Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-26-07, 03:02 PM   #49
GeeeEighty
*BANNED*

Default Re: Finally, 3GHz!!! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed

My peak temp was 58*C though... not sure I like that. Hopefully those new fans will lower that quite a bit. We'll see...

Dont worry about that temp, its actually not half bad considering your airflow and also no other program or game you play will stress your CPU nearly as hard as P95 small FFT's. So on average your temps will be much lower.
GeeeEighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-07, 11:06 PM   #50
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL
Thats pretty good man. 58C after 8 hours of Prime isn't bad at all.

More fans will probably help your temps a bit.

You're stable at 3Ghz though. Congrats.
Um, that was at 2.8GHz. If I ran P95 at 3Ghz I'd have easily breached 60*C- and I refuse to let my CPU run that hot- EVER! Once those two new fans arrive, I'll try my luck with 3Ghz. So far I must say I'm rather impressed with my Opty. This mere 200MHz seems to actually do quite a bit for my framerates. Probably cause my 8800GTS is heavily CPU limited right now. I'm sure running at 3Ghz would really help out a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeeEighty
Dont worry about that temp, its actually not half bad considering your airflow and also no other program or game you play will stress your CPU nearly as hard as P95 small FFT's. So on average your temps will be much lower.
Thanks. I know no game is going to stress my CPU like P95 does... but I do figure that if I run her at 3Ghz that's going to up my temps. So that is what has me concerned. You gotta' keep in mind- the last rig I oc'd was a s754 A64 2800 on the ASUS K8V SE Dlx. Stock it ran at 1.8Ghz. I managed to oc it to 2.2Ghz on air, with just a Thermatlake HSF (nothing to extraordinary) and it still idled in the 30s, and under load never got much hotter than the low 50s- but it only got that hot after hours of hardcore gaming.

So ideally, I want my Opty to run at 3Ghz and idle in the 30s and just barely breach 50*C while doing extreme gaming. Not sure if I'm exptecting too much or not, but that's what I'd like atleast.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-07, 11:20 PM   #51
Xion X2

Looks like you're probably safe up to about 65C.

http://www.tankguys.biz/product_info...oducts_id=1567

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankguys
Processor
Type / Form Factor AMD Opteron 185 Dual-Core - 64-bit
Processor Qty 1
Clock Speed 2.6 GHz
Processor Socket Socket 939
Core Voltage 1.30 V/1.35 V
Thermal Specification 65 C

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-07, 11:39 PM   #52
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
Looks like you're probably safe up to about 65C.

http://www.tankguys.biz/product_info...oducts_id=1567
Yeah, I realise this. I just don't want it running that hot. Heck, when you stop and think about it- 55*C is kinda' hot. I'd like to keep this CPU under 50*C as much as possible. If that means buying a better HSF, then so be it.
Old 11-27-07, 12:43 AM   #53
Xion X2

Nah, 55C isn't that hot. I quad-primed mine at 70-74C overnight to get to 3.75.

http://img483.imageshack.us/img483/1...nprime2el3.jpg

I understand your concern, though. Some like to pamper their hardware.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-07, 01:13 AM   #54
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
Nah, 55C isn't that hot. I quad-primed mine at 70-74C overnight to get to 3.75.

http://img483.imageshack.us/img483/1...nprime2el3.jpg

I understand your concern, though. Some like to pamper their hardware.
"Pamper my hardware?" That honestly made me chuckle.

Yeah, I like to keep my hardware as cool as possible- it will prolong the component's life. The hotter it runs, the more stress it is put under physically, meaning the shorter its life will be (theoreticly).

I know it'd be fine even if it were running at 60*C. But something else that concerns me is that I know the ambient temp in my case is going to rise some once I put my second GTS back in here. As such, if I can get it to just barely reach 50*C under load, I know I wont break 60*C ever with both GTS in. That's my logic anyways. Yet to actually put it to the test.
Old 11-27-07, 02:19 AM   #55
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"

Send a message via MSN to gulizard Send a message via Skype™ to gulizard

Quote:
"Pamper my hardware?" That honestly made me chuckle.

Yeah, I like to keep my hardware as cool as possible- it will prolong the component's life. The hotter it runs, the more stress it is put under physically, meaning the shorter its life will be (theoreticly).

I know it'd be fine even if it were running at 60*C. But something else that concerns me is that I know the ambient temp in my case is going to rise some once I put my second GTS back in here. As such, if I can get it to just barely reach 50*C under load, I know I wont break 60*C ever with both GTS in. That's my logic anyways. Yet to actually put it to the test.
You know I've never heard of a CPU actually going out. I mean I've heard of them frying at least the older ones back in the day at high temps, or because someone displaced the HSF, and they simply burnt up. I've heard of PSU killing motherboards, and CPU's... I can't say I've ever heard of a CPU simply just quitting - because of over use. To my knowledge its not a 'wear' item you being American you should know what we classify 'wear items' example would be a timing belt.

I use to hang about the AMD forums, a lot back when they actually did not ban users who had Intel listed in their sig, or posting their benchmarks in the common "top 50 3dmark" threads, and I never heard of anyones CPU physically failing because of misuse...

I ain't saying it can't happen but I doubt its likely if its stable, I doubt added heat will kill it, so as long as it isn't hitting 65c all the time. I think that those 50's are a bit high. As I own an Opty in the other room its the same one you've got, and its got the TT Venus 5500RPM fan on it... It idles around 33-35c... It can be load but I got it setup so I can control the dial. I am not O/Cing it, as its for my two daughters to play their games, and surf on, but I suppose I could give it a try for you and let you know if the temps rise up any...
Old 11-27-07, 03:38 AM   #56
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulizard
You know I've never heard of a CPU actually going out. I mean I've heard of them frying at least the older ones back in the day at high temps, or because someone displaced the HSF, and they simply burnt up. I've heard of PSU killing motherboards, and CPU's... I can't say I've ever heard of a CPU simply just quitting - because of over use. To my knowledge its not a 'wear' item you being American you should know what we classify 'wear items' example would be a timing belt.

I use to hang about the AMD forums, a lot back when they actually did not ban users who had Intel listed in their sig, or posting their benchmarks in the common "top 50 3dmark" threads, and I never heard of anyones CPU physically failing because of misuse...

I ain't saying it can't happen but I doubt its likely if its stable, I doubt added heat will kill it, so as long as it isn't hitting 65c all the time. I think that those 50's are a bit high. As I own an Opty in the other room its the same one you've got, and its got the TT Venus 5500RPM fan on it... It idles around 33-35c... It can be load but I got it setup so I can control the dial. I am not O/Cing it, as its for my two daughters to play their games, and surf on, but I suppose I could give it a try for you and let you know if the temps rise up any...
Thanks.

Old 11-27-07, 03:43 AM   #57
GeeeEighty
*BANNED*

Quote:
So ideally, I want my Opty to run at 3Ghz and idle in the 30s and just barely breach 50*C while doing extreme gaming. Not sure if I'm exptecting too much or not, but that's what I'd like atleast.

Your not expecting to much and as long as your CPU Heatsink in properly mounted and you have good airflow 3ghz is well within reach.

My friends opty 175 is at 3ghz on the stock cooler and he idles at 32c and gaming only gets him into the high 40's.
GeeeEighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-07, 11:56 AM   #58
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"

Send a message via MSN to gulizard Send a message via Skype™ to gulizard

Quote:
Thanks.
I did get mine to 3GHz voltage was increased a bit - again CPU-Z doesn't show accurately. Anyway the CPU idles at about 38c-40c. When I stressed it, it climbed up to 47c. Keep in mind this is with minimal air flow. The case is an older one. It has one 80mm fan in the back, and a 80mm 5500 RPM fan on top the CPU. I recommend the Venus over your Big Typhoon. Though I do remember this guy from the AMD forums called trickson who practically worshiped his Big Typhoon, for his AMD processor. Keep in mind that the other CPU just has a 7900GT in it, and it is an MSI nforce4 board (not the SLI Version).

So my guess is you are running a bit hot. I'd take that HSF off, and reapply it with some AS5. What are your temps like at stock?
Old 11-27-07, 12:06 PM   #59
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulizard
I did get mine to 3GHz voltage was increased a bit - again CPU-Z doesn't show accurately. Anyway the CPU idles at about 38c-40c. When I stressed it, it climbed up to 47c. Keep in mind this is with minimal air flow. The case is an older one. It has one 80mm fan in the back, and a 80mm 5500 RPM fan on top the CPU. I recommend the Venus over your Big Typhoon. Though I do remember this guy from the AMD forums called trickson who practically worshiped his Big Typhoon, for his AMD processor. Keep in mind that the other CPU just has a 7900GT in it, and it is an MSI nforce4 board (not the SLI Version).

So my guess is you are running a bit hot. I'd take that HSF off, and reapply it with some AS5. What are your temps like at stock?
I'm not sure what they're like stock.

Before I oc'd, somehow the voltage was stuck at 1.425 so it ran hot even at 2.6GHz. I've since lowered it to 1.325 and I now seldom go past 50*C- but I do have an 8800GTS in here which more than likely has a big part to play in my proc's temps.
Old 11-28-07, 12:07 AM   #60
Redeemed

Okay, the new fans are installed and my temps are roughly the same.

Gonna' get an Eliminator and see if that helps. Can't be worse than this Big Tyhpoon that's for sure.