Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-28-07, 05:42 PM   #1
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default HDTV Capture Card - Which One?

Hey guys. Here is my current A/V setup:

32" Westinghouse LCD (720p/1080i)
Sony Dream Theater 5.1 Surround Sound
XBOX 360 (optical cable to surround sound )
Comcast Motorola HD Cable Box

So I'm going to start buying some parts to build a HTPC and I wanna start with the HD capture card. Not only am I going to use it for SD/HD recording, but my mom is going to pay me to put our old 8mm's and VHS home videos on one or two DVDs. So . . . which is the best for this situation?
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 06:20 PM   #2
Bman212121

Default Re: HDTV Capture Card - Which One?

If there is an All in wonder that does HD it might be a decent card. From my experience if your considering an ati tuner card, you better have an ATI video card in your pc. I have 2 of the TV wonder cards, and when I used it with my 6800GT they both would lock the computer up quite often, and it just flat out didn't work well at all. (I think I tried with my Ti4200 as well) I'm using one of the cards in a pc with an ATi x300 and it works flawlessely even with dual monitors. On the 6800GT if I even dared to move the window to the other monitor the computer would lock up. I also have an AIW x850XT with a TV wonder in a different pc, and I've used the dual tuner feature without any issues what so ever. (Two different shows side by side)

They might have fixed some of their issues since then, but I remember having a heck of a time trying to get that to work, and get the software installed.

The one I'm eyeing up right now is the onair GT made by autumnwave. The GT is the mobile one so you could take it with you, but they also have the creator which is an external box that requires DC power. The main difference is the creator has a hardware MPEG2 encoder, so it can do timeshifting of analog (PVR functionality) The Sasem doesn't need to be looked at as it is the older model with a phillips tuner, and the GT and creator have the newer 5th gen LG tuner which is a lot faster at changing channels and has better signal pickup.

http://www.autumnwave.com/

They also have a huge thread dedicated to this tuner at AVSforum.com, and they even have a rep there that has been answering questions, so there is actually good support through their from the company. You can find it here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=695589
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 06:40 PM   #3
six_storm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815116015

This is the one I'm currently looking at. This will be pretty good for capturing video with the S-Video input and then HD input via Coax from my cable box. Any thoughts?
Old 11-29-07, 10:11 AM   #4
six_storm

Anybody?
Old 11-29-07, 10:37 AM   #5
Bman212121

The tuner is quite new and from the reviews I've seen had some problems with the first models, but it sounds like they are fixing those problems. That might be a good tuner but there is very little info about it since it's only a couple of months old.

How are you going to hook up the cable box? I'm guessing your going to use the cable box to tune the channels, then output them to your tuner card. That might be the only workaround for getting encrypted HD channels to work on the tuner card.

Looks good to me though, be the test subject and let us know how it goes.
Old 11-29-07, 11:11 AM   #6
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

this is High Quality stuff!!
http://www.canopus.com/products/Pegasus/index.php

I want one of these, I have older Canopus Capture card, non-HD.
Old 11-29-07, 01:37 PM   #7
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121
The tuner is quite new and from the reviews I've seen had some problems with the first models, but it sounds like they are fixing those problems. That might be a good tuner but there is very little info about it since it's only a couple of months old.

How are you going to hook up the cable box? I'm guessing your going to use the cable box to tune the channels, then output them to your tuner card. That might be the only workaround for getting encrypted HD channels to work on the tuner card.

Looks good to me though, be the test subject and let us know how it goes.
Yeah, I was going to go from the Cable Box -> TV Tuner Card -> Video Card -> TV. Would this work? I've been reading at AVSForums but there are so many freakin threads over there . . . geez.
Old 11-29-07, 02:20 PM   #8
Bman212121

I have no clue, but it sounds good in theory. I would assume they way it would work is that the cable box is used to control the channels, then would output to a specific channel for you to tune in with the pc tuner. The only problem is that I'm not sure if you can get HD when doing it like that.

Old 11-29-07, 06:45 PM   #9
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121
I have no clue, but it sounds good in theory. I would assume they way it would work is that the cable box is used to control the channels, then would output to a specific channel for you to tune in with the pc tuner. The only problem is that I'm not sure if you can get HD when doing it like that.
Hopefully there won't be any encryption/decryption problems since I'm going through the cable box. Guess we will see huh? Well, I think I might just go ahead and go for the 1800 card. It has some good features and I've heard it does alright.

Any other suggestions?
Old 12-01-07, 06:21 PM   #10
XDanger
Whaaat?

HD 3850 , does that work, I guess not.
Old 12-01-07, 11:05 PM   #11
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDanger
HD 3850 , does that work, I guess not.
That's a video card, not a video capture card.
Old 12-02-07, 09:16 AM   #12
XDanger
Whaaat?

HD ViVo (Video In Video Out), The HD 3850 also upscales HD

The reason I say it wont work is HDCP which I thought is a DRM to stop you recording HD content