Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-29-07, 11:22 PM   #1
Zapablast05
ZapaFAILmaster of Merwang

Send a message via AIM to Zapablast05
Default Is it my 360 or my TV?

When I bought my Westinghouse 42" HDTV, I bought an HDMI cable for my 360 so I wouldn't have to use the rbg(?) cable that the 360 came with. I double checked my TV settings and my 360 and they were both on 1080p and in the HDMI port, so I was set. When I popped in Guitar Hero III, the edges are now jagged with the HDMI cable and when I was using the plain old, regular A/V jacks on an SDTV, it wasn't jagged at all. Could this be something with the 360 or the TV? Or maybe the cable? It's a Rocketfish 3Ft. HDMI cable. Was I supposed to get an "Xbox certified" cable?

Xbox Live: Zapablast05 click!|3DMark06: 17,001|
PSN: Zapablast05
Originally Posted by crainger: "Come meet my son Zapablast05"
Originally Posted by crainger: A truck wont get the pussy zapa has become accustomed to.
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL: In fact, I measure years in BC and AC (before Camp0rz and after Camp0rz).
I don't want to get you drunk, but, ah, that's a very fine Chardonnay you're not drinking.
Zapablast05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-07, 11:43 PM   #2
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Re: Is it my 360 or my TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapablast05
When I bought my Westinghouse 42" HDTV, I bought an HDMI cable for my 360 so I wouldn't have to use the rbg(?) cable that the 360 came with. I double checked my TV settings and my 360 and they were both on 1080p and in the HDMI port, so I was set. When I popped in Guitar Hero III, the edges are now jagged with the HDMI cable and when I was using the plain old, regular A/V jacks on an SDTV, it wasn't jagged at all. Could this be something with the 360 or the TV? Or maybe the cable? It's a Rocketfish 3Ft. HDMI cable. Was I supposed to get an "Xbox certified" cable?
thats what you get when you upscale 720p (and less) rendered game to 1080p.

SDTV is 480i to image was downscalled
Old 11-29-07, 11:44 PM   #3
Zapablast05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter Bandit
The cable shouldn't be causing any problems. When you say the edges are now jagged, are you talking about traditional polygon jaggies, or something along the edges of the screen?

Jagged as in....there is no anti-aliasing in the game....in ANY game. It's just more noticeable in GH3. So it's not the cable...can it be something else? My 360 is barely 1 week old and it's a Falcon board 360, so all the stuff that was wrong with the other 360's should be fixed, including AA, but I still see loads of aliasing..

Originally Posted by crainger: A truck wont get the pussy zapa has become accustomed to.
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL: In fact, I measure years in BC and AC (before Camp0rz and after Camp0rz).
I don't want to get you drunk, but, ah, that's a very fine Chardonnay you're not drinking.
Old 11-29-07, 11:48 PM   #4
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

take a 1280x720 jpg picture and upscale it to 1920x1080, it will get pixalated.

samething happens in games.
Old 11-29-07, 11:49 PM   #5
Zapablast05

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
thats what you get when you upscale 720p (and less) rendered game to 1080p.

SDTV is 480i to image was downscalled

But my games say that the HDTV support is 720p/1080i/1080p. Could the 360 be just like a PC that when the resolution gets bigger, image quality is compromised for smoother play?

Old 11-29-07, 11:52 PM   #6
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapablast05
But my games say that it supports 720p/1080i/1080p. Could the 360 be just like a PC that when the resolution gets bigger, image quality is compromised for smoother play?
game says? just like Halo3 game box says it supports 1080p? when in fact Bungle themself said it renders in less then 720p(renders in about 640p only)?

one tip, don't trust what it says on the game box.
Old 11-29-07, 11:55 PM   #7
Zapablast05

Oh so it's just the game basically? Because the XBOX 360 logo at the start up is like that too.

Old 11-30-07, 12:05 AM   #8
Zapablast05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter Bandit
I'm leaning towards it just being the way the 360 looks on a 42" HDTV. I've got a 32", and I still notice jaggies on my 360 and PS3.

If you were able to manage a screenshot, we could probably confirm it.

I took a picture with my phone instead of MX vs. ATV Unleased. I set the Xbox's settings to 720p and there's no difference. I took some screenies of Forza Motorsport 2 but they're still not on the site. Anyways, here's the MX picture:

Old 11-30-07, 02:17 AM   #9
LycosV

If you're talking about the jagged edge on that white overhang in the second picture, that's pure polygonal jaggies from the game rendering. If you're talking about the slightly ragged/fuzzy look to the letters in the first shot that's because the monitor/TV is an LCD.

You can tell it's not scaler jaggies because the sloped black line above "to play" isn't jagged. Even though it is a 2D effect if you were getting upscaling jagged edges that would be jagged too.
LycosV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-07, 11:02 AM   #10
Lyme

Zap pull out your tv manual and find out what the max native resolution is, then set your 360 to the resolution that is as close to that as possible. Should that still be giving the same result, you can try the following things:
-Plug it in to the other hdmi port on your tv (if it has more than one).
-Go into your lcd tv menu options and turn off image resizing, resampling, etc..
-Make sure you have your tv set to display the 360 video as is, ie: your tv doesn't try to stretch the image to fit the screen.

Last but not least, if you have a friend with a hi-def tv with hdmi, take your 360 over there and see if you can reproduce the same thing.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-07, 11:17 AM   #11
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

that HDTV is 1080p (1920x1080), this is simply the effect of upscaling 720p to higher resolution
Old 11-30-07, 11:33 PM   #12
Lyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
that HDTV is 1080p (1920x1080), this is simply the effect of upscaling 720p to higher resolution
It shouldn't look that bad though, I'm quite sure there is something wrong in the mix. If you look at the big photo you'll see where the upsampling problems are, the text shown in the photo above arn't it.

Mine looks like this (the small version)

click the link to get the ~3.5meg version
http://members.shaw.ca/lyme/004.JPG

note: this is not a screenshot, this is a DSLR photo of my 42".
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote