Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-10-07, 09:48 AM   #25
Destroy

Default Re: Class Action Connect offers lawsuit against Bungie for Halo3's missing pixels

Just playing devils advocate here...

So how far would you all let this go? What if they came out with 400p upscaled? Would it still be no big deal?

I somewhat agree with the lawsuit. Its like saying a car is suppose to come with 255/50-16 tires but it really only came with 225/40-16 tires but its ok cause they perform exactly the same.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-07, 10:18 AM   #26
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Re: Class Action Connect offers lawsuit against Bungie for Halo3's missing pixels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy

So how far would you all let this go? What if they came out with 400p upscaled? Would it still be no big deal?

I somewhat agree with the lawsuit. Its like saying a car is suppose to come with 255/50-16 tires but it really only came with 225/40-16 tires but its ok cause they perform exactly the same.

Quote:
Powerful hardware features 512MB unified memory, custom symmetrical tripe-core CPU and custom 500MHz ATI graphics processor
Every Xbox 360 title supports 720p and 1080i high definition resolution or 480p standard definition resolution
Exclusive games (not included) shatter expectations with advanced customization features, HD graphics, full surround sound and online-enabled gameplay
Vibrant characters display depth of emotion to evoke more dramatic responses, immersing you in the experience
Rip music to the Xbox 360 hard drive and share your latest digital pictures with friends
View progressive-scan DVD movies
Support for up to four wireless game controllers
i'm sorry, but upscaling (stretching) is not the same. Its simply is false advertising, or misleading advertising.

Here is halo3 back of the box.

It should say 720p/1080 provided by upscaling, or something simular.
Old 12-10-07, 10:19 AM   #27
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Not really, those are pretty drastically different tire sizes.

However I do get you point.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-07, 10:25 AM   #28
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?

this game is one of the better looking games out there considering that there are no insane texture popins like mass effect, and it is not all dark colors to cover the edges of objects. The lighting in there was some of the best as well.

So why the hell do we care? Due to the wonders of the xbox hardware, the games can render/scale to any res that the xbox supports, so isn't that pretty close to what the box says?
-"Aqua 2": Water Cooled Intel i7 960, 12 GB DDR3 PC 12800, 3x Intel X-25-M 80 GB SSD RAID 0, SATA 1.5TB WD, EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Supper Clocked Water Cooled, ASUS P6X58D, Corsair 800D w/ Koolance cooling
thor1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-07, 10:26 AM   #29
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
Not really, those are pretty drastically different tire sizes.

However I do get you point.
how would you feel, if you would buy a 5.7 liter v8 mustang, and realize, you have 5.55 liter v8?

note: just made up the engine sizes.
Old 12-10-07, 10:38 AM   #30
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
how would you feel, if you would buy a 5.7 liter v8 mustang, and realize, you have 5.55 liter v8?

note: just made up the engine sizes.
A 5.0L Mustang is actually 4.9 something. We should sue Ford for the millions of them out there.
Old 12-10-07, 10:41 AM   #31
Lyme

Quote:

It isn't if it is a big deal or not. If Halo3's graphics on a 1080p tv sucked ass, no one would buy it.

Besides, your comparision is apples and oranges. It is more like a car saying that it will fit 255/50-16, 255/40-16, 255/30-16 tires and doesn't say exactly which ones it comes with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
i'm sorry, but upscaling (stretching) is not the same. Its simply is false advertising, or misleading advertising.

It should say 720p/1080 provided by upscaling, or something simular.
Halo3 supports all those resolutions, why should it have to specifiy in exacting detail how it does so?

Please try to keep in mind the line between being reasonable and unreasonable is sometimes unclear. You do know why there are warnings on microwave popcorn bags not to look into the bag right after microwaving it? Do you know why there are warnings on Finnish Chainsaws not to stop the moving blade between your legs?
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-07, 10:45 AM   #32
nemecb

While I think the whole upscaling thing is crap (and their explanation that they're using two framebuffers is even more crap), if they're going to sue over Halo they should sue a whole bunch of other games too. There's a list of the resolutions games run at here: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.p...&postcount=454

Note how many of them are <720P.
nemecb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-07, 10:58 AM   #33
Destroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme

Halo3 supports all those resolutions, why should it have to specifiy in exacting detail how it does so?

So great, you would be perfectly happy if both the 720p and 1080i res were nothing but 480p upscaled?

This issue to me is very similar to Bioshock no supporting true widescreen. Sure its not the end of the world but its not proper either. Half truths, white lies.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-07, 11:03 AM   #34
3DBrad

LOL,

Dart 302 block, AFR 165 heads, custom Ed Curtis cam, twin T70 turbos, billet Crank. . .

ahhh, nevermind, that stuff is too expensive.
Old 12-10-07, 11:11 AM   #35
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Quote:
So great, you would be perfectly happy if both the 720p and 1080i res were nothing but 480p upscaled?

happy? prolly not.. but that would just mean I wouldn't buy any more games from them in the future. Sort of like not liking a game because it has bad graphics. I can't DO anything about it.

Quote:
This issue to me is very similar to Bioshock no supporting true widescreen.
funny... it was widescreen for me. proper aspect ratio..letter boxed viewport. Oh oh wait.. its not widescreen because "You can see more in the full screen mode"...

pfft
Old 12-10-07, 11:34 AM   #36
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd
happy? prolly not.. but that would just mean I wouldn't buy any more games from them in the future. Sort of like not liking a game because it has bad graphics. I can't DO anything about it.

funny... it was widescreen for me. proper aspect ratio..letter boxed viewport. Oh oh wait.. its not widescreen because "You can see more in the full screen mode"...

pfft
ok, so many people don't even know about, this is good for customer to know, so in future maybe they would make that choice and not support these white lies.

speaking of widescreen, entire idea of widescreen is to see more on the sides, not less on top and bottom. Incorrect FOV in Bioshock can also cause some people to have headaches, which could be avoided if they would use the correct widescreen with correct FOV.