Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-03-07, 09:29 AM   #109
OldOfEvil
Parrots + Xanax =
 
OldOfEvil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 662
Default Re: Wii sells 650k in 2 weeks

And for the record. RE4 is a great game despite its departure from the previous games. I wonder if you were one of those people who thought Mario 64 sucked because it wasn't a side scroller like its predecessors as well.
__________________
i5 3570k | Sabertooth z77 | GTX 680 (320.49) | 16GB DDR2 | Win7 x64 Pro
OldOfEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-07, 09:51 AM   #110
Amuro
Newtype Ace
 
Amuro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 3,206
Default Re: Wii sells 650k in 2 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
Bottom line is that you should get whatever system fits your needs the most. If that's the PS3, great. If it's the Wii, great. But you can't say there isn't an objective basis by which to say, overall, that the Wii is the better console or better value at this point. A strong argument could be made for it based on all of the above factors.
There you said it, that's what I've been trying to say all along. And we finally agree on something. Howerever, I still do not agree that there is a objective basis like you said.

Sure the Wii is a better value, no doubt about that, but is it a better console in the absolute sense? How to do you define better? Do you base your judgement on game library? It's easy to judge which game is great which is bad rather objectively. But Just because a console has lots of great games, does not necesarily mean it automatically appeals to everyone. Tons of people like the Wii, but there're aslo people let their Wii's collect dust because of the lack of games appealing to them.

Take movies for example, there're great movies that won lots of Oscars, but do you really enjoy watching every single one of them? Maybe not. Maybe you're only interested in certain types of movies. Now let's say there're two movie channels, and one shows a lot more oscar winning movies than the other? Now, tell me which channel is better?

Now let's look at another example, PS2 Vs GameCube. PS2 is a great success, but can you really say it's better than the cube? No. It depends on the person.
__________________
Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P80 Black | Intel Core i7-3960X @4.3Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4 x 4GB @1866Mhz CL9 |eVGA GTX 690 Hydro Copper | Cruscial M4 512GB SATA III SSD | WD VelociRaptor 300GB | Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB | Pioneer BDR-205BK 12x Blu-ray Burner | Creative x-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Sound Card | Corsair A1200 1200W PSU

Water cooled by Koolance ERM-3K3UC Cooling System
Amuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-07, 09:57 AM   #111
Amuro
Newtype Ace
 
Amuro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 3,206
Default Re: Wii sells 650k in 2 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOfEvil
And for the record. RE4 is a great game despite its departure from the previous games. I wonder if you were one of those people who thought Mario 64 sucked because it wasn't a side scroller like its predecessors as well.
Maybe I should not have said that RE simply sucked, but rather it's not that appealing to me as I'm more used to the original style of the series.
__________________
Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P80 Black | Intel Core i7-3960X @4.3Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4 x 4GB @1866Mhz CL9 |eVGA GTX 690 Hydro Copper | Cruscial M4 512GB SATA III SSD | WD VelociRaptor 300GB | Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB | Pioneer BDR-205BK 12x Blu-ray Burner | Creative x-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Sound Card | Corsair A1200 1200W PSU

Water cooled by Koolance ERM-3K3UC Cooling System
Amuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-07, 09:53 PM   #112
Xion X2
Registered User
 
Xion X2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: U.S.
Posts: 6,701
Default Re: Wii sells 650k in 2 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro
Sure the Wii is a better value, no doubt about that, but is it a better console in the absolute sense? How to do you define better? Do you base your judgement on game library? It's easy to judge which game is great which is bad rather objectively. But Just because a console has lots of great games, does not necesarily mean it automatically appeals to everyone. Tons of people like the Wii, but there're aslo people let their Wii's collect dust because of the lack of games appealing to them.

Take movies for example, there're great movies that won lots of Oscars, but do you really enjoy watching every single one of them? Maybe not. Maybe you're only interested in certain types of movies. Now let's say there're two movie channels, and one shows a lot more oscar winning movies than the other? Now, tell me which channel is better?
Blah, blah, blah, Amuro...

Everything can be questioned based on people's personal tastes, but that does not mean you cannot assign an objective basis to something if given enough evidence to weigh in its favor. And what you've done here is completely backpeddle and turn a 180 once you realized you had no leg to stand on with your objective argument about the PS3 being as good or better of a console as the Wii. You started off calling Wii players "non-gamers" or "casual gamers" and now you're going off on all this bullsh*t about "personal tastes."

Meh.
__________________

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-07, 10:36 PM   #113
Amuro
Newtype Ace
 
Amuro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 3,206
Default Re: Wii sells 650k in 2 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
Blah, blah, blah, Amuro...

Everything can be questioned based on people's personal tastes, but that does not mean you cannot assign an objective basis to something if given enough evidence to weigh in its favor. And what you've done here is completely backpeddle and turn a 180 once you realized you had no leg to stand on with your objective argument about the PS3 being as good or better of a console as the Wii. You started off calling Wii players "non-gamers" or "casual gamers" and now you're going off on all this bullsh*t about "personal tastes."

Meh.
My God! That is complete bull****. I never said or tried to convey that PS3 is a better console, and I only mentioned PS3 when someone brought it up first, usually by Zelda_fan or you. Geesuz, please stop putting words in my mouth. I hate to call you an idiot, but you sure are acting like one. Please go back and find one post where I said PS3 was better, if you can!

And it is a fact that Wii's install base consist a majority of casual gamers . I don't understand why you refuse to believe it. Please go back to my post on page 1, reread the whole thing instead of just the first line, then please read the first link below and have a clue. A huge install base of casual gamers is the reason why game sales are sluggish, which is probably why 3rd party developers are reluctant to release their best games on Wii. You don't care about 3rd party games but I do. BTW, what does saying Wii buyers are mostly casual and non-gamers have anything to do with PS3?

http://www.games.net/blog/41073/gala...rio-flies-low/
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/...5-24-wii_n.htm
http://www.gamecritics.com/wii-and-t...al-gaming-boom
**there are many more on this, google it yourself.

And please cut your objective basis crap because it doesn't prove anything. Sure Wii has a few games rated 9.6 or above, but dude, that means exactly what to me if I don't like the type of games? Absolutely nothing! BTW, the best selling games on Wii are the casual games, Wii Sports and Wii Play, which aren't rated that well at all. The best rated games like Zelda don't even come close in sales. It's always about personal tastes and preferences. Why can't you understand?!
__________________
Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P80 Black | Intel Core i7-3960X @4.3Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4 x 4GB @1866Mhz CL9 |eVGA GTX 690 Hydro Copper | Cruscial M4 512GB SATA III SSD | WD VelociRaptor 300GB | Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB | Pioneer BDR-205BK 12x Blu-ray Burner | Creative x-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Sound Card | Corsair A1200 1200W PSU

Water cooled by Koolance ERM-3K3UC Cooling System
Amuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-07, 10:27 AM   #114
Sabadin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 257
Default Re: Wii sells 650k in 2 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro
BTW, the best selling games on Wii are the casual games, Wii Sports..
Wow, the game that's included in the box is outselling everything else, nice point captain obvious. Next your going to say all PS3 launch title sales are irrelevant because Taledega Nights BD outsold them all?
Sabadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-07, 12:00 PM   #115
Zelda_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,299
Default Re: Wii sells 650k in 2 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro
Anyways, Wii really has no games for those that are not into the Mario, Zelda, and Metroid stuff.
Yeah I know what you mean becasue Mario, Zelda, and Metroid and all nearly identical. Damn, I wish I was mature like you Amuro so I didn't like kiddie games like Zelda and Metroid, and I only liked elite Jap games like Gundam.


HAHA

NOT!
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-07, 05:40 PM   #116
Marvel_us
FOOL!
 
Marvel_us's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 3,754
Default Re: Wii sells 650k in 2 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabadin
Wow, the game that's included in the box is outselling everything else, nice point captain obvious. Next your going to say all PS3 launch title sales are irrelevant because Taledega Nights BD outsold them all?
Actually he's right. Wii Sports is sold separately in Japan and held the number 1 spot for quite some time there. Mario Galaxy fell out of the top 10 in Japan on it's 2nd or 3rd week.

So yea....maybe it wasn't that obvious to YOU.
__________________
Main Rig
Intel Q6600 QUAD|| Gigabyte P35-DS3L ||XFX 7900GTX|| G.Skill 6GB PC2-6400 || OCZ Agility 60GB SSD || WD 320GB + WD Green 1TB HDD || Samsung 20" LCD || CoolMax 650W PSU ||

60gb PS3 Owner
PSNid: Marvel_us
Marvel_us is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-07, 05:44 PM   #117
methimpikehoses
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Wii sells 650k in 2 weeks

Wii FTW
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-07, 11:32 PM   #118
Amuro
Newtype Ace
 
Amuro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 3,206
Default Re: Wii sells 650k in 2 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
Yeah I know what you mean becasue Mario, Zelda, and Metroid and all nearly identical. Damn, I wish I was mature like you Amuro so I didn't like kiddie games like Zelda and Metroid, and I only liked elite Jap games like Gundam.


HAHA

NOT!
Dude, it's ok to like whatever you like, there's nothing to make fun of. I personally have nothing aginst Mario, Zelda...
__________________
Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P80 Black | Intel Core i7-3960X @4.3Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4 x 4GB @1866Mhz CL9 |eVGA GTX 690 Hydro Copper | Cruscial M4 512GB SATA III SSD | WD VelociRaptor 300GB | Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB | Pioneer BDR-205BK 12x Blu-ray Burner | Creative x-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Sound Card | Corsair A1200 1200W PSU

Water cooled by Koolance ERM-3K3UC Cooling System
Amuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-07, 11:34 PM   #119
Amuro
Newtype Ace
 
Amuro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 3,206
Default Re: Wii sells 650k in 2 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabadin
Wow, the game that's included in the box is outselling everything else, nice point captain obvious. Next your going to say all PS3 launch title sales are irrelevant because Taledega Nights BD outsold them all?
It wasn't included for me, I had to buy it. Maybe in the US it's included, I dont' know. Anyways, even if you ignore Wii Sports, there's still Wii Play, which outsold Zelda by a few millions.
__________________
Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P80 Black | Intel Core i7-3960X @4.3Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4 x 4GB @1866Mhz CL9 |eVGA GTX 690 Hydro Copper | Cruscial M4 512GB SATA III SSD | WD VelociRaptor 300GB | Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB | Pioneer BDR-205BK 12x Blu-ray Burner | Creative x-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Sound Card | Corsair A1200 1200W PSU

Water cooled by Koolance ERM-3K3UC Cooling System
Amuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-07, 11:54 PM   #120
Amuro
Newtype Ace
 
Amuro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 3,206
Default Re: Wii sells 650k in 2 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel_us
Actually he's right. Wii Sports is sold separately in Japan and held the number 1 spot for quite some time there. Mario Galaxy fell out of the top 10 in Japan on it's 2nd or 3rd week.

So yea....maybe it wasn't that obvious to YOU.
Yeah, Wii Sports is Wii's first million-seller in Japan.
__________________
Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P80 Black | Intel Core i7-3960X @4.3Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4 x 4GB @1866Mhz CL9 |eVGA GTX 690 Hydro Copper | Cruscial M4 512GB SATA III SSD | WD VelociRaptor 300GB | Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB | Pioneer BDR-205BK 12x Blu-ray Burner | Creative x-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Sound Card | Corsair A1200 1200W PSU

Water cooled by Koolance ERM-3K3UC Cooling System
Amuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
E3 arrives, Sim City astounds, Wii U bemuses News Gaming Headlines 0 06-09-12 11:10 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.