Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-03-07, 07:04 PM   #1
el_itur

Default screen tuns off with latest stable driver

Hi all.
Some background. Today I took my computer to the service to change the cpu cooler, It's a fresh gutsy install with a fx5200 which was using the latest stable driver (100.14.19) from ubuntu's repositories.
The thing is that when I came back to my home X not just won't start anymore but the screen turns off, like when the machine is shutdown, I can't hear gdm starting not switch to TTY (ctrl+alt+Fn) or restart the server.

The xorg's log doesn't show any error it just tells that glx was loaded properly.

How can I debug this?

I think ubuntu has the same package than nvidia's official driver. If it helps in anyway I will try using yours instead but I don't think how it would do anything different.

Well, if you have any hint just let me now.

Thanks in advance.
el_itur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-07, 04:22 AM   #2
pe1chl

Default Re: screen tuns off with latest stable driver

Look in /var/log for the X logfile and see if it has any errors or problems.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-07, 08:03 PM   #3
el_itur

No errors, a couple of warnings though. Log attached
Attached Files
File Type: log Xorg.0.log (19.9 KB, 121 views)
Old 12-05-07, 12:30 PM   #4
pe1chl

Apparently it crashes when Loading extension NV-GLX.
I would guess there is some inconsistent collection of different versions on the system.
Maybe it is best to install the official driver instead of the Ubuntu package.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-07, 12:34 PM   #5
el_itur

Well this is a brand new installation of gutsy. I have this for a couple of weeks and I've only installed nvidia-glx-new, which is the default in gutsy.
I don't understand how would there be a inconsistency of versions.
Will try installing the official driver and came back to tell you.
Old 12-05-07, 01:16 PM   #6
el_itur

Well man, now I've done it. I'm on vesa now. With the official driver I get the same issue, It crashes on the same place (loading nv_glx) but there is one little difference: now i can't work with nv, nv module doesn't mount and now I'm on vesa. Which is driving me crazy.

nvidia-bug-report attached
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (94.2 KB, 95 views)
Old 12-19-07, 07:27 PM   #7
el_itur

I've found this thread
The problem seems to be the same, at least the symptoms. But the system and the driver version is not so it would be nice if you can give me any hint.
I'm fearing that this is some kind of hardware problem but I have no other machine to test it.
Old 12-20-07, 04:40 PM   #8
coec

Isn't NV the open source driver? If you're using a 'real' Nvidia driver the driver module will be called nvidia.ko.

Also, does your xorg.conf refer to the driver as nv or nvidia? If it isn't nvidia, it isn't the real Nvidia driver.

CC
coec is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-07, 06:34 PM   #9
dahveed3

His point was he tried switching to nv and that didn't work either. He is forced to use the Vesa driver. He's just trying to get his X back up and running.

Making sure that nvidia-installer --uninstall has been run and from a non-X VT uninstalling and reinstalling xorg (the whole set of stuff) and mesa should get the open source nv to work again.

Then perhaps try an older NVidia driver 100.14.09 has been reported working for some that had trouble with newer releases. It had its own bugs which have been fixed in later versions, but if X won't work on your system with the later releases then at least it's a way of getting your 3D stuff back.

I have a situation now on a new Debian Lenny install where all seems fine, including openGL screensavers and all the logs, but if I run glxgears or any 3D game then X freezes. That was happening with the beta, and the same happens with today's new 169.07 release. The 3D stuff will start, and quickly freeze X. No keyboard responses, so I must reset the computer.

A separate issue, perhaps. I'll try and get a log file bug report on it, but usually this kind of thing is tough since it isn't logging anything if the system is frozen. I don't dare attempt to install composite stuff.

It's possible I may just substitute OpenSUSE 10.3 again, even though I was in the Debian mood, since I had no trouble with the newer drivers on that distro.
Old 12-21-07, 04:48 PM   #10
el_itur

I've tried with the driver prior to 100.49.09 and the issue is the same, the log looks almost identical.

I have been able to get nv to work again though.
I will try to get my card to another computer to see if the problem repeats.

