Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-09-08, 10:40 PM   #1
delas52
:::::::::::::::::

Default New Cevat Interview

http://pc.ign.com/articles/843/843858p1.html

Here's the whole interview:

Quote:
IGN: How do you feel that DX10 worked in Crysis? Were you able to achieve all the effects you hoped for with the new architecture? Do you think that DX10 is just too much for most current DX10 capable systems?

Cevat Yerli: I am happy with the results of Crysis for both DX10 and DX9 systems. The game looks better than we envisioned and we were able to use DX10 to help take the game to a new level, while assuring DX9 players would have an incredible experience as well. We're just scratching the surface of what DX10 will bring in games in the future.

IGN: Do you feel that you were able to strike a good balance between good performance and realistic minimum requirements? How did your engineering and marketing teams arrive at a compromise between good visuals and a solid framerate and how do you respond to the people that are dissatisfied with how the game runs on their high-end systems?

Cevat Yerli: Yes I believe so that we made a good balanced decision. Our "medium" setting should run great on 70 percent of gaming PCs. I think an important distinction that many gamers overlooked was that we designed "medium" settings to look and play great. The tendency of many gamers is to automatically set everything for the highest possible settings, but our "high" settings are truly for high-end systems with "very-high" settings reserved for the most state of the art and upcoming PCs.

If we could have changed one thing, it would have been to use naming conventions similar to what we had in Far Cry. So Crysis "medium" would be renamed to "high", Crysis "high" to "very high" and Crysis "very high" to "ultra." As you'll remember when Far Cry was released, there were similar concerns about specifications and very few people could play the game on very high or ultra, but most gamers with suitable PCs played on medium or high settings.

IGN: Do you think early sales numbers were a little lower than expected (at least according to our North American NPD numbers) because of the requirements? Or was it the amount of games in the market? Or was it that everyone is still playing WoW?

Cevat Yerli: You can never sell enough copies of a game that you've put your blood sweat and tears into. It's probably a bit of all of the above.

IGN: If it does have something to do with the technology requirements, do you think that will change your approach for future tech endeavors?

Cevat Yerli: It's too early to say, but our primary goal is to always make the best possible games, first and foremost.

IGN: One of the complaints with the gameplay has been the departure from the game's very successful free-form aspects in favor of more linear action once the aliens show up. Was it something about the story that required you to change to a more linear and more cutscene driven series of missions or was it just a preference on your part?

Cevat Yerli: Story development and pacing were the main reasons for the shift. We knew we had to change the game's pace and inevitably the game's tone and style to tie up the narrative. You'll never please absolutely everyone, but we've received a lot of great feedback from gamers about the design, and we feel like the overwhelming majority of players had a great time.

IGN: What's been the player reaction to the alien designs and behaviors in Crysis? Better than the Trigens in Far Cry? Similar? Worse? Did you learn anything about their design after release that will help make them more successful enemies in the future?

Cevat Yerli: The overall feedback about the aliens in Crysis is that they are far superior to the Trigens, and yes we learned a lot about our aliens and player preferences from Far Cry and applied them here and we will do the same as always for future projects.

IGN: What was up with that ending? I know that you need to lead into later parts of the story, but it felt just like Halo 2 and it's frustrating as hell. Did you just figure to make these like episodes rather than self-contained stories in a larger picture?

Cevat Yerli: We felt we delivered an ending that is self-contained and conclusive for a first version of a game. We had always designed Crysis a trilogy so it was inevitable from a fiction point of view to not end the fiction. I don't think we communicated this enough, which is why some people might have been disappointed and for that we apologize hopefully it gives them something to look forward to!

IGN: With the next game expected to focus almost entirely on the alien menace again and fighting plenty more alien enemies, how are you going to approach gameplay design to give players more of what they enjoyed the most?

Cevat Yerli: That's a great question and an answer that our team has been asked a lot. We want what's best for the gamer and what they love us for, but we also want to balance that by pushing ourselves in new directions. So I would say at this stage that you should have no pre-conceptions about future Crytek games, we're excited about where we are heading!

IGN: Will the nano-suit stay pretty much the same in future Crysis games or do you plan on some fiction that grants more powers?

Cevat Yerli: We can't comment on this at this time.

IGN: What do you consider some of your best successes in Crysis?

Cevat Yerli: I would say the nanosuit ended up being a very successful and fun gameplay mechanic. And of course the visual fidelity paired with the interactivity of our large, open-ended worlds.

IGN: How about the biggest failure?

Cevat Yerli: I definitely think that we need to continue to educate gamers about our settings. As we've been saying all along, Crysis looks and runs great on medium and high settings on gaming rigs that are 2-3 years old.

I also think we would re-examine our anti-piracy measurements. We don't know what the answer is, but we're going to look into all of the possibilities in the future.

IGN: Was there anything you were hoping to add to the game that didn't make it? If so, will you be revisiting those in the sequel?

