Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-24-07, 08:57 AM   #13
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger
Default Re: My coolit eliminator experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythy
meh they suck anyway a lapped 120 ultra and a silent 120mm fan has more cooling power then one
That's what I heard too. Why was Tiki raving about them so much?
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-07, 09:17 AM   #14
mythy
Single Male

because with lower thermal cpu's the coolits can droop the temps to sub ambient Other then that there worthless when the heats turned up

---Q6600 @3.45 430FSB - P5K Deluxe---
---1066 5-4-4-12 PL6! - 257 GTX OCed---
---ASUS Xonar DX - Dell 2407 24 LCD---
mythy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-07, 10:26 AM   #15
Buckeye

I am about the same temps as Doc has. I like mine a lot, except it does take a lot of room in the case.

There is a temperature control card that comes with the unit, can't remember what it's called atm. But you can set that so your temps do not go below ambient temps. I run my at stock and have not adjusted that card at all and everything is groovy.

They are far from worthless and do a pretty darn good job of cooling your CPU even if you OC. If you are a extreme OCer then there are better solutions, but other than that they work just fine.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/cooling/438/
Old 11-24-07, 10:43 AM   #16
Buckeye

You may be right as WCing will most likely do a much better job. I plan on doing that after the first of the year. There is always something better out there. I would love to go with a VaporChill and might, but I have read not so good reviews with Quads on those.

But that's not the point.

It is a self contained unit that is very easy to mount and does a pretty darn good job at cooling. Not everyone wants to go the WC route and this is a good answer to that.
Old 11-24-07, 12:27 PM   #17
breathemetal
*BANNED*

Send a message via AIM to breathemetal

I wish i could afford a phase unit...
breathemetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-07, 12:56 PM   #18
Buckeye

That is just want I am planning on making. Christmas gifts FTW !

How does that unit hold up with a Quad ?

I am undecided on motherboard SLI setup tho. Waiting to see what Nvida comes out with, other wise it's my two BFG 8800GTX OC's and undecided on motherboard.

I thought it was you DB who had teh Stacker VaporChill setup ?
Old 11-24-07, 01:08 PM   #19
Redeemed

And the haters have entered the thread...
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-07, 02:06 PM   #20
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBeavis
Cost/benefit dude. No need for hate. If it worked then I would be all for it. The fact is there is ambient and below ambient. You can make an effective pelt system but to do so you need more than a single 120 mm fan rad to dissipate the heat. You also need a potent PSU to power the pelt which is why a serious pelt-based system will have a separate PSU for the pelt (like a Meanwell PSU). You need a beefy pelt to pull enough heat off a quad core. As I said a decent straight watercooling system will do as much or more than the CoolIt systems and will cost you the same or less and are more straighforward. You can get a custom-built phase unit for 400-500 bucks if you ask around . . .

Say what you want but refute with facts. I have pelts, I have watercooling, and I have a phase change unit. I also am part of one of the world record setting overclocking groups with tons of expertise in extreme cooling . . .so I have pretty good access to info. If the CoolIT works for you that is great. . .I think you can do better. One thing to think about is doing waterchilling. If you go below ambient you need to take measures against condensation . . .but the rewards are worth it. . .
The problem is not everybody has the money to put down on such a setup. I have an income of just over $14k a year. Can you imagine how long I have to save just to afford each new upgrade? It'd take sooooo much longer if I went with the extreme cooling options you mentioned. I can have the Eliminator delivered for *just* over $200. To get a decent WC setup I'd be spending atleast $100 more. I *have* priced them, and I *have* strongly considered them. For right now they're just out of my price range.

Furthermore, I'm seeing many people getting near the same overclocks you guys are (over 3.5GHz) stable while not breaching 30*C- how is that bad? For only $200, if I hear many more reviews from actual users like this I'll be all over the Eliminator.

And don't get me wrong, when I start bringing in more money and can afford it I'll be going with a fully custom WC setup. Right now it is just beyond my capabilities financialy.

Old 11-24-07, 02:13 PM   #21
mythy
Single Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
I'm seeing many people getting near the same overclocks you guys are (over 3.5GHz) stable while not breaching 30*C- how is that bad?

What?!?! The Eliminator Cant take a quad to 3.5GHz and maintain 30C no way in hell. Maybe maintain 50C if there room temp is around 70. My eliminator was only able to maintain 52C at 3.4GHz and that was with its fan on high and its quite noisy like that

Old 11-24-07, 02:20 PM   #22
Redeemed

Quote:
What?!?! The Eliminator Cant take a quad to 3.5GHz and maintain 30C no way in hell. Maybe maintain 50C if there room temp is around 70. My eliminator was only able to maintain 52C at 3.4GHz and that was with its fan on high and its quite noisy like that
Quote:
Originally Posted by verboten
At stock speeds, this is my fear. As long as I stick to my overclock, I should be fine. All my temp readings are from either Coretemp or Everest.

If the Eliminator can do that for the Q6600, then I see no reason why I couldn't OC my Opty to atleast 3Ghz while not breaching 40*C under load. And for my E6600 I should be able to do atleast 3.4 I'd imagine while not breaching 40*C.
Old 11-24-07, 02:54 PM   #23
mythy
Single Male

hes at idle And yes it WILL breach 40C I had a E6600 with my eliminator back when I actually used it. Once I went quad I had to stop and get a 120 ultra. Low was in the 50's but it was silent. My clock was at 3.4 Medium was in the upper 40's but keep in mind this was without a case side panle so no warm case air actually passed threw the heat exchanger!

Old 11-24-07, 03:06 PM   #24
Redeemed

Quote:
hes at idle And yes it WILL breach 40C I had a E6600 with my eliminator back when I actually used it. Once I went quad I had to stop and get a 120 ultra. Low was in the 50's but it was silent. My clock was at 3.4 Medium was in the upper 40's but keep in mind this was without a case side panle so no warm case air actually passed threw the heat exchanger!
If it can keep a Q6600 @ 3.6GHz in the 30s while "idle", it should keep my Opty within the 30s underload at 3GHz. I see no reason why it couldn't. That is my point.