Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-18-03, 11:34 AM   #1
Stephen Nelson

Unhappy Lockup on logout -- RH9

Hello all...

I've got an MSI GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X running on Red Hat 9. I bought it for the video out functionality, which works really well. However, every time I try to log out of an X session, the machine hangs. It also hangs whenever I try to switch to a virtual TTY... I've seen that part listed as a known problem.

Another possible clue to what's happening is the fact that the system hangs happen only after a reboot. In other words, if I boot up under the "nv" driver, then edit the config file to use "nvidia" instead, then restart my X session (log out and in again), I can stop and start to my heart's content. After I reboot, the X server starts up fine for the first session, but locks up the first time I try to log out or reboot.

I'm using an Asus P2B-DS motherboard, which is a dual-P3 board with the Intel 440BX AGP chipset. I'll attach my config file. (Commenting out my configuration for the TwinView TV-out doesn't seem to change anything.) I don't see any errors in the X logs. I've tried disabling AGP, which doesn't solve the problem.

I'm just down the street from the NVidia Santa Clara offices, and I wouldn't mind lending out my machine for a little while if it would help.

Would returning to an earlier version of the drivers help me?
Attached Files
File Type: txt xf86config.txt (3.4 KB, 167 views)
Stephen Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-03, 04:22 PM   #2
Andy Mecham
l33t master

Ah, interesting. I'll give that a try.

--andy
Old 04-20-03, 03:03 PM   #3
hpkevertje

Hi,

Same problem here. GeForce Ti4 4200 with AGP 8X on an ABIT BD7II mainboard (no raid) with Intel P4 2Ghz processor. When I use the latest nvidia drivers on RH9, my system locks up when I log out, and I need to reboot. I've got the same problem with and without twinview. Let me know if you need anything (config or log files).

Hans

Last edited by hpkevertje; 04-21-03 at 05:44 AM.
hpkevertje is offline   Reply With Quote