Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-10-07, 05:55 PM   #13
Lyme

Default Re: My HTPC Project (Worklog)

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
Both tuner cards I've had this weekend are QAM tuner cards. It's just Comcast encrypts the HD channels like a witch (with a B) so I can't decrypt them unless I have a cable box.
All cable networks in the USA have been forced by legislation to offer cablecard to do what you want, but they will make you jump through ten billion hoops.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-07, 07:51 PM   #14
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Ok guys. Here is the next step to my project, research wise. What is the best way to backup your DVDs and be able to select them from Vista MCE? I've been trying to find out what video formats MCE will play but I can't find anything. I've played around with DVDShrink but it only converts DVDs into TS folders or an ISO image. That definitly won't work.

Basically, I want to be able to go into MCE, go to Videos and be able to pick any DVD (on HDD of course) for playback. Also, if it's possible, choose a movie from a list of movie posters; similar to the Movie Guide for TV on MCE.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-07, 03:31 PM   #15
six_storm

Alright boy and girls, I've been playing around with my no product key version of Vista Ultimate x64 MCE and a freeware program called "MyMovies". Looks like a great little program and for sure, it's very very nice for free. HOWEVER, I've had one heck of a problem trying to copy my DVDs over to hard drive. For some reason, it quits trying to rip the DVD automatically, giving out an error. What gives? Oh well, I will either look into a bit more over the weekend or just find something else to work with.
Old 12-13-07, 05:02 PM   #16
six_storm

Anybody? Here's a small update:

I'm looking to do some testing with Linux media center apps such as Mythbuntu and LinuxMCE while I don't have all of my required parts. Once I get a case the whole PC will finally be fully functional, but with only a 20GB hard drive lol. Not a lot of room to do much. I figured I would give Linux alternatives a chance to see what it can really do.
Old 12-13-07, 05:33 PM   #17
einstein_314
w00t!!

MyMovies 2 is a great add-in for MCE. I have it and it works marvelously.

As for ripping the DVD's, do you have hard drive space concerns? And how many movies can you see there being on there? Because if you just rip them into their VIDEO_TS folders (using DVD Decryptor for instance), MyMovies will work with that and you'll just be able to pick the movie and it will play. It also works if you rip them to an .iso. But note that although it works, it really slows MyMovies down.

What are you using to rip the dvds? I've never had one fail using DVD Decryptor. Mind you I'm running Vista Ultimate x86 on my HTPC....so maybe that's why.
Logitech Z-5300 Speakers || Sennheiser HD555's || Logitech G7 || Logitech G15 || Windows Vista Ultimate x64
einstein_314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-07, 06:55 PM   #18
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein_314
MyMovies 2 is a great add-in for MCE. I have it and it works marvelously.

As for ripping the DVD's, do you have hard drive space concerns? And how many movies can you see there being on there? Because if you just rip them into their VIDEO_TS folders (using DVD Decryptor for instance), MyMovies will work with that and you'll just be able to pick the movie and it will play. It also works if you rip them to an .iso. But note that although it works, it really slows MyMovies down.

What are you using to rip the dvds? I've never had one fail using DVD Decryptor. Mind you I'm running Vista Ultimate x86 on my HTPC....so maybe that's why.
I won't have hard drive space concerns once I get around to buying a new hard drive. I plan on buying a 250GB and then adding 250GB HDDs at a time. Thanks for the recommendation though. I tried MyMovies for Vista MCE but it never wanted to rip DVDs for me quite right. It always gave me an error and wouldn't rip.
Old 12-27-07, 10:37 AM   #19
six_storm

Well, I just ordered my CoolerMaster Elite case for my HTPC. Next will be a new hard drive, which I'm thinking of ordering that today as well since I have the extra cash. Like I said before, I'm going to try the Linux solutions first since I don't have the extra cash for Vista. Hope to have the case next week and I'll start posting some pics of my project!!!
Old 12-27-07, 03:54 PM   #20
amk21
*BANNED*

Keep the updates coming, I just stumbled upon this thread. I ordered a Hauppuage WinTV-HVR-1800 MC-Kit, its a dagital/analog HDTV tuner, in digital ATSC/QAM, in analog NTSC, it also recieves fm. It supposed to be a much refined better/quality version of the 1600. I ordered it from newegg and should be recieving it on friday, so i will be updating you on the quality of it. I plan to have more simple uses for it then you do, stick it my rig watch and record my analog chnnels that i recieve from comcast(less than 100 channels), but eventually picking up an antenna and getting some ota loving. Just remember its pci-express, so keep that in mind. It also comes with the official mce remote(black updated version), and is vista certified, not only by Hauppauge, but also by my cousun Jethro(his parents obviously hated with the name they gave him).
amk21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-07, 04:28 PM   #21
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk21
Keep the updates coming, I just stumbled upon this thread. I ordered a Hauppuage WinTV-HVR-1800 MC-Kit, its a dagital/analog HDTV tuner, in digital ATSC/QAM, in analog NTSC, it also recieves fm. It supposed to be a much refined better/quality version of the 1600. I ordered it from newegg and should be recieving it on friday, so i will be updating you on the quality of it. I plan to have more simple uses for it then you do, stick it my rig watch and record my analog chnnels that i recieve from comcast(less than 100 channels), but eventually picking up an antenna and getting some ota loving. Just remember its pci-express, so keep that in mind. It also comes with the official mce remote(black updated version), and is vista certified, not only by Hauppauge, but also by my cousun Jethro(his parents obviously hated with the name they gave him).
Thanks for reading! It helps when people build PCs and make detailed worklogs since it helps people in the future when they build things. Someone over at [H] has a worklog and it answered a few questions about my HTPC just from reading what software the guy used. I'll keep everything as detailed as possible so keep checking for updates.
Old 01-01-08, 04:15 PM   #22
six_storm

I'll be getting my Coolermaster case on Thursday, so look out for pics!
Old 01-01-08, 05:25 PM   #23
amk21
*BANNED*

Which coolermaster are you thinking about getting, I've been eyeing up to new cosmos?
amk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-08, 06:05 PM   #24
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk21
Which coolermaster are you thinking about getting, I've been eyeing up to new cosmos?
I got the cosmos case, and I love it.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote