Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-20-07, 08:51 AM   #1
valdis

Default 169.04 and Rawhide - heads up and 2 questions...

169.04 works for me on a Dell Latitude D820 laptop (chipset is a Quadro NVS 110M) in 64-bit using the Fedora 8 xorg-x11. However, Friday's Rawhide upped the xorg API number to 3 (in RPM xorg-x11-server-Xorg.x86_64 1.4.99.1-0.10.fc9), and the nvidia driver refuses to load due to the API mismatch (setting IgnoreABI results in a very quick and ugly crash of the X server - alt-sysrq still works, network still works, but black screen and alt-pf[1-7] don't work)

Question:

What's the timeline for an NVidia driver that knows about the API change?

(No rush, I'm just going to stick an 'exclude=xorg-x11-server-*' in my Yum config till something happens)
valdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 11:55 AM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: 169.04 and Rawhide - heads up and 2 questions...

The ABI has not yet been finalized and until it has, I can't even speculate on when a driver that officially supports it can be released. In the meantime, you may be able to get away with -ignoreABI with 169.04 if you disable RenderAccel, but remember that -ignoreABI is not supported and not recommended.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 05:54 PM   #3
valdis

Default Re: 169.04 and Rawhide - heads up and 2 questions...

OK, I can live with that as an answer. After over a quarter century in this business, I'm *very* aware that writing code to spec is a whole lot like walking on water - both are a lot easier once it's frozen. It's something that will only matter to Rawhide users until Fedora 9 escapes, and that's a good 6 months away still, so no really big rush....
valdis is offline   Reply With Quote