Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-25-07, 05:51 PM   #25
GeeeEighty
*BANNED*

Default Re: Finally, 3GHz!!! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
I don't know why nor how, but for some reason my vcore got stuck at 1.425. Even at "stock" settings, it was still running at 1.425. Hence why my temps have been so high all along. Well, while tinkering with BIOS settings the other night, I tried dropping the vcore by .1 volts. It sorta stuck. In the BIOS it is set to 1.325, but CPU-z reports 1.36v. I might try dropping it a bit lower. Haven't done any realy stress testing other than Oblivion last night. Which was *really* wierd. I haven't played the game in a while, and since the last time I had played it I have updated my drivers and dl'd some new hotfixes for Vista... but at 1680x1050, 4xAA, 16xAF, GCAA, TMSAA, and all in-game options maxed I was never getting below 45fps- ANYWHERE!!! Now not too long ago we had a huge thread comparing the 8800s to the 2900 and Oblivion was the main game used... in that thread even GTX owners didn't fare so well... so I'm thinking that the newer drivers and hotfixes might have done something to aide in my incredible FPS boost- also I might not have been in really stressful areas, though before while outdoors my FPS would drop to the 30s or a bit lower sometimes. And now, same settings, never below 45fps I bull**** you not.

Yeah, I'm happy.

Though my rig is doing something wierd... in HL2 I got to the part where you're in the buggy and that gunship is chasing you. You jump that fallen bridge and get to the part where the road is cluttered with old cars and you have to get out of the buggy and shoot the gunship down with your rocket launcher. Before my computer literally blew through that section at 60fps+. Now for some reason, as soon as I got out of my buggy my fps tanked and I'm getting 1-3fps at best. I've even tried disabling all unnecessary services, lowering the graphics settings, restarting- everything *but* undoing my OC. I find it hard to believe that my OC has anything to do with this as Oblivion is playing better than it ever has, and that puts far more stress on my rig than HL2 ever could. Anybody have any ideas?
Ok first thing you should know. Playing a game such as Oblivion is not gonna cut it for stress testing as it will not be pushing the cores nearly hard enough.

I cannot stress the importance to you enough about why you should run P95 with SMALL FFT's for at least 6hrs no errors.

Next thing is I believe you about Oblivion, I also have Vista 64 with all the patches, hotfixes and Nvidias latest betas. The game absolutely flys on my computer now as compared to how it was before.

Next in regards to Half Life 2 I have no issues with my rig overclocked when playing that game, its actually a whole lot faster. If your having trouble with that game it could be the sign of an unstable overclock or a corrupted OS because you have not stressed tested your Overclock with P95 to check for stability.
GeeeEighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-07, 06:03 PM   #26
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeeEighty
Ok first thing you should know. Playing a game such as Oblivion is not gonna cut it for stress testing as it will not be pushing the cores nearly hard enough.

I cannot stress the importance to you enough about why you should run P95 with SMALL FFT's for at least 6hrs no errors.

Next thing is I believe you about Oblivion, I also have Vista 64 with all the patches, hotfixes and Nvidias latest betas. The game absolutely flys on my computer now as compared to how it was before.

Next in regards to Half Life 2 I have no issues with my rig overclocked when playing that game, its actually a whole lot faster. If your having trouble with that game it could be the sign of an unstable overclock or a corrupted OS because you have not stressed tested your Overclock with P95 to check for stability.
Oh, I do know what you're talking about. I should stress test my system- no doubt. I've never ran P95 before though... where can I download it and how do I run it- within Windows or do I have to create a bootdisk?

Edit:

I'm dl'ing P95 now. I also checked what the vcore for the Opty185 is supposed to be- 1.30 to 1.35. So no wonder why my temps were sooo high before. Now it sits between 40-45*C and under load never peaks above 55*C. YAY!

I'm sure that when the two new fans arrive this week that'll drop the temps even more. My goal is to hit 3GHz stable. I think I can manage that.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-07, 06:24 PM   #27
GeeeEighty
*BANNED*

Quote:
Oh, I do know what you're talking about. I should stress test my system- no doubt. I've never ran P95 before though... where can I download it and how do I run it- within Windows or do I have to create a bootdisk?

Edit:

I'm dl'ing P95 now. I also checked what the vcore for the Opty185 is supposed to be- 1.30 to 1.35. So no wonder why my temps were sooo high before. Now it sits between 40-45*C and under load never peaks above 55*C. YAY!

I'm sure that when the two new fans arrive this week that'll drop the temps even more. My goal is to hit 3GHz stable. I think I can manage that.

Make sure you downloaded this version of P95-

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Prime95_d4363.html

Otherwise you will only be stressing one core instead of two.

Also, make sure to run P95 with the SMALL FFT's Program, you will see it. This stresses the CPU the best and is recommended when testing CPU for max stability.

Next, Keep an eye on the temps when you do this!

With adequate case airflow there is no reason why you cant hit 3ghz stable with good temps. My friends Opty 175 did it with ease.
Old 11-25-07, 06:27 PM   #28
Redeemed

Quote:
Make sure you downloaded this version of P95-

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Prime95_d4363.html

Otherwise you will only be stressing one core instead of two.

Also, make sure to run P95 with the SMALL FFT's Program, you will see it. This stresses the CPU the best and is recommended when testing CPU for max stability.

Next, Keep an eye on the temps when you do this!

With adequate case airflow there is no reason why you cant hit 3ghz stable with good temps. My friends Opty 175 did it with ease.
Well, that is the version I got. So far it is doing great. Been running for near 10 minutes now. I'll just let it run for now, I can still use my computer without it slowing down any- so long as I don't try gaming. So far, no errors though. And my temp hasn't peaked above 50*C yet. But remember- I don't have *any* exhaust fans yet. They're on their way.
Old 11-25-07, 06:58 PM   #29
Xion X2

No exhaust fan(s)? lol

Yeah, one or two of those might come in handy. Even Dells have exhaust fans.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-07, 07:19 PM   #30
GeeeEighty
*BANNED*

Quote:
Well, that is the version I got. So far it is doing great. Been running for near 10 minutes now. I'll just let it run for now, I can still use my computer without it slowing down any- so long as I don't try gaming. So far, no errors though. And my temp hasn't peaked above 50*C yet. But remember- I don't have *any* exhaust fans yet. They're on their way.

You are running the SMALL FFT's right?
Old 11-25-07, 07:20 PM   #31
GeeeEighty
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
No exhaust fan(s)? lol

LOL true that.

Case airflow is a must.
Old 11-25-07, 07:25 PM   #32
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
No exhaust fan(s)? lol

Xion, do you realise the case I have? The front intake is a whopping 140mm, and the side intake is a massive 250mm. I still got good airflow buddy.

Though the new fans should be here this week. Got two of these that same night I started OC'ing this rig. I'd imagine these'll knock 5*C off under load. And for clarification- this is my current rig:

As stated in my sig, I'm doing some "surgical enhancements" to my system. I'll post pics once they're done.

Old 11-25-07, 07:28 PM   #33
GeeeEighty
*BANNED*

Quote:
Xion, do you realise the case I have? The front intake is a whopping 140mm, and the side intake is a massive 250mm. I still got good airflow buddy.

Though the new fans should be here this week. Got two of these that same night I started OC'ing this rig. I'd imagine these'll knock 5*C off under load. And for clarification- this is my current rig:

As stated in my sig, I'm doing some "surgical enhancements" to my system. I'll post pics once they're done.

Yeah but you still need a good exhaust fan to pull out all the hot air that is just circling around inside your case from those massive intake fans.

Sucking a bunch of air into a case with nothing to pull it out is not gonna be effective cooling. If anything it will make it worse.
Old 11-25-07, 07:30 PM   #34
Redeemed

Quote:
Yeah but you still need a good exhaust fan to pull out all the hot air that is just circling around inside your case from those massive intake fans.
I know, though a lot of that air should escape out the rear exhaust "ports" (not sure what else to call 'em). Though you are right, some of that hot are is just getting bounced around in here. Hence why I order those two fans. They'll probably be here in about 3 days I think.

Oh, and so far Prim95 has not found any errors, I'm even jamming some tunes using WMP11 right now- CPU usage hasn't gone about 80% yet, and temps are staying in the low 50s. I'm expecting that these two fans should make it so I don't break much above 45*C under load. Atleast, I can hope.
Old 11-25-07, 07:58 PM   #35
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:
I know, though a lot of that air should escape out the rear exhaust "ports" (not sure what else to call 'em). Though you are right, some of that hot are is just getting bounced around in here. Hence why I order those two fans. They'll probably be here in about 3 days I think.

Oh, and so far Prim95 has not found any errors, I'm even jamming some tunes using WMP11 right now- CPU usage hasn't gone about 80% yet, and temps are staying in the low 50s. I'm expecting that these two fans should make it so I don't break much above 45*C under load. Atleast, I can hope.
Prime95 isn't working right if your CPU usage isn't going above 80%. Running other apps will actually work against it too since they are far less intensive than Prime95 and will hog its CPU time.

Use Orthos to make sure you're fully testing both cores:

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/385/mirrors.php

Those are pretty good temps though. If they don't change much under 100% load you'll be in a good shape.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-07, 08:12 PM   #36
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL
Prime95 isn't working right if your CPU usage isn't going above 80%. Running other apps will actually work against it too since they are far less intensive than Prime95 and will hog its CPU time.

Use Orthos to make sure you're fully testing both cores:

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/385/mirrors.php

Those are pretty good temps though. If they don't change much under 100% load you'll be in a good shape.
Um... do I have to run that app when P95 isn't running?