Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-18-03, 06:46 AM   #1
Tommi

Default What is segmentation fault?

Yo!

What is segmentation fault?

I tried to install glibc latest update for my Linux redhat 9.0 but when I installed I noticed that it was my worst move I ever have done with any computer.

After the installation the Linux was totally destroyed. It was like somebody has dropped an E- bomb. Absolutely nothing was possible to do after that. I tried to uninstall the glibc but I allways got an answer: " segmentation fault"

After that all commands gave me same answer : " segmentation fault" " segmentation fault" " segmentation fault".

I tried to reboot computer but linux could not boot : reinstallation.

It gave me some some warnings while installing the glibc but I don't remember it.

Please advice.

-Tommi

Last edited by Tommi; 04-18-03 at 06:59 AM.
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-03, 02:51 AM   #2
Kiamu

segfault:

http://cs-www.bu.edu/help/unix/segmentation_fault.html

the glibc is one of the most important libs in linux. if you make any errors compiling and installing it, you will be in deep trouble. don't know what went wrong, but the glibc does not like it, if you compile it with any optimisation flags turned on (CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS).
Kiamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-03, 12:09 PM   #3
briansladecek

Quote:
Originally posted by Kiamu
segfault:

http://cs-www.bu.edu/help/unix/segmentation_fault.html

the glibc is one of the most important libs in linux. if you make any errors compiling and installing it, you will be in deep trouble. don't know what went wrong, but the glibc does not like it, if you compile it with any optimisation flags turned on (CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS).
Howdy,

I think Tommi is following the advice from posts on this forum and many others, concerning the glibc problems with Redhat 9. I know I solved the problem by updating my glibc with the RPM's found on one of the Redhat 9 update mirrors.

* I guess he was building it from source instead of using the regular RPM update. In that case, your advice about optimization flags and glibc is well taken.

The funny thing about Redhat RPM's (in the case, specifically, about the glibc libraries), is that they provide (for Intel procs) an i686 update and and i386 update. I have no clue what "-march=" the stock glibc libraries were built against. But, when I tried to update with the i686 glibc RPM (cause my kernel and other libraries were built as such), it failed because the glibc i686 common libraries were not found.

Well, Redhat does not provide the glibc common libraries for i686. However, in the i386 update directory, there are the development, common, and several other glibc RPM dependency files there. I just install those updates and it works fine.

Anyone know more about the stock glibc libraries Redhat provides for an i686 or above host system? I can only assume they use a stock i386 glibc even though the rest of your libraries can be optimized for your higher instruction set host system. So, why do they provide an i686 glibc update and not include the common libraries to work with that RPM? any ideas?

thanks,

Brian Sladecek
briansladecek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-03, 03:11 PM   #4
Tommi

BTW is there any sense to update glibc at all?

Is there some other actions I should do? Do I have to recompile all programs to fit for this new glibc? At least it may change the name of some glibc files when new library is installed?

-Tommi
Old 04-28-03, 05:48 PM   #5
briansladecek

Quote:
Originally posted by Tommi
BTW is there any sense to update glibc at all?

Is there some other actions I should do? Do I have to recompile all programs to fit for this new glibc? At least it may change the name of some glibc files when new library is installed?

-Tommi
There's nothing wrong, persay, with the stock glibc that comes with Redhat 9. However, as new releases come out, often, (as in the case here), older apps will break sometimes...and, unless you have those specific problems in those *rare* circumstances, then I would say...no, don't update.

thanks,

Brian Sladecek
briansladecek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-03, 09:25 AM   #6
erwos

Never ever upgrade your glibc from anything other than an official RedHat RPM. There's no reason to do otherwise.

Now, RedHat's glibc (2.3) has worked fine for me. Sometimes, you'll need to preface a command with LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 so it'll use the old threading model, but that's hardly the worst thing in the world.

The only program that I've found which absolutely requires that preface is SimCity 3000 Unlimited.

For the record, a seg fault (aka, a core dump) usually occurs when your program attempts to access memory which it doesn't "own". If you screw up binary compatibility with a bad version of glibc, I would certainly expect to see lots and lots of seg faults.

-Erwos
erwos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-03, 12:33 PM   #7
Tommi

My glibc update for mine redhat 9.0 was *genuine* redhat update from theirs pages.

Well...glibc 2 and above should be backwards compatible. I mean *theoretically* speaking and *should* be combatible. :-)

Anyway I am using now redhat 8.0 with latest redhat glibc update and it seems to be stable. Or as stable as a computer can be. :-) I am using nvidias drivers, you know. :-)

-Tommi