Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-20-07, 11:08 AM   #1
bitter

Default 169.04 go boom

Like clockwork, after the computer has been on for a while and the kopete icon starts spinning that there is a message, I will click on it and boom, complete crash. It's doesnt do it every time but it is ALWAYS that exact situation.

Code:
Backtrace:
0: /usr/bin/X(xf86SigHandler+0x6a) [0x48dafa]
1: /lib/libc.so.6 [0x2b6fddbdcdc0]
2: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers//nvidia_drv.so(_nv000816X+0x68) [0x2b6fe007f638]

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting
I use compiz, updated that to the newest build, recompiled kopete, nothign matters. sooooo rolling back to prev driver, i do work on this thing
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 nvidia-bug-report.log.bz2 (25.3 KB, 91 views)
File Type: bz2 Xorg.0.log.old.bz2 (5.7 KB, 87 views)
bitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-07, 02:17 AM   #2
nevion

Default Re: 169.04 go boom

I have a similar problem with 169.04... a slightly different backtrace
Code:
Backtrace:
0: /usr/bin/X(xf86SigHandler+0x6d) [0x48670d]
1: /lib/libc.so.6 [0x3d36c317d0]
2: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nvidia_drv.so [0x2ab220a3dba1]

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting
This happens *very* often when mplayer/totem exits at eof or by me closing it. These are both currently set to use the xv driver. It happens seemingly at random with just a single file, but with something like 6 or more opened and played simultaneously, its guaranteed to happen when a few or more are closed (pretty certainly by the time I get down to one). I should mention things play fine and there seems to be no problem... until something is closed at which point the system may ( or will probably if >=6 players are opened) freeze. I'm using compiz on ubuntu 7.10 amd64.

ps. I used to get this same problem on the previous 100.x drivers, I was just never able to get a backtrace to figure out what happened to the system until recently (the box used to hard lock until I found that pausing before quiting for some reason seems to lessen the likelyhood of a full on hardlock),
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report-segfault.log (142.3 KB, 87 views)
nevion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-07, 09:01 AM   #3
Gregoire.Favre

I also did have complete system crash with this beta here but I wasn't able to get my system back after the crash : I was using mplayer and firefox on amd64 (core duo 2), magick sys rq didn't allow to get anything back.

So I am back to previous beta :-)
Gregoire.Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-07, 03:19 PM   #4
nevion

I've no clue why but the same happened today, but with a twist... my screen was left black and wouldn't come back on till I rebooted. It seems x tried to restart a few times after it died so I lost the original xorg.log, the kernel messages are still present though.... anyway, chvt and various other tricks (sysrq etc) to get back to console wouldn't work and this is new since I usually get back to console to restart x. The problem, as I mentioned before, happens nondeterministically when mplayer exits after playing an arbitrary video. I'm not sure but I think chances of it occuring are heightened when looking at a different desktop than the video is playing on as my last 3 freezes have occured as such.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (131.5 KB, 89 views)
nevion is offline   Reply With Quote