Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Networking And Security

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-21-07, 12:48 PM   #1
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Cisco Suggestions

Well, I've decided that I want to focus my concentration on networking and network administration. When I graduated my local tech school two years ago, I left with my A+ and Net+, also had my CCNA book and simulator software purchased. Well, I found it last night and started reading back through it and it got me wanting to work towards a CCNA and maybe other Cisco certs.

What I want to do is setup a small CCNA lab but I have no idea where to start. I've taken a look at eBay and there are quite a few Cisco routers and switches that are pretty cheap (I don't have much cash right now, Christmas is a b*tch) but I don't wanna get something so outdated that I'll be wasting my money. Can anyone direct me on what model router and switch to buy in order to setup a small lab?
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-07, 08:21 PM   #2
evilchris

Default Re: Cisco Suggestions

12 port 2950-EN and 2x 2621's.

I will get you current code if you need it.
Old 11-21-07, 09:19 PM   #3
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
12 port 2950-EN and 2x 2621's.

I will get you current code if you need it.
Thanks for the reply. Looks like I'm going to be spending $500 just for one router and one switch according to eBay. craigslist doesn't have anything locally, except for really old models. I'm not expecting new models but I'd like to have something that will last for a little while.

What about these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cisco-2610-64D-1...QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Cisco-2610-Route...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 11-21-07, 09:53 PM   #4
six_storm

I found a brand new 24-port 2950 sealed for $250 w/free shipping so I think I might just grab that for right now. Now I just need some extra parts to add with my spare parts and make a new server.
Old 11-22-07, 02:18 AM   #5
JMischief

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
Thanks for the reply. Looks like I'm going to be spending $500 just for one router and one switch according to eBay. craigslist doesn't have anything locally, except for really old models. I'm not expecting new models but I'd like to have something that will last for a little while.

What about these?

maybe you take a look at the cbt nuggets for video training and in addition you should get a simulation software. so you don't need to buy expensive hardware.

gns - router simulation

cisco offers also a ccna simulation pack
see at amazon

or maybe you get here a freeware solution

for the ccna exam you need to know routing fundamentals (classfull, classless) and access list configuration. but the exam will change in the near future because of the new ccna courses (icnd1 + icnd2), which i don't know

cheers + good luck,
JM
JMischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-07, 10:23 AM   #6
six_storm

I found my simulation software last night but it won't let me register, probably since it's so old (it's only good for 180 days). Everywhere I've read, if you are going for your CCNA and a little bit more, you should get a cheap switch and a cheap router to work on. Then when you get done, you can pass them on.
Old 11-22-07, 06:22 PM   #7
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMischief
maybe you take a look at the cbt nuggets for video training and in addition you should get a simulation software. so you don't need to buy expensive hardware.

gns - router simulation

cisco offers also a ccna simulation pack
see at amazon

or maybe you get here a freeware solution

for the ccna exam you need to know routing fundamentals (classfull, classless) and access list configuration. but the exam will change in the near future because of the new ccna courses (icnd1 + icnd2), which i don't know

cheers + good luck,
JM
Sim software is absolute horsecrap. Use the real deal unless you want to be a know-nothing paper cert. Sim software has never and will never react and run like the real IOS.
Old 11-22-07, 06:24 PM   #8
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm

What about these?

No on 2610. One ethernet port sucks for learning. You want to have 2 FE ports.

I cannot stress this enough to you:

Cisco Press books
Actual Cisco hardware
Highest ram/flash available per model. Newest IOS code has high requirements. I'd go min 32 flash 64 ram.

With 10 years experience and a CCIE R&S certification you can trust me.

Old 11-23-07, 12:38 AM   #9
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
No on 2610. One ethernet port sucks for learning. You want to have 2 FE ports.

I cannot stress this enough to you:

Cisco Press books
Actual Cisco hardware
Highest ram/flash available per model. Newest IOS code has high requirements. I'd go min 32 flash 64 ram.

With 10 years experience and a CCIE R&S certification you can trust me.
Thanks man. I looked at some of the official Cisco books and the CCNA book was exactly like the one I already have. I really wanna get the real equipment so I'm looking into that. I found a brand new 2950 24-port switch on ebay for $250 so I'm thinking about getting that and then getting a router down the road a little bit.
Old 11-24-07, 10:41 PM   #10
six_storm

Talked to the parentals and my dad thought it was a great idea to go for my CCNA. He is going to help me purchase some Cisco equipment here in the next month. I'm thinking about going ahead and buying that brand new 24-port 2950 switch for now and keep an eye out for a good router for around $250 shipped or lower, and of course something a little new. A lot of stuff of eBay is heavily used and/or missing parts and pieces unless you wanna pay a hefty price tag.

Which cert should I go after once I get my CCNA?
Old 11-24-07, 11:19 PM   #11
evilchris

After CCNA I would proceed directly to the CCNP. Certs do not get you a job. However, the things you learn in the CCNP track are fundamental to networking theory and knowledge, not all Cisco specific. DO LOTS OF LABS. Nothing will replace experience, but the book study and hands on gained going for a CCNP is excellent. I got my CCNP in 2001 and I think it really accelerated my career in IT. Rememer, the CCNP is not a "ticket" to a great job, it is a foundation.
Old 11-24-07, 11:22 PM   #12
evilchris

BTW, do not in any way EVER look at a braindump unless you want to cheat yourself. Fail a test 10x in a row and keep studying before you read a braindump. You're doing this to LEARN, not just to PASS.