Thanks for the help, anyway.
Old 12-22-07, 12:52 AM   #11
dahveed3

Yeah, it's tough going when it's driver problems. I fully reinstalled Debian and tried going with their "Debian Way" 100.14.19-1 Sid driver on Lenny. I figured it was worth a shot.

Same problem, at least the one I have with glxgears freezing and any openGL game freezing. Got to reset the computer as no keyboard or mouse actions take.

The driver is fully functional in all but one other way. The nvidia-xconfig is not functional. It segfaults. But nvidia-settings works perfectly and I manually added that Load "glx" to the modules section of xorg.conf so the settings are identical to what nvidia-xconfig would do. I've got nvidia as the driver and all the info lists all the usual NVidia stuff for OpenGL, glx, etc in glxinfo and nvidia-settings.

Resource intensive games do run, just not heavy OpenGL games. All my OpenGL screensavers run fine too. I made sure to install nvidia-glx-dev as well, so all the mesa gl stuff is replaced by the NVidia files.

It doesn't seem to make a difference which driver I use at the moment, as the beta and the final release froze just as well as this older official release most distro's are still using.

No clue here, and no possiblility of doing a proper log report as nothing can be created when the entire system is frozen. I've got the xserver-xorg 1.4 (xorg 7.3) installed as it was required and installed automatically when I did the aptitude install -t unstable thing with the nvidia-glx installation. I thought that might help but it didn't.

I'll wait a bit and watch the bug reports regarding the nvidia-graphics-drivers on the Debian web site. Folks are reporting stuff like this so hopefully something will improve, even though the maintainer actually responded with what would you have him do, as he just packages up the driver provided by NVidia and if it has problems there really isn't much that can be done.

I wonder why all these drivers worked a month or so ago on Debian and still work on OpenSUSE? Some change to what's in Debian must have led to this.

I wonder if it's just how my PNY GeForce 6600GT AGP reacts to things. I had a second one of it going fine a while back but have been using my Gigabyte version of the same thing recently. I switched to this card so I could test it as I had never unpacked this one. It works in Windows Vista fine so I don't think it's defective. I've got 2 of these PNY's and 1 Gigabyte.

Haven't a clue, but I'll stick around in Debian a while and then if there's no change I'll wipe it and install OpenSUSE. Probably what's going to force my hand is what happens when Debian gets the ccsm manager into Lenny and I install Compiz Fusion. That's the only piece missing in Lenny right now. If that gives me trouble, which it rarely has in the past, then I'll jump ship. I kind of depend on that cube and am used to all the pretty effects.

I could install from Shame again, but if it's all here in Debian then that's the way to go. He'll be removing the stable Lenny repo as soon as all the parts get into Lenny anyway. We're just about there.

Edit -
Hmm! Compiz Fusion works perfectly with the Debian official Lenny version of it. I snagged ccsm (compizconfig-settings-manager) from Sid since I have that available from using it for NVidia's driver (made an apt.conf with default to testing).

I just started it with:

export __GL_YIELD="NOTHING"
compiz --replace --sm-disable --ignore-desktop-hints ccp &

It used the kde-window-decorator and kconfig for the configuration, but then I opened ccsm and changed it to flat-file and picked from the whole range of things (except 3d windows and some other newer stuff that's in git). I didn't bother with --no-libgl-fallback since that's only needed with the newer driver and I'm using Debian's 100.14.19-1 driver.

Gosh. If it can work fine with Compiz Fusion I wonder why in the world it has a problem with glxgears and 3d games?

Ah well, hope the problem gets fixed somehow or someone figures out how we can fix it. I'm quite surprised at Compiz Fusion working terrific.
Old 12-22-07, 06:40 AM   #12
el_itur

in response to dahveed3. I just wanted to state that may be we are talking about different problems here.
My machine freezes when X loads glx module. That is, before gdm appears. So I can't really do anything on my box.
The boot process went fine until its asked to load glx then the system just freezes and the screen turns off. It's like the whole computer has went off. I can't turn to TTY or anything, jst have to hard reboot. Regardless which driver I use or if I have or not compiz enbled. It always hangs.

Any other driver but nvidia works, that's what makes me wonder if it really is a hardware problem.
I haven't figured out how to debug this though.