Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-18-03, 12:10 PM   #1
Jackattack

Unhappy In Need of linux help

In trying to position myself as far away from microsoft as possible i downloaded linux about 6 months ago. I wasnt using it since it was on my old slow computer and i moved it to the one im on now.

Lets get to my problem. It really a driver problem, but will apply to almost everything. After download and installing nvidia's new driver in shell loged in as root it says i need to modify my config file, you know which one.

I try but i have no luck it says i can't save it.

Am i using a wrong text editor.

Im in X when im doing it is that a problem.

And if so how do i get out of X. Then when i get out how do i get back in.

I've tried looking in google groups but it really didnt help me, but it is where i got the idea that i need to get out of x. Basicly if some one could list or make detailed instruction to help me I would be forever greatful. I cant seem to change anything I can't do anything, I'm really lost and really need some help. Thank you so much to who ever helps me. And even if you can't contribute the whole thing, anything will do.

I'm sorry i can't attach anything right now. I will do so in another post, Windows doesnt recconize linux files.
Jackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-03, 12:59 PM   #2
--Rikki--

Send a message via ICQ to --Rikki-- Send a message via AIM to --Rikki-- Send a message via Yahoo to --Rikki--

To change the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file you will need to be logged in as a root.

Any text editor will work providing you are root.

to get out of X

from a regular shell konsole / xterm type 'su' and press enter (no quotes)

then enter your root password and press enter

and type 'telinit 3' and press enter (again no quotes)

you will then be prompted with a Text based login. login to this as root and use the root password

from this line type

'vi /etc/X11/XF86Config-4' (no quotes)

when the file loads press the insert button on the keyboard

using the arrow keys navigate the file and make any changes you need to make

(Change the drive line from Driver "nv" to Driver "nvidia" remove the LoadModule "dri" and LoadModule "GLcore" add the line LoadModule "glx" in place of one of the two you just removed)

when you are happy with the changes you want have made Press Ctrl + C and let go of them.

Then Hold down Shift and Press Z twice (Save and Exit)

then type telinit 5 and hope X loads properly. if not reset your machine and see if X loads
Old 04-18-03, 02:35 PM   #3
Jackattack

Ok your information was great, I changed the file and everything was happy or so I thought.

I get back into X and everything seems to be working not right but atleast working. I go into the control panel and check out the video setting, I probely shouldn't have but I wasnt sure what to do. How do I get my resolution to be greater. How do I make sure the computer is using 4.1."something" or 3.6."something" Becuase the new drivers need 4.1"something" don't they. How do i know it is using the real video card drive and not the generic one it was. I tried ot upload my config file but i couldnt Is there anyting else you could help me with.
Jackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-03, 06:37 PM   #4
zovex

Default Changing resolution

To change your resolution you need to edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file again

in the section that looks like

SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection

the modes listed are the resolutions that you can use. and you can switch between them with ctrl-alt-keypadplus and ctrl-alt-keypadminus
zovex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-03, 05:39 AM   #5
--Rikki--

Send a message via ICQ to --Rikki-- Send a message via AIM to --Rikki-- Send a message via Yahoo to --Rikki--

if you change the nv driver to nvidia then it will be using the nvidia rather than generic

to test it open a GLX program such as tuxracer