Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-13-08, 12:52 AM   #61
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Re: My HTPC Project (Worklog)

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
No, they are VOB files. Would changing it over to MPEG2 really make any difference in quality?
VOB is MPEG2, so quality would be the same, but if they are with MPEG extension. Then Media Center Extender (360) should find them.
Old 01-13-08, 12:59 AM   #62
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
VOB is MPEG2, so quality would be the same, but if they are with MPEG extension. Then Media Center Extender (360) should find them.
Gotcha. Thanks for the info.

One thing I've noticed to is that the quality of my backed up DVDs aren't as good as playing the DVDs through my 360. When using DVDShrink, I'm guessing that it does a straight up rip and does not upconvert it? Everything on the backed up copy looks real grainy compared to being played straight off the disc.

This project is starting to turn out to be a stinker, probably one of the worst wastes of money I've ever had. I can't watch/record HD channels (f***in Comcast), TV quality isn't what I expected, the music conversion is taking forever to do (I have a lot of music and hardly no time) and now my backed up DVD quality is pretty poor. I'm starting to have second thoughts about making this.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-08, 05:32 AM   #63
Mr Bigman
Strongest Man On Earth

Send a message via AIM to Mr Bigman Send a message via MSN to Mr Bigman Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Bigman

No one really stated what is good for taking the DVD's and turning them into a video file showing a thumbnail view.

I love Vista MCE and offers good contend.

I also love the Gigabyte baords for HTPC's.

So yea what is that one program that will turn DVD's into 1 file i can open with MCE? I thought Handbrake was good or WinDVD recorder 5 but it costs money. and Vista doesn't work with DVD Shrink or Decrypter i think cuz of DRM.

Not sure but who knows.
Three EVGA 285 SLI
Antec 1200
Corsiar 1000 HX Power Supply
2 OCZ SSD Hard Drives
4 wd black edition raid 2 setups for 4TB

Old 01-13-08, 10:04 AM   #64
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bigman
No one really stated what is good for taking the DVD's and turning them into a video file showing a thumbnail view.

I love Vista MCE and offers good contend.

I also love the Gigabyte baords for HTPC's.

So yea what is that one program that will turn DVD's into 1 file i can open with MCE? I thought Handbrake was good or WinDVD recorder 5 but it costs money. and Vista doesn't work with DVD Shrink or Decrypter i think cuz of DRM.

Not sure but who knows.
DVDShrink + MyMovies

I'm still trying to figure out how to get a complete uncompressed 1:1 DVD rip.
Old 01-13-08, 05:25 PM   #65
Am_I_Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
DVDShrink + MyMovies

I'm still trying to figure out how to get a complete uncompressed 1:1 DVD rip.
when you use DVD shrink did you go into preferences and change it from DVD-5 to DVD-9....that should allow everything to be ripped at 100%....granted i've haven't tried to do exactly what you're doing but any dvd i've ever backed up has looked exactly like the original doing it this way...
Am_I_Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-08, 05:47 PM   #66
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Am_I_Evil
when you use DVD shrink did you go into preferences and change it from DVD-5 to DVD-9....that should allow everything to be ripped at 100%....granted i've haven't tried to do exactly what you're doing but any dvd i've ever backed up has looked exactly like the original doing it this way...
Thanks for the info! I'll try it later tonight.
Old 01-13-08, 05:49 PM   #67
mythy
Single Male

You guys are discussing breaking DVD encryption and illegally ripping the movie to a hard drive. It is illegal and that discussion is supposedly not aloud here.

With that said DVD shrink is old and ripit4me+DVD Decrypter will give you a 1:1 copy and then use Xmpeg if you want them in a easier format. Also anyDVD wil rip it to a ISO on your hard drive as well

---Q6600 @3.45 430FSB - P5K Deluxe---
---1066 5-4-4-12 PL6! - 257 GTX OCed---
---ASUS Xonar DX - Dell 2407 24 LCD---
mythy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-08, 06:06 PM   #68
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythy
You guys are discussing breaking DVD encryption and illegally ripping the movie to a hard drive. It is illegal and that discussion is supposedly not aloud here.

With that said DVD shrink is old and ripit4me+DVD Decrypter will give you a 1:1 copy and then use Xmpeg if you want them in a easier format. Also anyDVD wil rip it to a ISO on your hard drive as well
Am I not entitled to backing up a DVD that I legally purchased?

Old 01-13-08, 08:23 PM   #69
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythy

wtf, he isn't downloading his movies off of a private tracker... last I checked he isn't using any mkv files so it is backups from his own dvds which so far is still perfectly legal.
Old 01-14-08, 07:14 AM   #70
Spiny
Spiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORD-eX-Bu
wtf, he isn't downloading his movies off of a private tracker... last I checked he isn't using any mkv files so it is backups from his own dvds which so far is still perfectly legal.
Yep I'd agree. There's nothing wrong with MKV either. It's certainally a better container than MP4 which can't handle AC3 audio streams. Take a look at AutoMKV which will do a DVD rip & encode to xvid, mpeg4 or h264 to several container formats.
Spiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-08, 08:38 AM   #71
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORD-eX-Bu
i started using mkv few months ago, get much smaller file size with better quality.

automkv is great.
Old 01-14-08, 11:51 AM   #72
mullet

I used DVD-FAB & DVD shrink to rip all of my 300+ dvds I have purchased to an uncompressed 1:1 as an ISO file and used daemon tools to mount the ISO. I used Mediaportal instead of the windows version and it worked like a charm and its free.