Cevat Yerli: We do have some things we are looking to add and enhance.

IGN: What do you have planned for multiplayer support down the line?

Cevat Yerli: It's too early to say, but certainly community is a focus. We just released a pack of new maps around Christmas and we will launch some content competitions and further improve our multiplayer offerings.

IGN: What were your favorite first-person shooters (other than Crysis) this year? Do you see any as setting any particular trend that will continue?

Cevat Yerli: I enjoyed Bioshock and COD4. I think COD4 will have followers, but I don't feel Bioshock will draw as many imitators because of its art style and setting are so distinct.

IGN: What's your opinion on Far Cry 2 at this point?

Cevat Yerli: I'm still looking forward to Far Cry 2 Everything sounds very ambitious. Though of course for me Far Cry 2 is more a new IP that is named Far Cry 2 than it is a sequel to Far Cry.
delas52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 10:51 PM   #2
Ayepecks

Default Re: New Cevat Interview

It's a good interview, but it seems to me Crytek really isn't willing to admit any faults with the game yet... when you say your biggest fault is not telling gamers enough about the graphical settings, you need to step back and better review your work to know how to improve upon your games. Obviously Crytek can, as Crysis was an improvement in many gameplay aspects over Far Cry.
Old 01-09-08, 10:56 PM   #3
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Cevat Yerli: I definitely think that we need to continue to educate gamers about our settings. As we've been saying all along, Crysis looks and runs great on medium and high settings on gaming rigs that are 2-3 years old.
I dunno. Medium looks kinda bad next to games like HL2, COD4 and Airbourne/Bioshock which also run better.

I agree when he said they should have used Far Cry's scheme with Ultra.

Also looks like more people pirated the game than I thought if he is worried about Anti-Piracy measures.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 11:02 PM   #4
m3dude

crysis on medium still looks better than any other game imo
m3dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 11:04 PM   #5
mumstheword

Standard lame interview.
mumstheword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 11:14 PM   #6
Ayepecks

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger
I dunno. Medium looks kinda bad next to games like HL2, COD4 and Airbourne/Bioshock which also run better.

I agree when he said they should have used Far Cry's scheme with Ultra.

Also looks like more people pirated the game than I thought if he is worried about Anti-Piracy measures.
Really? I think Crysis on medium looks far better than all those games except for Bioshock; it definitely runs a lot worse, though.
Old 01-10-08, 05:33 AM   #7
Crow_Nest
Ace Spammer

Send a message via MSN to Crow_Nest

The game does NOT run well on medium settings. It doesnt perform any different from High settings. Not on my PC at least...
| Hitachi 1TB SATA3 HDD | Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 | Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700W |
| Cooler Master Centurion 5 II Casing | Samsung SyncMaster XL2370 |

Laptop : Lenovo IdeaPad Y450
| Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.2 GHz | NVIDIA GeForce G110M 256MB |
| 4GB DDR3 SDRAM | Western Digital 320GB | 14.1' LED Backlit Screen |

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=73666&dateline=135279  2183
Crow_Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-08, 07:02 AM   #8
mythy
Single Male

but your PC is crap..

---Q6600 @3.45 430FSB - P5K Deluxe---
---1066 5-4-4-12 PL6! - 257 GTX OCed---
---ASUS Xonar DX - Dell 2407 24 LCD---
mythy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-08, 07:41 AM   #9
jolle

Gotta agree with the thing about Far Cry 2.
Why even call it Far Cry? afaik there is NO relation what so ever, other then that the name will help sales a bit.
Old 01-10-08, 08:47 AM   #10
Thingding
Cakes > Pies

true but crytek would've called crysis far cry 2 if they could..
Old 01-10-08, 11:40 AM   #11
SeriTonin
*BANNED*

" we need to continue to educate gamers, our game is very playable at medium and high settings on systems 2-3 years old. "

Educate these nuts. Medium looks like **** and High runs like ass.... on system's 3 MONTHS old, let alone 3 year's old.

They failed to admit the game is a mess and that they chopped off a decent ending to get the game out in 07.
SeriTonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-08, 12:50 PM   #12
asd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriTonin
" we need to continue to educate gamers, our game is very playable at medium and high settings on systems 2-3 years old. "

Educate these nuts. Medium looks like **** and High runs like ass.... on system's 3 MONTHS old, let alone 3 year's old.

They failed to admit the game is a mess and that they chopped off a decent ending to get the game out in 07.
This is really funny, how could they dare to say MEDIUM is "HIGH" actually!? they could just admit that the game run like crap, nope, it's MAXIMUM CRAP, I can say that, STALKER looks far better than Crysis, and run FAR BETTER than Crysis too!! if I must force myself to play Crysis in MEDIUM setting, then I would prefer, UNINSTALL IT!
asd is offline   Reply With Quote