i still use the original matrix screensaver that supported multimonitors and is written in simple 2D DOS, takes less than 128k memory, and when it covers all my monitors and i wear sunglasses even though its dark and wear a leather trenchcoat even though its warm out...i fell like im actually a real matrix actor...with make-up, wiring, and CG that makes me look faster and even taller
marcocom is offline   Reply With Quote