Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Crysis

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-22-07, 12:44 AM   #13
asd

Default Re: Crysis is VERY well optimized (with proof)

Failed to let top systems to play this game smoothly on HIGH or Ultra High is called "VERY bad bad optimized", we only got 8800gtx and ultra right now, if this game can't run nice on this 2 top video card, then it is a BS, bad coding indeed, but they will give out some patches for sure. ( if they have the skills to code it better lol! )
asd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-07, 12:58 AM   #14
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol

Quote:
Originally Posted by asd
Failed to let top systems to play this game smoothly on HIGH or Ultra High is called "VERY bad bad optimized", we only got 8800gtx and ultra right now, if this game can't run nice on this 2 top video card, then it is a BS, bad coding indeed, but they will give out some patches for sure. ( if they have the skills to code it better lol! )
Here's the thing. There are game developers out there that design games so that bleeding edge hardware will cringe if they run it at highest settings. Futuremark and their "3DMARK" software is a perfect example of this. Crytek is another great example. They design their programs to be futureproof. They don't want to create a product that is wasted away after 6 months on the market; they want to be selling copies of the game 2 years down the road. This is how you do it. Up until recently, FarCry was a benchmark in computer performance for new video cards because the game was so taxing. When FarCry first came out, there was not a single video card on the market that would run the game at maximum settings with a decent framerate. Fast forward to today, and we now have hardware capable of running it flawlessly. However, this is 4 years later. Far Cry has had a very long life for a game, and I give props to Crytek for making the game last as a benchmark for this long.

Crysis will be exactly the same way FarCry was. It's an incredible piece of work, and just because your 8800 GTX can't run the game flawlessly at high settings doesn't mean that the game is coded horribly. What Crytek did was "futureproof" their game. For that, they've done an extrodinary job of creating a revolutionary game.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-07, 01:27 AM   #15
asd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol
Here's the thing. There are game developers out there that design games so that bleeding edge hardware will cringe if they run it at highest settings. Futuremark and their "3DMARK" software is a perfect example of this. Crytek is another great example. They design their programs to be futureproof. They don't want to create a product that is wasted away after 6 months on the market; they want to be selling copies of the game 2 years down the road. This is how you do it. Up until recently, FarCry was a benchmark in computer performance for new video cards because the game was so taxing. When FarCry first came out, there was not a single video card on the market that would run the game at maximum settings with a decent framerate. Fast forward to today, and we now have hardware capable of running it flawlessly. However, this is 4 years later. Far Cry has had a very long life for a game, and I give props to Crytek for making the game last as a benchmark for this long.

Crysis will be exactly the same way FarCry was. It's an incredible piece of work, and just because your 8800 GTX can't run the game flawlessly at high settings doesn't mean that the game is coded horribly. What Crytek did was "futureproof" their game. For that, they've done an extrodinary job of creating a revolutionary game.
lol, are you sure? I still remember that my 6800Ultra can run farcry everything on Highest and it still smooth like butter, only the last stage could cause me lag, but I can play the entire game with good framerate, and now, there is not a single game can cause me "LAG" even the nice looking game like CoD4 ( with lots of smoke and gun firing ) and STALKER ( with the float32 video upgrade patch ), and that monster TES4blivion can't "LAG" me also, I still can't totally agree with you, since even on the HIGH setting it still not playable, maybe it is true that the HIGHEST setting is not for the current gen hardware, but my 8800gtx can't run everything on the HIGH setting? This is not acceptable lol!
asd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-07, 02:01 AM   #16
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by asd
lol, are you sure? I still remember that my 6800Ultra can run farcry everything on Highest and it still smooth like butter, only the last stage could cause me lag, but I can play the entire game with good framerate, and now, there is not a single game can cause me "LAG" even the nice looking game like CoD4 ( with lots of smoke and gun firing ) and STALKER ( with the float32 video upgrade patch ), and that monster TES4blivion can't "LAG" me also, I still can't totally agree with you, since even on the HIGH setting it still not playable, maybe it is true that the HIGHEST setting is not for the current gen hardware, but my 8800gtx can't run everything on the HIGH setting? This is not acceptable lol!
It is quite evident you have not followed the developement of Crysis very well. Yerli himself has stated quite some time ago that running Crysis at the absolute highest settings will be virtually impossible on current generation hardware. They did this intentionally... why? Because that is what *PC Gaming* is all about.

You cited FarCry and your 6800 Ultra- you fail to realise one flaw about that analogy:

The top cards at the time of FarCry's release were the Radeon 9800XT and GeForceFX 5950U. NEITHER of those cards could run FarCry at high resolutions, with high AA and AF, and all in-game options maxed. Only the *next generation cards*- meaning the GF 6800s and Radeon x800s could. And even then, the 6800Ultra *could not* run FarCry with the sparse "beta" 1.4 patch that enables HDR- the game tanked. I know this cause my 6800GT @ just beyond Ultra clocks would tank. My setup at that time was an A64 3700, 1GB DDR400- more than sufficient for FarCry. Maybe dual 6800Ultras would have a chance, but not a single one.

My point: your 6800Ultra was considered "next-generation" at the time of FarCry's release- so to compare it to Crysis which is targeted at "next-generation" products while complaining about its performance on current-gen products is rather ignorant, no offense.

Do some research on the developement of Crysis and you'll see that you're grossly over-estimating the power of the 8800s. Crysis is coded nearly as efficiently as it can be when referring to it highest visual settings- no computer has the horsepower to handle that is the issue. This *is* how PC-Gaming *should* be. If you don't like it, stick to consoles.

Furthermore, I question your validity in regards to your knowledge about custom-building PCs. To this day no computer can run Oblivion at high resolutions, with high AA, and all in-game options maxed and never dip to lower FPSs. This very thing was discussed for near 50 pages in another thread here not too long ago. Yes, even the highest and most powerful of rigs are still brought to their knees by Oblivion at literaly the highest settings possible for that game. And it isn't all due to bad coding, a lot of it is that the computing power just is not there yet. Again, this is a good thing- it is what drives innovation in the PC market. If you really don't like it and can't stand it- then stick to console. And that's not intended as an insult, that is an honest suggestion as my attempt to guide you towards a hobby that will cause you the least frustration and lack of enjoyment.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-07, 02:04 AM   #17
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asd
First, Far Cry was released before the 6800 Ultra. It was released under the Radeon 9800's and the Geforce 5900's. Under those cards, the game COULD NOT run acceptably at highest settings. There was just no way it was possible. When the 6800's hit the market, everything changed because the 6800's were supposedly twice as fast as any card before it. That would be more than enough to blow through Far Cry like it was nothing. The FX 5900 choked on the game. I remember that my FX 5900 128mb card had so much glitching that it was nearly unplayable. I had to switch back down to my Ti 4200 in order to get the game to run well and look good.

On the same note, if Crysis is causing you "LAG" then you need examine the drivers and installed software on your system as well as your settings. My current setup is not causing any sort of lag. However, the frame rate does tend to tank in high activity areas. That's how the game was designed: to tank on heaviest of hardware.

My 8800 GTX can run EVERYTHING on the High setting. I've tweaked the CVars too, and it's still completely playable... No lag. The framerate drops into the mid teens sometimes, but even then, the game is totally responsive. There is no sort of control lag whatsoever. We'll have to wait a while before the game is playable at maxed out settings at a completely acceptable FPS.

MadPistol's Rig

XFX Radeon HD 5870
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech G15 keyboard
Antec Nine Hundred case
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Old 11-22-07, 02:08 AM   #18
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol
First, Far Cry was released before the 6800 Ultra. It was released under the 9700 Pro and the Geforce 5900's. Under those cards, the game COULD NOT run acceptably at highest settings. There was just no way it was possible. When the 6800's hit the market, everything changed because the 6800's were supposedly twice as fast as any card before it. That would be more than enough to blow through Far Cry like it was nothing. The FX 5900 choked on the game. I remember that my FX 5900 128mb card had so much glitching that it was nearly unplayable. I had to switch back down to my Ti 4200 in order to get the game to run well and look good.

On the same note, if Crysis is causing you "LAG" then you need examine the drivers and installed software on your system. My current setup on my top end rig is not causing any sort of lag. The only way I get any hint of lag is if I push the settings to "Uber high" with the Cvar tweaks. Bear in mind that I run this game on XP, not Vista. There is a way to force DX9 under vista as well though. Vista is not as good for gaming as XP is currently, but that should change soon, especially with the next generation of cards due on the market.

My 8800 GTX can run EVERYTHING on the High setting. I've tweaked the CVars too, and it's still completely playable... No lag. The framerate drops into the mid teens sometimes, but even then, the game is totally responsive. There is no sort of control lag whatsoever.
Beat you to it.

And, FYI, the vast majority of games play as well under Vista as they do XP. Crysis seems to be the main exception to that. Just thought I'd let you know.
Old 11-22-07, 02:10 AM   #19
conroejoe
*BANNED*

umm since when was 23 FPS even considered playable? WTF is the matter with you guys?!!?!
conroejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-07, 02:12 AM   #20
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
It is quite evident you have not followed the developement of Crysis very well. Yerli himself has stated quite some time ago that running Crysis at the absolute highest settings will be virtually impossible on current generation hardware. They did this intentionally... why? Because that is what *PC Gaming* is all about.

You cited FarCry and your 6800 Ultra- you fail to realise one flaw about that analogy:

The top cards at the time of FarCry's release were the Radeon 9800XT and GeForceFX 5950U. NEITHER of those cards could run FarCry at high resolutions, with high AA and AF, and all in-game options maxed. Only the *next generation cards*- meaning the GF 6800s and Radeon x800s could. And even then, the 6800Ultra *could not* run FarCry with the sparse "beta" 1.4 patch that enables HDR- the game tanked. I know this cause my 6800GT @ just beyond Ultra clocks. My setup at that time was an A64 3700, 1GB DDR400- more than sufficient for FarCry. Maybe dual 6800Ultras would have a chance, but not a single one.

My point: your 6800Ultra was considered "next-generation" at the time of FarCry's release- so to compare it to Crysis which is targeted at "next-generation" products while complaining about its performance on current-gen products is rather ignorant, no offense.

Do some research on the developement of Crysis and you'll see that you're grossly over-estimating the power of the 8800s. Crysis is coded nearly as efficiently as it can be when referring to it highest visual settings- no computer has the horsepower to handle that is the issue. This *is* how PC-Gaming *should* be. If you don't like it, stick to consoles.

Furthermore, I question your validity in regards to your knowledge about custom-building PCs. To this day no computer can run Oblivion at high resolutions, with high AA, and all in-game options maxed and never dip to lower FPSs. This very thing was discussed for near 50 pages in another thread here not too long ago. Yes, even the highest and most powerful of rigs are still brought to their knees by Oblivion at literaly the highest settings possible for that game. And it is all due to bad coding, a lot of it is that the computing power just is not there yet. Again, this is a good thing- it is what drive innovation in the PC market. If you really don't like it and can't stand it- then stick to console. And that's not intended as an insult, that is an honest suggestion as my attempt to guide you towards a hobby that will cause you the least frustration and lack of enjoyment.
Very well said.

MadPistol's Rig

XFX Radeon HD 5870
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech G15 keyboard
Antec Nine Hundred case
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP

Old 11-22-07, 02:14 AM   #21
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by conroejoe
umm since when was 23 FPS even considered playable? WTF is the matter with you guys?!!?!
Crysis shows no signs of "control lag" until you get under 10 fps. As long as the game is completely controllable in real time, the game is playable. Crysis is one of the very few games that I know of that doesn't require 30 fps to "run well".

MadPistol's Rig

XFX Radeon HD 5870
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech G15 keyboard
Antec Nine Hundred case
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Old 11-22-07, 02:19 AM   #22
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Quote:
Beat you to it.

And, FYI, the vast majority of games play as well under Vista as they do XP. Crysis seems to be the main exception to that. Just thought I'd let you know.
Thanks for the heads up. I fixed a few things in my "history" post. Apparently, I got some of my facts mixed up.

MadPistol's Rig

XFX Radeon HD 5870
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech G15 keyboard
Antec Nine Hundred case
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Old 11-22-07, 02:30 AM   #23
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by conroejoe
Since the intro of properly utilised motion blur. It can quite successfully mask what would normally be considered unplayable framerates.
Old 11-22-07, 02:42 AM   #24
SH0DAN
SGIRealityEngine

Send a message via ICQ to SH0DAN
Thumbs up Re: Crysis is VERY well optimized (with proof)

Quote:

The top cards at the time of FarCry's release were the Radeon 9800XT and GeForceFX 5950U. NEITHER of those cards could run FarCry at high resolutions, with high AA and AF, and all in-game options maxed. Only the *next generation cards*- meaning the GF 6800s and Radeon x800s could. And even then, the 6800Ultra *could not* run FarCry with the sparse "beta" 1.4 patch that enables HDR- the game tanked. I know this cause my 6800GT @ just beyond Ultra clocks would tank. My setup at that time was an A64 3700, 1GB DDR400- more than sufficient for FarCry. Maybe dual 6800Ultras would have a chance, but not a single one.

Furthermore, I question your validity in regards to your knowledge about custom-building PCs. To this day no computer can run Oblivion at high resolutions, with high AA, and all in-game options maxed and never dip to lower FPSs. This very thing was discussed for near 50 pages in another thread here not too long ago. Yes, even the highest and most powerful of rigs are still brought to their knees by Oblivion at literaly the highest settings possible for that game. And it isn't all due to bad coding, a lot of it is that the computing power just is not there yet. Again, this is a good thing- it is what drives innovation in the PC market. If you really don't like it and can't stand it- then stick to console. And that's not intended as an insult, that is an honest suggestion as my attempt to guide you towards a hobby that will cause you the least frustration and lack of enjoyment.

Your right about that,he said more then a few times that "Crysis will bring even the 8800GTX to its knees" Why this is so shocking to people is whats suprising to me.The game is very well optimized,but like other AAA titles,it will take a gen or two of hardware releases before we catch up to it.
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it. -Fred Bastiat-

The last official act of a corrupt government is to loot the nation.

When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.
P. J. O'Rourke

------------------
Q6600 g0 @3.20Ghz 1.30 VOLTS||Tr ULTIMA 90I + ||2X1Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC6400 4-3-3-7@ 400 x 8
BFG 260gtx MAXCORE55 @ 690/1420/2377 ||Asus P5K-Deluxe WiFi AP||Corsair HX520||Nec 2470WNX-BK + LG 1751S|
Lian Li PC-65B + II||Western Digital 150GB RaptorX|| Samsung 750Gb HD x3|| WD 2500KS ||Samsung 183s||SB Audigy 2 ZS||Audio Technica ESW9's +red RSA Predator|G11+MX518
SH0DAN is offline   Reply With Quote