Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-19-03, 04:50 PM   #37
Rogozhin

From the ariticle it seemed like the flow didn't check temps but checked whether the application was 2d or 3d

Rob, that is what this statement meant. That it used software to determine the cooling or lack thereof.

Marco

What the hell did you just write?

rogo
Rogozhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-03, 07:41 PM   #38
BladeRunner
BFG 7800 GTX SLI

Quote:
Originally posted by mongoled
Can somebody with a 5800Ultra try this please. It would be good to see other peeps real life experiences with this 'issue', which if true is very serious.

Thanxs.
The FX 5800 Ultra I have here atm does this when running the aquarium D3D screensaver.

It runs when the screensaver starts and stops a min or so later, but the screensaver is still running.

Temp keeps rising, (fast as I have no system fans), until I intervene with a large desk fan directed at the card & exit the screen saver. Judging by my findings so far 5800 Ultras get far too hot, (this is the fourth one I've tried and they all get equally hot). They definitely get too hot even in 2d at lower clocks for the fan to not run at all, but most of the heat problem is not the frontside, but on the backside, (top in a tower), that has the large copper plated alu ram sink.

I'm also pretty convinced the 140C setting is a top end limit to the display, not a temp the card could reach without damage. (like the sliders for overclocking that often show far higher clocks speeds than you can ever hope to reach or even set). Considering water boils at 100C, if I had a water-block on the card and it got to 140c the water in the block would have turned to steam long before. I can't see anyway it could or should be set for 140C as a safe limit, it is just another unfinished part of the drivers.

Those with an FX Ultra, If you right click just after where it says 140C you get a "what's this" box, now click the box and it explains what the up & down temp setting arrows do to change the alarm settings / overheat protection. Shame these arrows don't actually exist.

Last edited by BladeRunner; 04-19-03 at 07:45 PM.
BladeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-03, 03:25 AM   #39
budd_wm
Grrrrrrrrrr......

I have a friend that was getting a Geforce FX 5800 Ultra, but ever since he read this thread he decided to wait for the NV35. Let's hope nVidia can make amends...
Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz, just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.
budd_wm is offline   Reply With Quote