Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-24-07, 07:13 AM   #1
DarkT

Default Using an HDTV

Hello,

I want to buy an HDTV and use it with my PC.
My graphics card is an 8600GTS with dual DVI output.
I have heard that there are converters from DVI to HDMI.
So will connecting my PC's DVI to that converter and then that converter's HDMI to the HDTV's HDMI work at full resolution?

I'm on Ubuntu GNU/Linux.

Thanks.
DarkT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-07, 07:50 AM   #2
pe1chl

Default Re: Using an HDTV

It will depend on the type of TV, the quirks in the nvidia driver, and your persistence.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-07, 07:57 AM   #3
DarkT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pe1chl
It will depend on the type of TV, the quirks in the nvidia driver, and your persistence.
Would you care to elaborate?
'type of TV' <- what types are there?

as long as the end result is definite to work, I don't care how much time I spend on trying to get it to work. So I would appreciate if it is possible to solve at all...
Old 11-24-07, 09:40 AM   #4
epsilon72
Gentoo User

Some HDTV's have overscan, which is something you don't want for computer use. Be sure to read reviews and tech specs of the tv's you are looking at so you get one that has zero overscan. Reviews also might say whether or not the tv has handshake problems with PC's or anything.

And yes, you can get a dvi to hdmi cable for fairly cheap from places like monoprice.com. You could also look for a display that has a DVI input as well as HDMI.
epsilon72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-07, 10:12 AM   #5
pe1chl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkT
Would you care to elaborate?
'type of TV' <- what types are there?
Apparently this is not correct English?
I mean the manufacturer and the variety of TV within that manufacturer's range.
Old 11-24-07, 10:53 AM   #6
williammanda

I currently have two HTPC systems ubuntu based. I don't need a DVI / HDMI convertor. I simply use a cable that has a DVI connector on one end and HDMI on the other end. You will have a harder time finding a tv with the DVI connection. The two system setups are as follows:

Core 2 Duo 6400
2 GB ram
Geforce 7300 LE
Westinghouse W4207 42" 720p Flat-Panel LCD monitor
Resolution: native - 1366*768, actual setting - 1360*765

AMD Dual Core 4200
2 GB ram
Geforce 7300 GT
LG 42LC7D 42" 720p Flat-Panel LCD HDTV
Resolution: native - 1366*768, actual setting - 1360*765

The video resolution was automatically detected and setup. I purchased both LCD's at Best Buy. Note that the Westinghouse unit is just a monitor but the LG unit is a tv with a tuner. I really don't need the tuner since that is being provided by the tuner card in the pc.

Also note that not all tv manufacturers HDMI is supported the same way. I purchased several tvs and found this out the hard way. One of the tv's was a Vizio and they only support 640 * 480 resolution (I had to go through three levels of tech support to find this out). So I made life easier by going to Best Buy with my computer and tested several tvs, which I found several that did work. I recorded a HD action program like a sports event to test for abnormal video and viewed the desktop as well.

Hope this helps!
Thanks
williammanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-07, 02:23 PM   #7
DarkT

Nice, thanks for the information.

How about Philips TVs? Are they a trustable band?
Old 11-24-07, 02:42 PM   #8
williammanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkT
Nice, thanks for the information.

How about Philips TVs? Are they a trustable band?
I can't answer for Philips but I can tell you that LG brand HDTV's will be the best choice. Apparrently LG makes most of the lcd screens used by the other brands.

Also see private message.
Thanks
williammanda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-07, 03:46 PM   #9
Thunderbird

Philips is a great brand and it is of higher quality than LG. Both use the same LCD panels though as those are made by their joint-venture LG.Philips.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-07, 04:14 PM   #10
epsilon72
Gentoo User

I also have a Westinghouse, but it's a LVM-42w2 1080p display (no tuner). It has two DVI connections (+ a host of other high-def connections), and I use one for my PC. It works great as a computer monitor (albeit a very large one). Its compatible with a good deal of resolutions.
epsilon72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-07, 03:50 AM   #11
pe1chl

For the issue discussed in this thread it is unimportant which manufacturer makes the LCD panel used inside the TV. I don't know if it is still true but some years ago Philips used Sharp panels in their high-end models, not their own LG/Philips panels. (I have a Philips 32PF9986 which has a Sharp LCD)

What is relevant is the circuitry around the DVI or HDMI interface that you want to use. What capabilities does it have and what EDID info does it send.
Nvidia try to extract information from the EDID that is not really there, and when that fails they declare the TV or panel "quirky". Many examples of that in this forum.
In this case there are two bugs that you might likely encounter:
1. the Nvidia driver determines that the "native resolution" of your TV is e.g. 640x480 where your tv is really 1920x1080, and from there on will refuse any modes higher than that resolution as "invalid". The logic of retrieving "native resolution" from the EDID is based on an invalid assumption.
2. in other cases the driver sees the correct mode, but when it is interlaced (e.g. 1080i) it gets confused about the number of lines. e.g. it decides that your 1080i mode has only 540 lines, and uses only half the picture. Or it calculates that the vertical frequency is out of range because it arrives at 120Hz instead of 60.

Those really are issues in the driver, although replies by Nvidia people usually refer to "quirks in the EDID", "quirky panel", etc. Connect another brand of videocard and it works fine.
Fortunately there are a couple of flags that you can set in the driver to work around those bugs in the EDID detection, but as you can see when reading other threads about this topic, some users never get a correct picture on their TV.

Sorry, I don't have a table of "works ok/does not work ok" HDTV types.
Old 11-25-07, 06:05 PM   #12
ibedonc

my Samsung DLP 4667w , I have not found a way to correct the picture to match. I did adjust mythtv to fix
ibedonc is offline   Reply With Quote