Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-13-07, 01:08 AM   #1
Wolfy.Brandon

Question Need Opinions On A New Monitor

Hi all,

Well looks like my monitor ( 17'' ViewSonic a72f ) just went out on me tonight. Would work for a while then suddenly go black on me so it sounds like its overheating. Already tested it on another computer and it wouldnt even show a picture and the green light is flickering so I guess its shot. I'm Looking for any recommendations people might have for me on a new one thats not too expensive. I've stayed with CRT since im a heavy gamer, and the LCD's I've seen made the textures in games looked blurry.These were LCD's from a while ago so new ones might be more crisp though I'm still unsure about heat issues and if there would be any lag or something like that. I might not have much choice since it looks like CRT is becoming a thing of the past. Wanted to know if anyone had any opinions on a good monitor and even good monitor tech specs for gaming would be helpful.

Thanks,
Brandon
Realtek AC'97 Audio (Onboard Sound)
Direct X 9.0c
1gb Rosewell Ram.
200gb Harddrive
Wolfy.Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-07, 08:12 AM   #2
ryan29121
mmmkay

Default Re: Need Opinions On A New Monitor

I recently went through this same decision. I was also on a tight budget and went from considering a 19" then to a 22" and then finally a 24" LCD monitor. Comparing CRT monitors to the LCDs from a while ago CRTs definitely beat out many of the older LCDs. Todays LCDs are much better and offer a much clearer, crisper, and faster visual display. They also come at a very good price. As far as size goes, I always thought that I wouldnt want anything bigger than a 19" because I have been working with my 15" notebook for a while. But after much thinking and researching I finally went with the Samsung 245BW 24" monitor for only $400. I have to tell you I am amazed on how nice this monitor is and I am extremely glad that I went with the bigger monitor. When buying a monitor look at the response time. Anything under 6/ms is going to be great for gaming. Obviously the smaller response time the better its going to be for gaming. The best place to look is at a local Best Buy or Circuit City, because you can compare many monitors side by side. Pick the one you like out most and shop online for a better price. Hope this helps.
| Creative X-FI Platinum Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E | x2 Samsung 245BW 24" |
| Windows 7 Ultimate x64 |
| Logitech G15 | Logitech G5 Ver.2 |Logitech z5500 5.1 |
||3dMark 06: 15003||
||Games I'm Playing: Modern Warfare 2, Left 4 dead 2, Dragon age, Borderlands||
ryan29121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-07, 01:25 PM   #3
XDanger
Whaaat?

Sony GDM-FW900 (not a new monitor)
XDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-07, 01:37 PM   #4
Gorion
Papahs Pleez

Samsung 245BW 24"

I am using this as well and am pleased with it. So if it fits in your budget I think you'll be happy.
Old 12-13-07, 01:57 PM   #5
Wolfy.Brandon

Post Re: Need Opinions On A New Monitor

Thanks for the replies so far itís been helpful.

Been doing more research on LCD's and I saw a few things that concerned me. I would like to get into widescreens but I play a lot of older games that do not support widescreen resolution. If I can find one that gives me support on 1:1 ratio with black bars on the side of the screen that would be fine, it will be a problem if I have no option and the screen will be stretched. I'm new to widescreen options I donít know that much about them yet sorry, but I read something about Pillarboxing and Windowboxing and that might be features I want to look for? Also I would like to know more about Glossy Finish vs. Less Reflective Mat Finish. I read one review where someone said they couldnít stand the glossy finish on dark pictures. Last question I have is about ghosting and what I can look for to minimize it and how big of a problem it is. Already know I want a monitor with 6ms or less refresh rate 2ms would be nice. I plan to go to town today and check the local retail stores to get an idea what models they have in stock then check online to see if there is anything worth getting. If not, online might be my only option though it would be nice to get it retail so I can easily return it if there is a problem with it.

Brandon
Direct X 9.0c
1gb Rosewell Ram.
200gb Harddrive
Old 12-13-07, 01:58 PM   #6
Tr1cK
not coming back

I think a basic 19" LCD would suit you nicely. I wouldn't go bigger or widescreen due to your system.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-07, 02:56 PM   #7
XDanger
Whaaat?

I had a samsung 19" LCD, I didnt like it.
It made the pictures look all blocky so you need to use 4xAA and it only had 1 resolution that looked any good, and couldnt do 1600x1200.
19" LCD FTL ,
Bigger is better.

Get a 37"+ LCD TV instead

I really have a stonk on for this CRT http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-24-Trinitro...QQcmdZViewItem
XDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-07, 03:04 PM   #8
Tr1cK
not coming back

My Hyundai 19" LCD looks great.
It's all subjective though.
His system isn't really up to par with pushing a widescreen or high res.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-07, 06:31 PM   #9
bacon12

Are you sure it's not the power converter instead of the monitor?
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-07, 08:27 PM   #10
Wolfy.Brandon

Post Re: Need Opinions On A New Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12
Are you sure it's not the power converter instead of the monitor?
Well when I turn it on the green light is flickering and the screen stays black so I think it might be the power converter. Sounded like it would cost me $100 or more to get it fixed if that was even the problem so I thought getting a new monitor would be better.

Just got home from town after looking at moniters... god its still hard to even consider an LCD after using CRT for so long the picture just looks fuzzy to me, though the bigger moniters looked like they had a better image, that or I was just excited over seeing the big 24'' Anyway the ones I saw were Samsung 245bw ~$400+, Samsung 906bw ~$219, Samsung 2232bw ~$300, Samsung 226bw ~$350, and an Acer P191w ~$200. Those are retail prices in my area and the monitors that I thought looked the best. They had other brands like GL, Envision, Westinghouse, and Gateway. The only CRT they had was a e-Machines pos so looks like ill almost have to go LCD. Now im a little unsure about getting a big widescreen since a lot of people here think my system is a bit lacking which ill agree. I normally don't play the newer games on high-res so I get better performace. What are my options if I did get a big LCD, someone said something about cropping it so the game only displays as a 1:1 ratio on the screen. Is that an option VIA Software or is it limited to the hardware of the monitor? Most of the bigger LCD's I saw had a max res of ####x1050, and the smaller 19-22 inch LCD's had a ####x900 res. Thoughts?

Also, im willing to toss a good $300-something on a good monitor but $400 for a monitor right now is getting up there for me...

Eidt: I need something cause this is what I'm using right now and my eyes are begining to hurt.

Thanks again,
Brandon
Direct X 9.0c
1gb Rosewell Ram.
200gb Harddrive
Old 12-13-07, 08:53 PM   #11
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy.Brandon
Well when I turn it on the green light is flickering and the screen stays black so I think it might be the power converter. Sounded like it would cost me $100 or more to get it fixed if that was even the problem so I thought getting a new monitor would be better.

Just got home from town after looking at moniters... god its still hard to even consider an LCD after using CRT for so long the picture just looks fuzzy to me, though the bigger moniters looked like they had a better image, that or I was just excited over seeing the big 24'' Anyway the ones I saw were Samsung 245bw ~$400+, Samsung 906bw ~$219, Samsung 2232bw ~$300, Samsung 226bw ~$350, and an Acer P191w ~$200. Those are retail prices in my area and the monitors that I thought looked the best. They had other brands like GL, Envision, Westinghouse, and Gateway. The only CRT they had was a e-Machines pos so looks like ill almost have to go LCD. Now im a little unsure about getting a big widescreen since a lot of people here think my system is a bit lacking which ill agree. I normally don't play the newer games on high-res so I get better performace. What are my options if I did get a big LCD, someone said something about cropping it so the game only displays as a 1:1 ratio on the screen. Is that an option VIA Software or is it limited to the hardware of the monitor? Most of the bigger LCD's I saw had a max res of ####x1050, and the smaller 19-22 inch LCD's had a ####x900 res. Thoughts?

Also, im willing to toss a good $300-something on a good monitor but $400 for a monitor right now is getting up there for me...

Thanks again,
Brandon
the larger monitors should have had a resolution similar to 1920x1200 or 1680x1050. these are 16:10 widescreen resolutions.

the smaller (17-19") monitors typically are 5:4 and have 1280x1024 resolutions.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-07, 08:57 PM   #12
ViN86

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824014139

buy this. you may need to change your pants after you see it for the first time. im a big fan of BenQ. all of their monitors i have had have been solid as a rock with 0 dead pixels. this supports HDMI too.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote