Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-29-07, 04:12 PM   #49
ralinn
Masters

Default Re: Wii sells 650k in 2 weeks

Yeah, it's great that Nintendo are doing so well but heck, numbers mean nothing. Over here, 'Learn to Drive' is #5 in the HMV PC charts. Says it all really.

3Dmark06 Score: Who the **** actually cares?
360 & PSN ID: ralinn
ralinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-07, 06:01 PM   #50
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoweredBySoy
The Wii, and the vast majority if its library, is targeted towards non-gamers. The house wives, the bored girlfriends, the 11-year old that can't afford to buy his own console.
What a load of crap.

Any gamer in his late twenties/early thirties practically grew up playing the best-selling franchises that are on the Wii like Mario, Zelda, and Metroid. In fact, a strong argument could be made that the crowd playing Wii are more interested in true "games" than wannabe movies with horrid gameplay such as Sony has been cranking out lately.

Much of the Sony crowd are a bunch of graphic whores, not gamers. Kutaragi has created a sort of cult devoted to almost nothing but improving graphics while gameplay goes completely down the ****ter. And it's not exclusive to the PS3. The PC suffers from the same fate of great looking games that lack unique gameplay elements.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-07, 06:06 PM   #51
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel_us
Lair wasn't a Sony first party game. Most of Sony's first party devs haven't even shown their hand yet. The ones that have aren't due out until next year. If it doesn't get delayed, the next Sony first party game should be Killzone 2....however I doubt that's coming out on time.
Quote:
Lair (Rise from Lair in Japan) is a video game developed by Factor 5 and published by Sony Computer Entertainment America in which the player controls a knight named Rohn who belongs to the Asylian peoples' elite dragon-riding force.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lair_(video_game)

Is factor 5 not a first-party? They're directly tied to Sony publishing, and I thought that usually qualified them as such.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 11-29-07, 06:07 PM   #52
PoweredBySoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
yeah, it's called arguing with ACTUAL FACTS, not bull**** opinions like "oMG Wii iZ uH kiDDY tOY!"
Yeah, but you're using these facts to try and convince everyone that the Wii is the best console - which is a pretty much a douchebag argument to begin with.

All your numbers do is prove that Wii has hit the mainstream.

Hanna Montana. Justin Timberlake. Pokemon. All awesome stuff.
PoweredBySoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-07, 06:11 PM   #53
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoweredBySoy
Yeah, but you're using these facts to try and convince everyone that the Wii is the best console - which is a pretty much a douchebag argument to begin with.
What's "douchebag" about it? It has better controls, has sold more systems, has better games, and is 150$ cheaper than the cheapest PS3 while also being backwards compatible.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 11-29-07, 06:20 PM   #54
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
What's "douchebag" about it? It has better controls, has sold more systems, has better games, and is 150$ cheaper than the cheapest PS3 while also being backwards compatible.
Things is bold: That's just your preference. I can't judge much about the Wii until I get one this Christmas, but you can't really use those points to prove things.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-07, 06:23 PM   #55
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lair_(video_game)

Is factor 5 not a first-party? They're directly tied to Sony publishing, and I thought that usually qualified them as such.
First party means the dev studio is owned by Sony. Factor5 are free to create games on other systems.

Like Bungie was to Microsoft, like Polyphony Digital is to Sony. Team Ico is also another one of Sony's first party devs.

60gb PS3 Owner
PSNid: Marvel_us
Marvel_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-07, 10:07 PM   #56
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd
I can't believe so many people are willing to pay $250 for a new accessory for their gamecube. Console market is filled with freaking nuts man.
I agree. It's amazing that a single PS3 has even been sold. Console market is filled with freaking nuts man.

Old 11-29-07, 10:46 PM   #57
Amuro
Newtype Ace

Quote:
You make the mistake of assuming becasue it doesn't fit your tastes, that it won't be successful. It's been out over a year and sold 15 million units. That's already more successful than the gamecube or original XBOX. There's no way that's a "fad."
Time will tell whether it's a fad or not, we shall see. If Wii continues to sell like hot cakes in the next 2-3 years, then I would say it's a success and not a fad.
Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P80 Black | Intel Core i7-3960X @4.3Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4 x 4GB @1866Mhz CL9 |eVGA GTX 690 Hydro Copper | Cruscial M4 512GB SATA III SSD | WD VelociRaptor 300GB | Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB | Pioneer BDR-205BK 12x Blu-ray Burner | Creative x-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Sound Card | Corsair A1200 1200W PSU

Water cooled by Koolance ERM-3K3UC Cooling System
Amuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-07, 10:49 PM   #58
methimpikehoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro
Time will tell whether it's a fad or not, we shall see. If Wii continues to sell like hot cakes in the next 2-3 years, then I would say it's a success and not a fad.
Right, hasn't it been the #1 console for a solid year now? 2 xmas's?
Old 11-29-07, 10:54 PM   #59
Amuro
Newtype Ace

Quote:
Manhunt 2 is rated M. Personally I'd never touch the game as I think anyone who needs to play crap like that is a wannabe tough guy.
Me neither. I said nice M rated games, but Manhunt is just not nice, plus it's available on other platforms.
Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P80 Black | Intel Core i7-3960X @4.3Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4 x 4GB @1866Mhz CL9 |eVGA GTX 690 Hydro Copper | Cruscial M4 512GB SATA III SSD | WD VelociRaptor 300GB | Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB | Pioneer BDR-205BK 12x Blu-ray Burner | Creative x-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Sound Card | Corsair A1200 1200W PSU

Water cooled by Koolance ERM-3K3UC Cooling System
Amuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-07, 11:09 PM   #60
methimpikehoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter Bandit
I'm not here to argue that the Wii isn't a success, but I abhor the controls for the Wii. There are great games on the Wii...but I'd rather play them with a Gamecube controller than a Wiimote. Thankfully, Super Mario Galaxy doesn't use excessive use of the motion controls from what I've seen. Super Mario Galaxy has ALMOST convinced me to get a Wii.

Almost.
There's a fair amount of wiimoting in Mario.