Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Crysis

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-17-07, 06:48 PM   #193
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Default Re: Crysis[PC] vs. Uncharted[PS3]

<- is a big geography photograph nut, so if its a good shot that shows realistic lighting..I like it. I guess crysis hits its mark most of the time if I like most of the screen shots I see of crysis.

edit: Your right..the mountains on the right did get mangled with a low resolution texture..but I liked the rest of the shot. ^^
Old 12-17-07, 07:54 PM   #194
Nanosuitguy
call me Nano

Send a message via MSN to Nanosuitguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRig
Just add -dx9 to the end of your crysis shortcuts executable.

This is how the entire shortcut should read-

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis\Bin32\Crysis.exe" -dx9

You can run post processing on high if you wish to do so but at the cost of 2-3 frames per second. Still though that should keep you above 30fps the majority of the time.
Thanks man, gonna try this... btw, is the difference big between post processing on medium and high?
Nanosuitguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-07, 08:34 PM   #195
SH0DAN
SGIRealityEngine

Send a message via ICQ to SH0DAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
Thank you. 25-30 fps, on average, with occasional drops to 15fps--and that's with shadows even set to medium. And this on a shooter where quick reflexes and precision aim are paramount to gameplay.

Many console games are capped at 30fps, but developers can cater to one hardware spec and optimize the entire game around a 30fps experience, so you don't get as many drops to 15-25fps like you do in Crysis. For the most part, it will be a consistent 30 which is very smooth if you've ever seen it.

I dont understand why you are complaining so vehemently Xion ??

So yet again,another PC title has arrived on the scene,that brings all the latest and greatest PC hardware to shame.Uh,so what ?

This is nothing new.Maybe you should sell you rig,and buy a console,and a large widescreen lcd tv,for 2 or 4 grand.Once you factor in the cost of a large LCD of high quality (IMHO) it ceases to be worth it to switch to a console.Not to mention the lack of mouse and kb use.Which kill it for me.Maybe if I had cable or sat connection,and watched tv I might have a very diffferent opinion.Dont get me wrong ! I understand your frustration,but still..Maybe its because I use my pc(s) for things other then just gaming....
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it. -Fred Bastiat-

The last official act of a corrupt government is to loot the nation.

When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.
P. J. O'Rourke

------------------
Q6600 g0 @3.20Ghz 1.30 VOLTS||Tr ULTIMA 90I + ||2X1Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC6400 4-3-3-7@ 400 x 8
BFG 260gtx MAXCORE55 @ 690/1420/2377 ||Asus P5K-Deluxe WiFi AP||Corsair HX520||Nec 2470WNX-BK + LG 1751S|
Lian Li PC-65B + II||Western Digital 150GB RaptorX|| Samsung 750Gb HD x3|| WD 2500KS ||Samsung 183s||SB Audigy 2 ZS||Audio Technica ESW9's +red RSA Predator|G11+MX518
SH0DAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-07, 09:07 PM   #196
Nanosuitguy
call me Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRig
Just add -dx9 to the end of your crysis shortcuts executable.

This is how the entire shortcut should read-

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis\Bin32\Crysis.exe" -dx9

You can run post processing on high if you wish to do so but at the cost of 2-3 frames per second. Still though that should keep you above 30fps the majority of the time.
So what settings shall i change to get the dx10 goodies such as 3d ocean and sunrays?
Old 12-17-07, 09:57 PM   #197
sammy sung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonelo
What is the PC version ? Interesting cuestion
Jonelo you wanna do the same comparison with the ps3 and pc versions of UT3 ? Or the pc and 360 versions of Bioshock ? The Pc version of GoW looks better because it came out one year later,Epic replaced a ton of textures but that will become more and more rare imo.Epic did NOT do the same with UT3 ,most multiformat games will not be adapted,ramped up with better textures etc for the pc release.

The 360 and pc versions of Bioshock are very hard to tell apart looking at texture resolution.I have a one year old pc that can run UT3 at maximum details at a good res @ 60 fps.But at the same time i cannot run Crysis that was released before it at a playable fps with max details.(and dont get me wrong here,i fully realized i was not going to be able to do that,i did however expect UT3 to have a lot better textures than it does and tax my hardware more. ) How many games do you think will be released like crysis on pc alone ? Seeing that it sofar sold less than 100 000 units i think it will become a rarity and the multiformat games will dominate,for those multiformat games you will not need the likes of SLI,TRI-SLI.It looks like it will be pointless to spend that much money for a handful of games each year that will take proper advantage of that hardware.

By the looks of it the money is in consoles,thats where they make the most money.It would be crazy to keep developing games like crysis and spend millions during the developement phase and have those kind of absymal sales.
The dissapointment in UT3 has made this very clear,that Epic will and have already been followed by many developers that will develop primarily for consoles and port to pc if at all.
Old 12-17-07, 10:50 PM   #198
Nanosuitguy
call me Nano

It should be a good night in here....
Old 12-18-07, 01:02 AM   #199
Jonelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy sung
Jonelo you wanna do the same comparison with the ps3 and pc versions of UT3 ? Or the pc and 360 versions of Bioshock ? The Pc version of GoW looks better because it came out one year later,Epic replaced a ton of textures but that will become more and more rare imo.
No, look better because Epic use 512 mb or more for the textures . This is the difference . And the power of the 8800 series, the framerate is the double or more than the xbox version . Bioshock have the same textures, but you have AA in the PC version , and more framerate and resolution , for the power of the graphic card .

You can connect to your HDTV and play 1080p, thanks to the hard of PC .I played GOW or Bioshock in my HDTV, at 1080p without any creepy scaling. The diference is big . And other exemples are TDU - AF , very importan, the AA and the double resolution . Or COJ , for my mediocre visual game in 360 version , with many setting in low and without a avanced HDR and lighting , AA . AF .... .

More examples in multiplaform games . COD 4 - with textures in medium in the console version, lower resolution than 720p, lower AA etc,

HL2 EP2 ... without any AA in the console version at capped at 30 fps .

More examples ? You have one console , friend ?

Quote:
100 000 units
3 or 4 times more only in Germany . This only in box . You have the market of the digital distribution , in some countries is the half of the market

Quote:
Germany:

1 Crysis (PC)
2 Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
3 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PC)
4 Assassin's Creed (PS3)
5 Assassin's Creed (Xbox 360)
6 Crysis Collector's Edition (PC)
7 High School Musical: Sing it (PS2)
8 WWE Smackdown vs. RAW 2008 (PS2)
9 Unreal Tournament 3 (PC)
10 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PS3)
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=30972

Quote:
How many games do you think will be released like crysis on pc alone ? Seeing that it sofar sold less than 100 000 units i think it will become a rarity and the multiformat games will dominate,for those multiformat games you will not need the likes of SLI,TRI-SLI.It looks like it will be pointless to spend that much money for a handful of games each year that will take proper advantage of that hardware.
In your country or in Germany the people have many many "TRISLIS "

Quote:
sammy sung

Jonelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-07, 03:41 AM   #200
Nanosuitguy
call me Nano

WOOHO, Go jonelo! I can only agree with you :P halo3 looked ugly without AA and AF in the 360... pffft.

Also, nice swedish box of info u got there.. not bad for an itallian

Old 12-18-07, 04:09 AM   #201
Jonelo

I am spanish . Well , I have a great problem with my identity. Really , I am Basque.
Jonelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-07, 02:13 PM   #202
sammy sung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonelo
No, look better because Epic use 512 mb or more for the textures .

Cliffy B :
"It's not just an increase in resolution. I remember back in the day we would have artist meetings when we were developing the 360 version. The artists were agonising over these textures, doing them in these resolutions like 4096 by 4096. I'm thinking some of that detail on the Xbox isn't going to come through. I remember talking to Gerry and Chris who were the art leads and I'm like 'why are we painting it at this high a resolution?' and they said that basically at a later date we are going to put this on PC and we know that this is going to come through.

"What gamers are able to see is the world of Sera, the world of Marcus Fenix, the world that is in so much peril, in the original lustre that it was intended to be rendered at. It's the way the game is meant to be seen."

As usual Jonelo you miss the point and make this into something it wasnt meant to be.The pc is more powerful and can display a higher quality image,im not debating that at all, I prefer the pc to the consoles but the developers make more money and sell more games on the consoles .

The 100k crysis number was for the US market where it has sold less than 100 000 copies .None of the top 10 selling games on the US market is a pc game atm.The differences you mention between the pc and 360 versions are mainly af / aa oriented.How many console owners do you think care if their version have less AF than you can have on your pc ? My point is that i think fewer developers will go the extra mile and make the pc version of their game into something more than a higher res more aa/af affair.

UT3 is one example of that,the pc textures are as horrible as they are on the ps3 version and not much is gained visually on the transition to pc,its looks horrid on a lot of the maps with lowres/lowdetail textures.I expected more from Epic visually with UT3 ,a lot more but i realize that it will be something seen a lot more often and thats why the need for sli or the different variants thereof will be less for future multiformat games .

A minority cares as much as you do Jonelo about texture detail,most people dont give a damn about the AF level or if parallax mapping is used or not.Your texture interest is a bordeline fetish,who else here takes screenshots of the ground ? The average gamer doesnt care and they will not be able to tell the difference . And before you get all worked up this is only about multiformat games, not about flightsims etc made just for pc.
Old 12-18-07, 09:01 PM   #203
sammy sung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanosuitguy
WOOHO, Go jonelo! I can only agree with you :P halo3 looked ugly without AA and AF in the 360... pffft.

Also, nice swedish box of info u got there.. not bad for an itallian

And Halo3 has exactly what to do with this ? I was talking about multiformat games .Halo3 is exclusive to the 360 so its has no bearing on the subject.

Halo 2 on the other hand used higher detail textures for its pc release and looked better.Again this didnt happen with any of the UE3 engine games apart from GoW and i dont really see that it will either in future games when developed alongside echother.What we can expect imo from the said games is more AF/AA and a higher res.

More than 4 million people bought Halo 3 for the 360, lack of AA/AF didnt stop it.UT3 pc has currently sold 35 000 copies in the us and roughly twice that worldwide.It might be like "Millions of flies cant be wrong,eat ****" but it doesnt matter when the flies pay for the **** aswell does it ?

http://www.guru3d.com/newsitem.php?id=6227

Old 12-18-07, 10:15 PM   #204
evox
:3

Quote:
UT3 pc has currently sold 35 000 copies in the us and roughly twice that worldwide
actually, it sold around 5,000 less than that. small correction

Carry on
evox is offline   Reply With Quote