Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-02-08, 12:14 PM   #25
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: My HTPC Project (Worklog)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk21
Which coolermaster are you thinking about getting, I've been eyeing up to new cosmos?
I actually bought the Coolermaster Elite 330 case last week. I just needed a simple good looking case for right now.

I just bought a 250GB Western Digital Caviar hard drive for about $75, should be here on Thursday. I'm getting my case tomorrow so I'll be taking/posting up pictures tomorrow as well! Keep an eye out . . .
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-08, 03:37 PM   #26
six_storm

Alright, I got a few pictures for you guys. I'll be editing this post just for installation detailing purposes . This is all I have for right now and I have a dinner to head to later so enjoy for now.

Here is my CoolerMaster Elite 330 case. It cost $44 after shipping from ZipZoomFly.com. Overall, this is an ok case. Why do I say just ok? This is CoolerMaster's cheapest case and the cheapness does show through just a little bit on a few parts. The case looks really good and everything fits pretty darn good. Just for a side note, this case only comes with one 120MM fan in the back and a vent on the side. I haven't put the sides back on the case yet so I'm not sure if everything will fit correctly with the CPU HSF.

First I installed motherboard spacers and my Gigabyte motherboard (see page 1 for specs). Compared to my other CoolerMaster 690 case, this Gigabyte board fit a little better. I had to apply a little pressure to get the spacers to align with the screw holes but not a lot. Also, I had to push down on the board a tad to get the ports to fit through the I/O shield. Nothing was pushed beyond its limits.

This is more of a personal complaint than anything. The placement of the P4 power connector on this motherboard is real bad in a standard ATX case and my Rosewill PSU has both a 4-pin and 8-pin P4 connector. It really just makes it a little more difficult to hide cables and improve airflow. Look how close the board and the PSU are along with the P4 connection.

As I had mentioned that this case was a little cheap in quality, the front panel wires are pretty fun to play with. This wasn't anything that a small zip tie wouldn't fix .

After the PSU and all of the motherboard connections were installed/done, I installed my MSI 8600GT, Visiontek 650 HD TV Tuner, 20GB IDE Hard Drive and DVD-ROM drive. All connections were made to the drives and away I went! I know a 20GB IDE hard drive is old school but I just wanted to try some free alternatives before I bought a copy of Vista.

My first test was Mythbuntu. I'm pretty familiar with Ubuntu but I've never dealt with MythTV before. Installation was simple and easy. However, I forgot all about doing some research on my TV tuner card and knowing if there were any Linux drivers available for them! I looked for about 30 minutes this afternoon and low and behold, NO DRIVERS. I guess Linux is out of the question for my build. I would just use Linux, work through the kinks and just deal with it but really, I'd rather just buy a copy of Vista and everything just be done with. And if I really wanted to go with Linux, I would have just bought parts I know that would've played nice. I've done some testing with Vista and everything has worked out really well so I'm going with it.

So what's next? I've got a 250GB SATA hard drive on the way (it's supposed to be tomorrow but ZZF is still processing my order), a DVD burner and one of these days, I'll get a copy of Vista Home Premium and a MCE remote.

Well, that's all I have for right now. I will post more updates later!
Old 01-03-08, 05:40 PM   #27
six_storm

Ive updated the post above. Keep an eye out for more updates.
Old 01-03-08, 05:48 PM   #28
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

That's a pretty nifty case.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-08, 06:43 PM   #29
six_storm

Thanks crainger! I'm having some problems with ZZF, my hard drive has been "processing" for a little over 24 hours. That's very unusual. I've tried calling customer service to only be put on hold. Everything I've ever ordered from them has processed fast but not this time. If it hasn't went through tomorrow morning, I'm going to cancel and order from Newegg.
Old 01-03-08, 11:19 PM   #30
stncttr908

Send a message via AIM to stncttr908

If it ships out of TN you'll have it next day.

For HTPCs I generally like desktop style cases or SFF, but nice build so far.
PC - | Core i7-2600K @ stock | Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 | 4GB Patriot Sector 5 DDR3 | Galaxy GTX 460 1GB @ stock | Corsair Force 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200RPM | 320GB Seagate 7200.10 | 2x Seagate 500GB USB 2.0 | Lite-On 20x SATA DVD+RW | Silverstone TJ-09 | Corsair 620W PSU | Logitech Z-5500s | Sennheiser HD-570 headphones | Samsung 2494LW |

Laptop - | Dell Inspiron 1420 | C2D T7300 (2.0GHz, 4MB cache) | 2GB DDR2-667 | 160GB 7200RPM HDD | DVD +/- RW | 14.1" WXGA+ (1440x900) | Broadcom 802.11g | NVIDIA 8400M GS 128MB |
stncttr908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-08, 11:28 PM   #31
CaptNKILL
CUBE

I have 2 of those cases. If my mail in rebates go through I'll get them for $10 a piece.

My only complaint is that the screen portion doesn't wrap around the bottom of the front panel, so there is a jagged metal screen sticking out the easily grabs on to any kind of carpet and snags skin pretty easily. Its really a glaring problem, to the point that I was surprised to see it on both cases. I just put some tape over it as a temporary fix but it'd take some pretty heavy modding to completely fix it. The bottom screen panel is removable though so I guess it can just be popped off if it becomes too much of an annoyance.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-08, 09:51 AM   #32
six_storm

Thanks guys for the comments. Since finding drivers is nearly impossible, I'm just going to use the PC for dabbling with Linux. ZZF STILL hasn't finished processing my order so I'm going to try calling first thing or else I'm going to order it from Newegg. I dunno what's going on with ZZF, it never takes this long to process my order.

Old 01-04-08, 11:08 AM   #33
six_storm

Just got off the phone with ZZF and just wow . . . I think I just talked to one of the worst customer service reps ever. Not only did she sound like she didn't care but she sounded depressed. I asked about my order and she said that there would be a shipping number out later tonight (it shipped out this morning). I also asked to see if I could get my money back on 2-day shipping. After waiting for 5 minutes, she came back to say that there is a 2 day processing time so the order was still on time. I explained to her that I've ordered from them numerous times and have never changed my billing/shipping information on their website so there should not be any delays. She just stayed silent and I just said thanks and hung up.

Well, I guess if I want something to be delivered on time from now on, I'll just have to pay extra at NewEgg (stupid sales tax) and get it in 3 days guaranteed. Looks like I won't be getting my hard drive until Monday or Tuesday.
Old 01-05-08, 09:03 PM   #34
six_storm

I got my hard drive and DVD-burner coming Tuesday. I also thought about going ahead and buying a copy of Vista OEM so that it will be here on Tuesday as well. More pics will surface Tuesday night!!!
Old 01-06-08, 02:56 PM   #35
six_storm

Just ordered my last computer purchase for quite a while (see my "fasting" thread in MO) but I ordered a copy of Vista HP. Should come Tuesday with my other parts!
Old 01-06-08, 09:31 PM   #36
six_storm

Alright guys, I have a question. When setting up a TV signal in Vista MCE, it asks you to press '0' on your remote/IR blaster via STB. Is there any way to bypass this? I have a remote that came with my ATI/Visiontek TV tuner card and I have a remote for my cable STB, but I can't go any further in the setup process. Can anyone shed some light on the situation?