Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-05-03, 05:17 AM   #1
Tommi

Default Is there any sense to recompile my kernel?

Yes...I was thinking to take a risk and recompile my kernel?

What does it actually make? A totall disaster? A sure way to spoil your installation? Or a handy way to update your OS?

-Tommi
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-03, 05:31 AM   #2
suexec

When you compile your own kernel, you can include only the stuff that you want/use/need and leave the rest out making for a leaner kernel. You can also apply patches from various sources which could address very specific issues you may have.

The kernel is the core part of the operating system which communicates between the hardware and software. It provides for a very low level interface from system software to the hardware. The system software would provide another interface to the userspace software.

After seeing your other post, if you are using a RedHat kernel, it usually has everything compiled as modules which do not get loaded unless needed. If you do not yet know what you are doing, use the stock kernel a while longer until you become more familiar with *nix systems.
suexec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-03, 02:54 AM   #3
briansladecek

Default Re: Is there any sense to recompile my kernel?

Quote:
Originally posted by Tommi
Yes...I was thinking to take a risk and recompile my kernel?

What does it actually make? A totall disaster? A sure way to spoil your installation? Or a handy way to update your OS?

-Tommi
I think "suexec"'s post is sound and wise. But, if you follow my phillosophy, "if it ain't broke, fix it until it is...", you can have all kinds of fun messing up stuff and figuring out why in the process.

* There are real benefits to be gained from installing a recent kernel. I do not know what kernel version you are using, but for one, enabling MTRR's in your kernel will greatly increase your video performance. As most stock kernels for recent distributions have that enabled, you're alright. Of course, there are so many enhancements/bug fixes for various hardware drivers with each kernel release, it can only help (if you install the kernel correctly).

If you live on the bleeding edge (like I do) and want to tinker around with Linux, there is a safe way to modify your kernel *without* harming your original installation.

To do so, follow the methods I outline in the attached file (verbatim).

**** This by no means is an exercise for the unexperienced. But, if you follow these guidelines (and hopefully I didn't miss anything important), you should be safe, and you can enjoy the best part about Linux...trial and error...more trial and error...and lots of learning in between, which is what it's all about.

Have fun. Drop me an email if you have any problems.

thanks,

Brian Sladecek
Attached Files
File Type: txt building-kernel.txt (4.6 KB, 164 views)
briansladecek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-03, 10:20 AM   #4
Tommi

thanks for good reply. I have been upgrading my kernel from readymade rpm's, maybe I should go further now. :-)

-Tommi
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-03, 11:31 AM   #5
briansladecek

Quote:
Originally posted by Tommi
thanks for good reply. I have been upgrading my kernel from readymade rpm's, maybe I should go further now. :-)

-Tommi
Yes sir...I like your style. Just remember...did you ever see that car commercial where that guy is driving and he keeps hearing a voice saying, "go further...further....too far!"

Just email me when you get to the "too far" part.

cya...
briansladecek is offline   Reply With Quote