Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-04-03, 03:42 PM   #13
nbgr

Thumbs up

Hi everybody!

Thanks to "aprodigy" in thread 11230 "Solution for lockups when switching to console or restarting the X-Server" 05-04-2003 02:19 PM in this forum, I have a workaround (or actually two) that works for me, although I am not quite comfortabel with them.

My problem turned out to be related to the fact that I have a TV-out port on my NVIDIA card. And if I have a TV (or a video recorder as in my case since I use this computer for video editing under MS-Windows) plugged into this connector I get the hangup when the system shall switch back from the nvidia driver to the native graphics driver.

Note that this happens also if I do not try to use the TV-out port. It is sufficient that I have the TV-out port physically connected.

If I take out the cable from the TV-out port before booting the computer the TV-out port is not activated and I get no problems.

Also if I install and run the "nvtv"-Software as "aprodigy" suggests (and click "TV off" before leaving X) everything work OK.

Could this be of any help for some of You?

(I could not get a "unscrambled" TV-out picture from X, using the nvidia driver in connection with the nvtv setups, but thats another story.)

Bosse
nbgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-03, 05:08 PM   #14
AceGRC

At least it worked!!!!

a link to the original post from aprodigy is here.

This trick successfully worked on my system... and sorry guys... but our "club" has one less member

Many thanx to you Bosse and many thanx to Marco too.

Haris
AceGRC is offline   Reply With Quote