Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-01-07, 09:39 PM   #97
Amuro
Newtype Ace

Default Re: Wii sells 650k in 2 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaitoSan
What do you exactly mean by "survival horror style"? I believe RE4 is one of those.
Well, RE up to 3 is basically scary Action Adventure with puzzles solving and combat occasionally, R4 is almost entirely about shooting, so it's basically a 3rd person shooter, and is not scary. It's gross, but not scary.
Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P80 Black | Intel Core i7-3960X @4.3Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4 x 4GB @1866Mhz CL9 |eVGA GTX 690 Hydro Copper | Cruscial M4 512GB SATA III SSD | WD VelociRaptor 300GB | Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB | Pioneer BDR-205BK 12x Blu-ray Burner | Creative x-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Sound Card | Corsair A1200 1200W PSU

Water cooled by Koolance ERM-3K3UC Cooling System
Amuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-07, 09:42 PM   #98
Amuro
Newtype Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
He's being a dick.
And you're not? You still haven't answered my quesiton about a list of 3rd party games that are better than all the crap on PS3.
Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P80 Black | Intel Core i7-3960X @4.3Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4 x 4GB @1866Mhz CL9 |eVGA GTX 690 Hydro Copper | Cruscial M4 512GB SATA III SSD | WD VelociRaptor 300GB | Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB | Pioneer BDR-205BK 12x Blu-ray Burner | Creative x-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Sound Card | Corsair A1200 1200W PSU

Old 12-02-07, 10:47 AM   #99
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro
And you're not? You still haven't answered my quesiton about a list of 3rd party games that are better than all the crap on PS3.
And what "great" 3rd party games are there on PS3 right now?

Face it. There aren't any "great" games on PS3, period. There may be some good games, but there aren't any great games that are well-worth a $59.99/$399.99 purchase. Unless you have a stack of blu-ray movies, that is.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-07, 11:12 AM   #100
Blackcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
And what "great" 3rd party games are there on PS3 right now?

Face it. There aren't any "great" games on PS3, period. There may be some good games, but there aren't any great games that are well-worth a $59.99/$399.99 purchase. Unless you have a stack of blu-ray movies, that is.

Uncharted is a great game. It is the best game I have played on either PS3 or Xbox360, yes I have both. I don't understand why it did not get higher reviews, since this whole gamespot thing I sometimes wonder about these things...
Old 12-02-07, 01:17 PM   #101
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat
Uncharted is a great game. It is the best game I have played on either PS3 or Xbox360, yes I have both. I don't understand why it did not get higher reviews, since this whole gamespot thing I sometimes wonder about these things...
That's probably the closest contender, but Gamespot wasn't alone in not giving it a "great" rating. Gametrailers gave it an 8.9:

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/2654.html

Meanwhile Mario, Zelda, and Metroid all received 9.6+.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 12-02-07, 03:31 PM   #102
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

Quote:
Well, RE up to 3 is basically scary Action Adventure with puzzles solving and combat occasionally, R4 is almost entirely about shooting, so it's basically a 3rd person shooter, and is not scary. It's gross, but not scary.
RE4 does have a bit of puzzle and stuff but yeah, it's most of shooting stuff. But it's so much fun you'll have to admit.

RE5 will look same as RE4 but with several improvements. Maybe this time they'll have more puzzles solving, or whatever.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-07, 08:37 PM   #103
Amuro
Newtype Ace

Quote:
That's probably the closest contender, but Gamespot wasn't alone in not giving it a "great" rating. Gametrailers gave it an 8.9:

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/2654.html

Meanwhile Mario, Zelda, and Metroid all received 9.6+.
Come on, don't just look at the scores. PS3 and Wii have very diffierent games. I mean you can't compare games like Uncharted to Mario, it's comparing apples to oranges. Ratchet & Clank is prbably the only game currently on the PS3 that is comparable in style to the Wii games. Anyways, Wii really has no games for those that are not into the Mario, Zelda, and Metroid stuff. And BTW, those games have always been Nintendo's best selling games, even on the N64 and GameCube they sold millions every time, so I wouldn't be surprised that they got great reviews. For me, so far there's only one game on the Wii that I really like, the Gundam game mentioned earlier, and that is about it.

Old 12-02-07, 11:11 PM   #104
Xion X2

Quote:
Come on, don't just look at the scores.
LOL. Then what objective basis would you have for us to go by? Your opinion?

Quote:
PS3 and Wii have very diffierent games. I mean you can't compare games like Uncharted to Mario
Yes you can. You can compare the richness of gameplay, performance aspects, controls, presentation, story, etc. It's easy to make comparisons across genres.

Quote:
And BTW, those games have always been Nintendo's best selling games, even on the N64 and GameCube they sold millions every time, so I wouldn't be surprised that they got great reviews.
So what? Who cares if the franchises have been around for 5,000,000,000 years since dinosaurs walked the earth? They're still great games and should be factored into the discussion.

You're creating some really stupid arguments to try and prove some kind of point here. I've been a Sony fan in the past.. owned both a PS1 and PS2 while telling Nintendo to go to hell, but why make excuses for a subpar product (which the PS3 is at this point?)

It's more expensive (by 150$), not backwards compatible (while the competition is), and has a weaker library of games. Just where is the advantage here?

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz

Old 12-03-07, 12:09 AM   #105
Amuro
Newtype Ace

Quote:
LOL. Then what objective basis would you have for us to go by? Your opinion?
Reviews are subjective to begin with, let alone by just looking at the scores.

Quote:
Yes you can. You can compare the richness of gameplay, performance aspects, controls, presentation, story, etc. It's easy to make comparisons across genres.
What is the point of comparing across genres? I would like you to compare a Flight Sim to Mario.

Quote:
So what? Who cares if the franchises have been around for 5,000,000,000 years since dinosaurs walked the earth? They're still great games and should be factored into the discussion.
You don't get the point. Did I say they're not good games? They have always been good on every Nintendo console, and kids go crazy for them. And theyr'e the only games that are great on the Wii currently, but still, not everyone is into Mario, Zelda... I've personally never cared about them. What I have been trying to say is that differnt games for different people. With that said, I'd like to see a better third party effort on Wii. Nintendo has been so busy churning out hardware lately, but hasn't done much about 3rd party support.

Quote:
You're creating some really stupid arguments to try and prove some kind of point here. I've been a Sony fan in the past.. owned both a PS1 and PS2 while telling Nintendo to go to hell, but why make excuses for a subpar product (which the PS3 is at this point?)

It's more expensive (by 150$), not backwards compatible (while the competition is), and has a weaker library of games. Just where is the advantage here?
What argument have I been trying to create? You're making it sound like I'm trying to prove that PS3 is a better console than Wii, which isn't what I'm trying to do. I haven't been a fanboy of any console, or tried to tell any console maker to go to hell. I buy any console that has games that appeal to me, even if it's just one game. I have both Wii, well, actually my son does, and PS3. I even own a GameCube because of two games, Gundam Ace Pilot and Beach Spikers. You're however trying to convince peole Wii has games with higher review scores than any of the PS3 stuff so it's obviously a better console, but failed to see not everyone's into the same type of games.

If you want to talk about advantages and disadvantages, I agree that Wii is cheaper and PS3's too expensive, but with regard to the game libraries, both console fall short when compared to that of the 360. It all depends on your own taste of games. You might find Wii's library better if you are into Nintedno first party games, otherwise there isn't really much to play. Same for PS3, as there're only a few games that're worth getting at the moment, the others are either multiplatform stuff, or just simply not worth it.

And regarding backward compatiblity of the PS3, yeah, I know it sucks that Sony had to remove BC to reduce cost. Lucky that I have a 60GB version. Is the 80GB version still around? If so, then you might have to get that instead of the 40GB version if you want backward compatibility.

Old 12-03-07, 06:34 AM   #106
Xion X2

Quote:
Reviews are subjective to begin with, let alone by just looking at the scores.
They are the most objective measurement we have to go by as long as you take samples from multiple sources instead of just one.

Come on, guy.. we do the same thing with computer hardware. Don't you usually place some sort of semblance on computer hardware based on how it does in benchmarks on review sites? Of course you do.. we all do it every day. The same goes for software that gets rated in reviews from professional review sites.

You're really reaching here. You're acting as if the 3 aforementioned titles only received one glaring review instead of it being a consensus across the board that those are the better games, which everybody says they are.

Quote:
What is the point of comparing across genres? I would like you to compare a Flight Sim to Mario.
Can you honestly sit there and tell me that you don't believe you can judge two games on things like--
  • How much fun they are to play?
  • How inventive the art is?
  • How good the music is?
  • How good the graphics are?

Of course you can. You can do a direct comparison on each of the things above easily as long as you factor in past games of that genre to use as a baseline that weighs in.

Quote:
What argument have I been trying to create? You're making it sound like I'm trying to prove that PS3 is a better console than Wii, which isn't what I'm trying to do.
Oh you're not? What about this comment of yours from page 1?

Quote:
Thing is most people that buy Wii are mostly casual or non-gamers that only buys 1 or 2 games a year if at all.
You've been awfully persistent on this topic in arguing against the console and calling those who own it "non-gamers."

Quote:
You're however trying to convince peole Wii has games with higher review scores than any of the PS3 stuff so it's obviously a better console, but failed to see not everyone's into the same type of games.
There's an objective basis there to say that it is a better console. It's 150$ cheaper while being backwards compatible and has better franchises. If you want to argue against that, then you'd be in the extreme minority.

Of course not everyone is going to be into the same type of games--duh. But you seem to want to make some sort of an excluded list based on the fact that Nintendo's "great" titles are first-party? Uhh, so what? You have one platformer (Mario), one RPG (Zelda) and one FPS (Metroid)--all 3 of which are some of the best to ever grace their genres. You'd be in the extreme minority of folks who wouldn't take pleasure in these games. Most of us in our late twenties or early thirties grew up on them, and they have served as the basis by which many other games try to measure up to.

Quote:
If you want to talk about advantages and disadvantages, I agree that Wii is cheaper and PS3's too expensive, but with regard to the game libraries, both console fall short when compared to that of the 360.
You have a point, but the 360 has also been out a year longer.

Quote:
Is the 80GB version still around? If so, then you might have to get that instead of the 40GB version if you want backward compatibility.
There is no way I would pay 499$ for that console. And to get one that's backwards-compatible right now I would have to (for a new one, anyway.)

Bottom line is that you should get whatever system fits your needs the most. If that's the PS3, great. If it's the Wii, great. But you can't say there isn't an objective basis by which to say, overall, that the Wii is the better console or better value at this point. A strong argument could be made for it based on all of the above factors.

I do, however, agree with you that Nintendo needs to work on their 3rd party support. That is the only thing keeping them from dominating the market at this point (although I think there are some decent 3rd party games, none of them could be considered "great.")

Nights, from Sega, perhaps has a chance to be a good one:

http://www.sega.com/gamesite/nights/

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 12-03-07, 09:01 AM   #107
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Quote:
They are the most objective measurement we have to go by as long as you take samples from multiple sources instead of just one.

Come on, guy.. we do the same thing with computer hardware. Don't you usually place some sort of semblance on computer hardware based on how it does in benchmarks on review sites? Of course you do.. we all do it every day. The same goes for software that gets rated in reviews from professional review sites.

You're really reaching here. You're acting as if the 3 aforementioned titles only received one glaring review instead of it being a consensus across the board that those are the better games, which everybody says they are.
Hardware reviews contain statistical data which are facts. Higher or lower numbers = high review/better product. That's not the same as video game reviews. You have one "professional" reviewer playing the game and giving his opinion.

60gb PS3 Owner
PSNid: Marvel_us
Marvel_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-07, 09:28 AM   #108
OldOfEvil
Parrots + Xanax =

First console my dad picked up since the original NES was a Wii not to long ago. I'd say thats pretty impressive considering he normally plays games like solitaire on the computer. Nintendo definitely tapped into something with the Wii.