Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-27-07, 11:53 AM   #1
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Default Finally convinced to go Blu-ray.. for now (good article linked inside)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original post
..but almost inevidably going Bluray later of course, unless the studio support changes dramatically, which I doubt. Gonna have to live with two formats for now.

Anyway I wanted Heroes Season 1, that was the first big thing, then as I read on and on, it seems to me that HD DVD wasn't the doomed and already-dead format all the Bluray followers wanted and still wants it to look like.

I almost had my mind made up, then I read a very fine article for my final decision to start out on HD DVD. It's VERY unbiased, it explains why we should care for anything better than DVD anyway and it gives some very well-founded arguments on it's recommendations. Here's the beginning quoted for your convenience

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV Magazine
No, this is not the standard HD DVD vs. Blu-ray article that you may be used to reading. I am not declaring a "winner" because I think we are at a point now where neither camp is going away. Instead, this article explains which format I believe is the better choice for the consumer (you) this holiday season. Could that change a year from now? Sure, but I want to help you decide what to buy this year.

This article is not written in an attempt to convince anyone who has already made an investment one way or the other, for that is an almost impossible feat. It was written for those that are still "on the fence", as they say. It is for those who are either undecided, or are waiting to see which one will come out ahead (or which will be first to waive the white flag). It's time to hop down off of that fence.
- Link: http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/articles...or_blu-ray.php

- Gaco, the neutral, but slightly HD DVD favored HDM player
EDIT: Well as you know I changed my mind (thread title has been changed as well). I'm still pretty neutral but would now prefer if Blu-ray could win and end the format war quickly. I changed my mind when I read the other article where I also read through all the 5 pages of comments which took me about 2-3 hours but was well worth it. I've also accounted for my choice in the post in this page, the one posted by Gandalf 30 Nov 2007 17:33.
CPU: Intel Core2 Q6600@3.3ghz w. Noctua NH-U12P
RAM: 4Gb Crucial Tracer PC-8500
Graphics: XFX Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition
Harddiscs: 2xRaptorX 150gb 10.000 RPM in RAID0
Soundcard: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Sound: Sennheiser HD600 Headphones + headamp
Keyboard: Logitech DiNovo Edge
Mouse: Razor Orochi
Monitor: Samsung 2232BW (22" 1680*1050)

Last edited by Gaco; 12-01-07 at 12:13 PM.
Gaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-07, 01:04 PM   #2
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Default Re: Finally convinced to go HD DVD.. for now (good article linked inside)

To balance it out let me bring this small article by another high ranking guy at HDTV Magazine, who makes a slight nod at Blu-Ray:

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/articles...s_it_yours.php
Old 11-27-07, 04:21 PM   #3
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

Default Re: Finally convinced to go HD DVD.. for now (good article linked inside)

Get the format which has the most movies you want to watch period. If you have a PS3, you have a great Bluray player. HD DVD players are nearing $100 these days so you can have the best of both worlds cheap if you own a PS3 already.
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-07, 07:02 PM   #4
Ruined

IMO the fact that Blu-Ray allows executables to be run on your computer without your permission via BD+ Advanced Countermeasure automatically makes it by far the less consumer friendly choice. I won't let a BD drive or disc within 10 feet of my computer!

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Ruined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-07, 07:07 PM   #5
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N
Get the format which has the most movies you want to watch period.
You're suggesting DVD then?
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-07, 11:45 AM   #6
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Just thought I'd throw in that I've changed my mind and is supporting Blu-ray instead. I don't suppose you're interested in the reason, but I thought I owed you to throw that in
Old 11-30-07, 12:02 PM   #7
stevemedes
Intel Virgin

Send a message via AIM to stevemedes

wtf? you changed your mind? i just bought an HD-DVD player because you said so, now you changed your mind? damnit.
stevemedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-07, 01:24 PM   #8
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemedes
wtf? you changed your mind? i just bought an HD-DVD player because you said so, now you changed your mind? damnit.
wtf I feel kinda guilty now
But don't worry I'm still largely neutral and if you bought the X360 extension or 99$ player that is still very cheap, especially if you also take advantage of many of the many BOGO sales that's out there currently and will give you lots of good HD experiences and I can hardly see that as wasted money AT ALL

Besides several experts actually predicts that both formats will survive and live side by side and that people in the future will go with the combo players as both camps have a somewhat esablished base of early adopters now. That would reduce the whole BD vs. HD question to a matter of what you adopt first for the sake of the exclusive libraries. And I could in fact be wrong after all. And depending on which way it all develops and which way the studios go in the next year or so it could all change to either Blu-ray or HD DVD's favor quite fast, so I could just as well end up with HD DVD as my favorite again. This is a certaincy you have to live with as an early adopter of an HDM format. But I'd just prefer Blu-ray to win the format war after having read through more hours of material on this matter. But hell even many of the editors on the biggest and most respected magazined out there disagree and have each their favorite formats, so don't let this get to you

Sorry I was just a bit too quick on making this thread, I thought I had read all there was to know and all opinions and arguments there was to consider. You could also just choose to buy into both formats. Just let the exclusive titles lead you! If you want to dive deeper into the issue with the formats themselfs just ask if you have any questions

Oh and if it's any consolation, most users over at the excellent place for HDM, hifidigest.com, seem to own slightly more and prefer slightly more of HD DVD:

HD DVD or Blu-ray. What do you OWN?!!

Which format do you own the most movies of? Poll - Blue, Red, or Equal

You have Both HD and BluRay what do you like better and Why

Old 11-30-07, 01:38 PM   #9
Ruined

If you are interested in Blu-Ray you probably should have waited until the final spec (2.0) players are released. All of the current BD players, including the new Panasonic profile 1.1 unit, will not be able to access all the features on future Blu-Ray profile 2.0 discs.

That actually is one advantage of HD DVD, the spec was finalized from the start and all of the players can utilize all of the features in movies released. With BD most are going to have to upgrade their players to get all the features.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Ruined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-07, 01:45 PM   #10
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined
If you are interested in Blu-Ray you probably should have waited until the final spec (2.0) players are released. All of the current BD players, including the new Panasonic profile 1.1 unit, will not be able to access all the features on future Blu-Ray profile 2.0 discs.

That actually is one advantage of HD DVD, the spec was finalized from the start and all of the players can utilize all of the features in movies released. With BD most are going to have to upgrade their players to get all the features.
If one is concerned about the developing profile of the Blu-ray format, one could choose a player that has the ability to update it's firmware to a newer profile spec. I know the PS3 and a few Samsung players can do this

But yeah the incomplete/inconsistent spec of Blu-ray is probably it's greatest disadvantage, one I also took into consideration when I finally made up my mind and balancing the equation into my personal choice, preferring Blu-ray.

BTW I haven't bought anything yet since whatever I'm gonna buy is gonna be a chrismas present for my dad, but I'm buying a PS3 sooner or later so I'm now just making that sooner. Instead of Heroes, which I will dearly miss in HD, I'll buy Planet Earth on Blu-ray instead.
Old 11-30-07, 10:47 PM   #11
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined
IMO the fact that Blu-Ray allows executables to be run on your computer without your permission via BD+ Advanced Countermeasure automatically makes it by far the less consumer friendly choice. I won't let a BD drive or disc within 10 feet of my computer!
when did they start this?
Old 12-01-07, 12:10 AM   #12
mullet

I can't wait to the Q1 2008 HD-DVD movie sales or really February this will give people time to get some HD-DVD's after unwrapping there new HD-DVD player from under the tree.

BTW: Didn't EC buy like 20 A2's for relatives for Christmas?