Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-02-07, 01:20 PM   #1
shteren

Default Problems with legacy driver on ubuntu gutsy

i had the legay driver install from the *.run file i donwloaded from the site and it was working perfectly, the restricted driver module package was not installed.

then we switched the network in our home to wireless, so i had to install the restricted back for the wireless driver, now the nvidia driver doesn't work.

i tried to do what it sais in this thread http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72490
for the work around, so i won't have to uninstall the restricted package, but it still doesn't work.

this is the message i get from xserver when trying to run it:
NVIDIA: could not open the device file /dev/nvidiactl (No such file or directory).

on another computer i have install gutsy also and there i could install the nvidia driver without removing the restricted module, it just worked without having to change anything.

any idea what to do?
shteren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-07, 06:37 AM   #2
shteren

Default Re: Problems with legacy driver on ubuntu gutsy

ok, i did try to remove the restricted modules and it still shows the same error. plus when i opne the nvidia-settings it shows only one line on the left, it used to show like 30...

so it has nothing to do with the restrictd modules, does anyone know what to do with this error?
shteren is offline   Reply With Quote