Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Crysis

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-22-07, 10:50 AM   #37
Logical

Default Re: Crysis is VERY well optimized (with proof)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeeEighty
While I will agree that Crysis is smoother than any other game I have played in the 30fps range I have to say that some of you guys are getting a bit ridiculous with this ****. 19FPS? please.
Exactly.....
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-07, 10:56 AM   #38
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol

Quote:
While I will agree that Crysis is smoother than any other game I have played in the 30fps range I have to say that some of you guys are getting a bit ridiculous with this ****. 19FPS? please.
On a system that is the minimum requirement??? On top of that, the processor is a 2.8Ghz P4 Northwood. If I remember correctly, this processor is a horror story on any games that use the Source Engine. How is it that a game that comes out nearly 3 years later seems to run BETTER than Counter Strike: Source? In fact, this game beats CS:Source in performance no matter what the detail settings are in CS:Source... Explain that one.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-07, 10:56 AM   #39
mumstheword

Quote:
Yeah, after that insightful post the game doesn't look so smooth now at 19fps. Thanks, really. My whole perception has just been shattered with those rolling eyes. But I stand by my own experience. Smooth @ 19fps playing through the game twice.
mumstheword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-07, 11:00 AM   #40
evox
:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrixteH
No i posted with my eyes shut
ooh, atleast you admit it!
evox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-07, 11:14 AM   #41
asd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol
Are you running on a Pentium D? My E6600 runs Crysis very smoothly on high settings. Heck, I've played through 90% of the game with the "Ultra high" settings enabled, and I haven't had one complaint about it yet. The game is drop dead gorgeous. Even though I'm getting between 10-20 fps, the game has been totally playable from start to finish. Seriously, if your system is tanking on the high setting with an 8800 GTX, something is wrong.

Like others have said, I do consider 23 fps playable because Crysis is so freakin smooth. I've never played a new game that runs this smoothly from the beginning of its existance. It's so aparent that the programmers at Crytek have put so many man hours into making this game a classic, and they've done it. I wish Call of Duty ran this smoothly @ 45-60fps, but it doesn't. It honestly feels like I'm playing this game on a highend console because the game runs so smoothly. It DOESN'T feel like I'm playing this game on a Media Center PC with 250GB of other programs installed, all of them competing for processing power. For that reason, I absolutely adore this game.
Nope, I'm using the same CPU as yours, and OCed it to 3.2Ghz, but still can't run the game smoothly under HIGH settings, don't tell me it is because that vista and DX10 sucks, I don't want to waste a lot of time to format my PC again lol, moreover, I installed 4GB of ram because Vista.
asd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-07, 11:17 AM   #42
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asd
Nope, I'm using the same CPU as yours, and OCed it to 3.2Ghz, but still can't run the game smoothly under HIGH settings, don't tell me it is because that vista and DX10 sucks, I don't want to waste a lot of time to format my PC again lol, moreover, I installed 4GB of ram because Vista.
Well, I don't have access to my main gamer until Saturday... It's so ironic because I have it sitting right here beside me. The problem is that I forgot to bring a DVI-VGA converter for the video card, so I'm SOL.

If I can get a FRAPS benchmark of Crysis @ all high settings, 1680x1050, maybe I'll be able to prove that the game IS playable at high settings. If I throw in ini tweaks, though, it's a preferrence issue... what is considered a playable framerate for this game? For most games, it's 30+ fps, but Crysis is a rare exception to that rule.

MadPistol's Rig

XFX Radeon HD 5870
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech G15 keyboard
Antec Nine Hundred case
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Old 11-22-07, 12:03 PM   #43
gls5000

Considering the demands the game makes on my system, I'm actually amazed at how stable the game is. I don't think it has crashed once. When it occasionally freezes, it only takes a few seconds for it to unfreeze and continue as normal, unlike Oblivion which crashes nearly every time I play (despite very good frame rates).

But stability aside, and even if it is already well optimised, I think people know there is room for more optimisation (partly because Crytek and Nvidia have themselves made comments to that effect), particularly for those of us who aren't seeing any benefit from our SLi set-up.

I'm not particularly interested in playing the game at low settings. At low, to some extent, medium, it is not the Crysis that was marketed to us. At low settings it looks worse than far cry and definitely worse than modern competitors, at medium it looks somewhat better than far cry but not groundbreakingly (bear in mind that Far Cry is 3.5 years old now). And unless you can use a resolution above 1280 x 1024, the detailed scenes look horribly jaggy even with AA; and 800 x 600 is out of the question.

So yes, if Crytek and Nvidia think there's room for further optimisation then I look forward to it.
ASUSTek A8N-SLI DELUXE Motherboard
2 x NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX 256MB in SLi
Windows XP
gls5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-07, 12:21 PM   #44
GeeeEighty
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol
On a system that is the minimum requirement???

Thats not what I was talking about. You missed the point entirely. The point is that 19FPS in a first person shooter is not smooth by any means.

Yes Crysis plays smoother than most at lower FPS but that limit is around 30fps. 19fps smooth...ROTFLMAO.

Seems like some of you are not willing to sacrifice a single bit of image quality for fps improvement. lol pretty soon the standered for crysis will be 10-15fps.
GeeeEighty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-07, 01:02 PM   #45
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Quote:
Thats not what I was talking about. You missed the point entirely. The point is that 19FPS in a first person shooter is not smooth by any means.

Yes Crysis plays smoother than most at lower FPS but that limit is around 30fps. 19fps smooth...ROTFLMAO.

Seems like some of you are not willing to sacrifice a single bit of image quality for fps improvement. lol pretty soon the standered for crysis will be 10-15fps.
I can understand where you're coming from, but Crysis is a very rare exception. I've been having a ball on the first few levels of Crysis simply because it runs well on a P4 system. I don't expect it to hit 30 fps constantly. That's madness for a low spec system on such a high spec game. What I DO expect is for the game to be playable and fun even at lowest settings, and indeed, Crytek has done that.

Now you tell me to play a game like TF2 or Call of Duty 4 at 15-20 fps, I'll laugh in your face. Both of those are very fast paced, multiplayer games that are reliant on a high FPS for a good gaming experience. Crysis doesn't need that. I can sneak around and blast people while cloaked like it's nothing. It's absolutely amazing how much you can do in this game. Now, if I went renegade and tried to kill everyone without using all the features of the nanosuit, I'd be fried in about 30 seconds. There's no doubt about that, but the game just seems so damn smooth even at around 20fps that I just don't see the need to get 60fps out of this game... Sure it would be nice, but it's not a requirement to have fun.

MadPistol's Rig

XFX Radeon HD 5870
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech G15 keyboard
Antec Nine Hundred case
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Old 11-22-07, 01:14 PM   #46
ASUSEN7900GTX

i wanna make this clear i am not bashing Crysis just so everyone knows.

Now i read a review earlier today and the guy had a machine 2 years old and he barley could run the game where he has no problems wiht other games.

So i donīt know if Crysis is well or not well optimized i know i can run it with almost everything on very high (XP tweak) and a tweak CFG file.

i run it at 17-20+FPs and as long as it stays over 17fps it is somewhat smooth and this is with AA enabled and it is IMO playable on my rig.

So sure Crysis has some graphics never seen and physics but under all that it is merely a shooter like Far Cry COD 4 FEAR and so on

but with all in all Crysis is in a league of itīs own.
Asus P6t deluxe V2

"be to others as you want others to be against you"
some wiseass came up with it
ASUSEN7900GTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-07, 02:02 PM   #47
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by asd
lol, don't be too seriously, I'm not that kind of people that will be "frustration" or "crying" when I can't run a game smoothly, and if I like console I would have bought them long time ago, what I'm going to say is that I don't consider the "HIGH" setting as the "MAX" setting, because it is not the "Highest" one, and yes, the point is that my 8800GTX can't even run smoothly under the "HIGH" setting (in another words, not even playable), is that the game really that powerful to make my 8800gtx fall on the ground like an old man? even on the HIGH setting?

And yes I can running everything on MAX in TES4, and the game runs smoothly, it's true, but you need to set the view distance to the medium distance or lower according your system.
Hence, in TES4, you *do not* have every in-game options maxed. If you literally ran the game at the highest settings possible (2560x1600, 16xQ AA, 16xAF, GCAA, TMSAA, and 100% all in-game options at their absolute highest settings) it will tank even the fastest of today's computers.

As for your rig, something is wrong. I can play Crysis at 1280x800 (my monitors native res is 1680x1050, but if I keep to the 16:10 aspect ratio lower resolutions look fine) with 4xAA, 16xAF, and all in-game options set to "High" and it never dips below 20fps. It remains *very* playable. So something is definitely wrong with your setup...
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-07, 03:45 PM   #48
ASUSEN7900GTX

if i use fraps to make a small clip of Crysis how do i get it "youtube" ?
Asus P6t deluxe V2

"be to others as you want others to be against you"
some wiseass came up with it
ASUSEN7900GTX is offline   Reply With Quote