Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-08-07, 11:41 AM   #1
nj679

Unhappy 7900GS and Ubuntu 7.10: nvidia driver does not work

I have tried to install nvidia driver 100.14.19 in my Ubuntu 7.10 box (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.19-pkg1.run downloaded from nvidia.com)

The installation is completed correctly but when I reboot my PC the system seems to have problem loading the new driver: no specific error message but after displaying for 2 o 3 time the system console with some "boot messages" Ubuntu starts with nvidia proprietary driver disabled, displaying the card as a generic VESA.

Same thing if I try to enable the proprietary driver from Menu/Administration/Screens and Graphics, when I push the "TEST" button the test fails and the generic VESA drivers is reloaded.

I also tried to install the beta driver NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.04-pkg1.run, same result.

I cannot use any 3D effect on my PC (System/Preference/Appearence/Visual Effect), the system asks me to enable the "accelerated driver" which fails in the same way explained above.

Is there anyone that can help me?

Thanks, Regards
Nicola
nj679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-07, 01:10 PM   #2
nj679

Smile Re: 7900GS and Ubuntu 7.10: nvidia driver does not work

It's me again.

I have solved my problem (with the help of nvidia support)

Using the command /etc/init.d/gdm start The x-server was not starting, so it was not possible to get any valid information using nvidia-bug-report.sh

The suggestion was to use the startx command instead, I could finally see what the problem was, I got the error message: "Your card does not have the necessary power cable attached, X will not start unless this is rectified" Then it was suggesting as alternative the use of parameter NoPowerConnectionCheck.

The cable was unplugged when I replaced the card's fan with a passive cooler. I reattached the cable and everything was OK.

The suggestion to use the startx command was very usefull. Hope it can help you as well.

Ciao
Nicola
nj679 is offline   Reply With Quote