Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-12-07, 02:52 PM   #1
zbiggy

Lightbulb Please add MPEG-4 AVC part 10 (h.264) XvMC acceleration

Please add MPEG-4 AVC part 10 (h.264) XvMC acceleration.
XvMC API seems to be supporting MPEG-4 by using: avcXvMC.h
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~zhen/vi...8d305621ec6fc6

Here in Poland the MPEG-4 AVC part 10 (h.264) was chosen for digital TV DVB-T transmissions. Having all this decoding on Geforce would improve quality and performance during watching. I know this mpeg-4 decoding is available in Windows. So please port it to Linux. Other countries are also going to use MPEG-4 AVC part 10 (h.264) for DVB-T so this standard is going to be globally omnipresent.

MPEG-4 AVC part 10 (h.264) DVB-T broadcasting is on air in Poland now.
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-07, 04:00 AM   #2
at0mik

Default Re: Please add MPEG-4 AVC part 10 (h.264) XvMC acceleration

I think nvidia has no plans to add this support...

I think my next graphic card will not be an nvidia...
at0mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-07, 01:45 PM   #3
manuel1139

where do you get that info that there are no plans to support purevideo on xvmc??

I would also really appreciate h.264 support on xvmc.

Are there already alternatives out there????
manuel1139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-07, 02:26 PM   #4
pe1chl

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuel1139
where do you get that info that there are no plans to support purevideo on xvmc??
Well, on the newest cards xvmc is not supported at all... and I think that it was on the list of things to do but at very low priority.
It is a bit sad, but on the other hand the use of xvmc has always been so limited that one needed to use a CPU-based codec most of the time.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-07, 05:28 AM   #5
zbiggy

It is sad for me too. Till now XvMC MPEG-2 for me was enough - I watched DVDs and DVB-T. Now .gov said the DVB-T in Poland will use MPEG-4 AVC part 10 (h.264) for all broadcasters because MPEG-2 is not compressed enough to cover all vanishing analog stations. So in short time everyone switched from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 AVC part 10 (h.264) and I lost XvMC acceleration because of unsupported format by Nvidia XvMC library.

I like to watch TV and DVD in window when I work. Especially news. MPEG-4 eats too much CPU power to watch TV as before. I can try to upgrade my CPU but GPU will offload this in much better way. For example playing DVD on XvMC uses only 2-3% of CPU and CPU usage boost spikes during working are not stuttering playback.
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-07, 05:53 AM   #6
Gregoire.Favre

With the emerging market of Full HD HTPC I am quiete certain that all gfx boards compagny will have to support the decoding or loose the market.
Currently for DVB there is a much better support under linux than on any others OS, let's just hope that won't change because graphics cards manufacturers don't support us, or don't give us full specs to do it ourself...
Gregoire.Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-07, 11:41 AM   #7
tld

Oddly enough, my MythTV frontend, which has a GeForce 7100GS actually uses more CPU with XvMC enabled, so I'm not using it. I have no idea why, but I've heard of others experiencing the same.

Luckily the 3Ghz CPU on the frontend handles HD TV easily using libmpeg2.

Tom
tld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-07, 12:04 PM   #8
crow

With my AMD 2500+ CPU and a FX5200 GPU, I need XVmC in order to play back HDTV without glitches if there's the slightest hint of anything else going on in the system.

I'm heard something about nVidia changing XVmC in newer GPUs in a way that Myth doesn't support, and since people with newer GPUs tend to have faster CPUs, there hasn't been much concern among the developers to fix it. Hence, the 5200 is often cited as the best performing video card for use with Myth.

(At least that's what I've gathered from reading the mailing lists.)
crow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-07, 05:43 PM   #9
s0be

I don't post often, but here's my understanding:

The new (8x00/g8x) series chips don't have a 2d unit in them at all, which is what had been used to do xvmc. That, along with the fact that the xvmc standard doesn't support anything other than mpeg2 and the fact that a 'better' video acceleration standard is now in the works means the work to completely rewrite xvmc support to use the 3d part of the chips for an outdated standard is not worth it. I believe they'll add support for this new acceleration arch when it's finalized, or at least begin adding support for it. Whether they decide to support the full spec is another point.
s0be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-07, 05:54 PM   #10
tld

My 7100GS definitely supports XvMC, and it works with MythTV, but it's useless as it causes higher CPU usage. Maybe it doesn't work well with hyper threading or something.

The 8x00 chip sets have no 2D at all? Maybe I'm mistaken, but it's hard to believe that wouldn't result in trade offs that won't be good for users primarily concerned with 2D (like HTPC users). I guess there's a lot to the going theories that nVidia only cares about gamers.

Tom
tld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-07, 07:09 PM   #11
s0be

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld
My 7100GS definitely supports XvMC, and it works with MythTV, but it's useless as it causes higher CPU usage. Maybe it doesn't work well with hyper threading or something.

The 8x00 chip sets have no 2D at all? Maybe I'm mistaken, but it's hard to believe that wouldn't result in trade offs that won't be good for users primarily concerned with 2D (like HTPC users). I guess there's a lot to the going theories that nVidia only cares about gamers.

Tom
I'd throw the guess out there that the minds at nvidia know what they're doing here. It's likely they found they could get better 2d performance using drivers to handle setting things up for the 3d processors to handle video. It's already been seen that these cards can handle playing hd-dvd and blueray discs under windows with little to no cpu help (just enough to get the data to the card) so it's not like these gpus can't do the work. It's just that the linux driver doesn't seem to use the standard xvmc interface to do it. I'm not saying the driver doesn't already support some method of offloading the video playback to the card, just that it's not the current standard interface (which is 'broken by design' anyways).
s0be is offline   Reply With Quote