Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-15-07, 11:46 AM   #13
slick
Play with conviction.

Default Re: EVE Online Trinity Overhaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
The game still sucks.

Eve, the freedom to wonder around lost for months on end. Grats!

OH SNAP! I just spent 5 months pimping out my ship. I hit a asteroid and now my ship is gone! Friking awesome.... not.
Someone missed the cardinal rule of EVE: Don't fly what you can't afford to lose.

And apparently someone forgot to buy insurance for their ship as well, which recoups a lot of costs in the event that you are careless with it.

Moreover, it doesn't take 5 months to pimp out a ship. It's not like there's super rare gear that only comes along once in a lifetime. Every turret, missile launcher and afterburner is readily available in EVE, be it a civilian pulse laser or a titan capital assault cannon. "Pimping" your ship out takes a matter of hours, provided you have the money (and skills) required to fit it, and again, that goes back to rule numero uno: Don't fly what you can't afford to lose.

As for getting lost, the galaxy can be a bit overwhelming at first, but that's why they give you a massively comprehensive map system with a great filter set and options that let you find, well, just about anything you want, and then will plot the fastest course for you to take based on how low you're willing to go security-wise.

Basically what I'm saying is that it sounds like you've never even played the game but you're condemning it anyways based on false pretenses about the way the game is played. EVE is extremely unforgiving, but that is one of its many qualities I can appreciate; it keeps all the whiners and casual players away.
Old 12-15-07, 12:12 PM   #14
Gorion
Papahs Pleez

Actually it is very easy to find things to do and make loads of cash. The learning curve is a little steep but once you get going it is not a difficult game.

I haven't wandered around at all. I've been doing one mission after another and always have things to do. The community has been loads of help. And I have found most people are willing to answer questions. (unlike most other mmo's)

They even have a channel just for newbs to ask questions.

So far I am having a good time with it.
Old 12-15-07, 12:19 PM   #15
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Thumbs down Re: EVE Online Trinity Overhaul

Slick you forgot to mention that to get those skills will take months of waiting untill you even can fly or equip cool gear lol EvE is huge sink of time....sadly
Old 12-17-07, 12:47 AM   #16
slick
Play with conviction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=DVS=-
Slick you forgot to mention that to get those skills will take months of waiting untill you even can fly or equip cool gear lol EvE is huge sink of time....sadly
Eh, you can fit smaller ships with decent gear in a relatively short amount of time. Sure you're not going to be flying around a bad ass battleship in a single week of playtime, but let's not have unrealistic expectations here.

While EVE is a timesink, it's much less of a timesink than other MMO's. Because skills are trained passively outside of player action (other than choosing the skill to be trained), you don't feel the compulsive need to play 24/7 to "try and keep up." You can only train skills as fast as the game will let you, and you don't even need to be playing the game to do it. You can play the game at your own pace. EVE relies far less on that MMO-grind addiction to keep players.
Old 12-17-07, 12:16 PM   #17
darkrider01
A little rough at first

Arrow Re: EVE Online Trinity Overhaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
The game still sucks.

Eve, the freedom to wonder around lost for months on end. Grats!

OH SNAP! I just spent 5 months pimping out my ship. I hit a asteroid and now my ship is gone! Friking awesome.... not.
Yeah......you've not played it. Stop trolling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=DVS=-
Aren't all MMO's huge time-sinks? Since the Revelations 2 content came out, creating a character is much easier and you start out with a lot more Skill points (800K). You can be flying a Battlecruiser in just a few days.

Eve takes some dedication in the beginning, but it pays off better than the other MMO's I've tried. But hey, it's not for everyone.
School Bus - Intel i7 4770K * ASRock Z87 Extreme6/AC * EVGA GTX 590 * Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB 2400MHz DDR3* Alienware TactX Keyboard * RAZER Mamba * Pioneer DVR-212D * Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD * 10+TB Other Storage * Ultra X3 1000W PSU * Dell U2913WM * Beats by Dr. Dre headphones * Klipsch Promedia 2.1 * Cooler Master HAF XB * Cooler Master Hyper N520 * Windows 7 Ultimate
Mass Transit - Xeon E3-1275 V2 * G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 * EVGA GTX660 * Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD * Seagate Momentus XT 750GB * Dell 2001FP * Viewsonic VX2250 * Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 * Windows 7 Ultimate
RV - Alienware M18x * i7 2670QM * Dual 560 GTX * 1.25TB Storage * Windows 7 Ultimate
Van by the River - Panasonic PT-AX200U * Homebrew 9' x 5' screen * Pioneer VSX-1121-K * Bose Acoustimass 6 * Velodyne VX10 Subwoofer * PS3/Xbox/Xbox360/Wii/WiiU/DirecTV HR22
Packin HEAT
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-07, 06:39 PM   #18
Tho Jo Smale
Maximum Speed

Ok,

I'm interested in EVE. Have any of you ever played Wing Commander: Privateer?

Eve sounds similar to Privateer, which I loved, only it's MMO.

Is this true?

JC
Thermaltake 750w PSU
HIS Radeon 4870 1024MB 800/960 Cat 9.4 Beta
Creative X-FI APU
Western Digital 640gb Sata II Harddisk
Logitech Z-640 5.1 surround speakers
Lg 52X cd r/w and Lg 16x DVD R/W Lightscribe
3dmark06 14410 http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=8600451
Newbs Helping Newbs brings a tear to my eye
Tho Jo Smale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-08, 07:11 PM   #19
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

[quote=Tho Jo Smale
Eve sounds similar to Privateer, which I loved, only it's MMO.
Is this true?
[/QUOTE]

A little. Theres trading in Eve, missions, and more things like inventing and manufacturing. On the down side the combat in Eve isn't really real-time, you instead you select the enemy, click "attack" then watch while the two ships circle and fire at each other. Who wins depends on who has the better equipped ship and whose been playing the game the longest, theres no skill involved.

Core2 Q9400 @ 3.0, eVGA GTX 260, 4G DDR 800, Vista64
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote