Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Crysis

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-18-07, 10:49 PM   #205
agentkay

Default Re: Crysis[PC] vs. Uncharted[PS3]

The problem with many developers is that they don't (for instance) use high-res textures during the development and then scale them down to what the console can handle. Instead they develop the "eye-candy" for the console and simply port it all with the same content to the PC. I simply won't buy such "poor ports" anymore.

Yea we all know that the console market is more profitable but that doesn't mean that good games on PC don't bring in any profits. The publishers need to make digital distribution even more attractive and use more "online activation" systems but at the same time also deliver quality and push the limits of the PC stronger. We (PC gamers) pay more for our systems so we expect that we also get more (quality). If this is done right there will be less pirated PC games and more sales.

Interesting article where EA claims that Euro developers are more creative and not all about "money and profits" unlike the American developers:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=31380

I'm not sure about the "creativity" aspect but it is interesting that many PC ports and games "done right" come from Europe.

Intel I7-920 aircooled by Prolimatech Megahalems @ 3.8Ghz (200x19) | Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R | OCZ Platinum 3x2GB DDR3-1600 RAM (7-7-7-24) @ 1600 | Gainward GTX 480 | WD Raptor 74GB + 150GB + Samsung 1TB | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair AX850 Gold | Coolermaster Stacker 830 silver | Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech G25 Racing Wheel | Sharp LC-46 XL1E (gaming and work)
F CliffyB.
agentkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-07, 11:44 PM   #206
sammy sung

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentkay
The problem with many developers is that they don't (for instance) use high-res textures during the development and then scale them down to what the console can handle. Instead they develop the "eye-candy" for the console and simply port it all with the same content to the PC. I simply won't buy such "poor ports" anymore.

Yea we all know that the console market is more profitable but that doesn't mean that good games on PC don't bring in any profits. The publishers need to make digital distribution even more attractive and use more "online activation" systems but at the same time also deliver quality and push the limits of the PC stronger. We (PC gamers) pay more for our systems so we expect that we also get more (quality). If this is done right there will be less pirated PC games and more sales.

Interesting article where EA claims that Euro developers are more creative and not all about "money and profits" unlike the American developers:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=31380

I'm not sure about the "creativity" aspect but it is interesting that many PC ports and games "done right" come from Europe.
+1
Old 12-19-07, 02:24 AM   #207
Jonelo

They come from Europe because the first market of games like Stalker, The Witcher or Crysis is Europe.

In the statistics that I have put, Crysis recovers his expenses only with his sales in Germany. With the Witcher and Stalker happens the same thing, these games only with the sales in East Europe and Germany have recovered the investment and have gained money.

These games has influences of the golden age of the game of PC in USA, 1995-2001 , games that today are considered the better games all time. This type of games already are not done nowadays in USA, in mythical studies like Looking Glass, Iron Storn Austin, Valve, GO etc. This type of developers disappeared with the arrival 360 or began to develop for console also and in some cases, with games that really do not have the risk and innovation as those of golden age.
Jonelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-07, 04:52 PM   #208
Nanosuitguy
call me Nano

Send a message via MSN to Nanosuitguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3dude
16xqaa with supersampling transparency aa on 2 8800 gtx in sli. all high settings with texture streaming off

editor shot with tetxure streaming on or else the high res screenshot crashes the editor. all settings high

quality isnt comparable, the editor shot image quality is way higher. again multisampling can not match supersampling.
saving this one...
Nanosuitguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-07, 08:48 AM   #209
brady
I'm like everyone else.

I picked up Uncharted yesterday to see what it was all about. I'm very impressed. It's actually the one and only game I've bought for my PS3 (which I bought primarily for BR).

I would not try to make the claim that Uncharted is a technically superior game than Crysis but it does have a very nice polish to it. Oh yeah, and it's fun.

C2D @ 3.0GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 4GB DDR2 | HIS AMD 6990 4GB | OS X Lion 10.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-07, 12:59 PM   #210
hell_of_doom227

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady
I picked up Uncharted yesterday to see what it was all about. I'm very impressed. It's actually the one and only game I've bought for my PS3 (which I bought primarily for BR).

I would not try to make the claim that Uncharted is a technically superior game than Crysis but it does have a very nice polish to it. Oh yeah, and it's fun.
Unlike Crysis which runs like crap you can enjoy Uncharted and have fun and that's what matters to me.
System: eVGA x58SLI x16 4Way Classified, Intel Six Core i7 X980@4.00Ghz, 6Gb GSkill DDR3-1600, Tri Crossfire 3xATI Radeon 5870 1Gb, Raid1 - 2xSSD Intel 80Gb X-25M, Raid0 - 2xHDD Samsung 2Tb, Raid1 - 2xHDD Samsung 1Tb, LG Blue-Ray/HD-DVD Player, Silverstone 1100W PSU, Intel Stock Cooler (New One), Thermaltake Xaser VI, LG 27" LCD, Logitech Keyboard G15, G5 Logitech Mouse

35708 - 3DMark Vantage
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=2109601
hell_of_doom227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-07, 02:59 PM   #211
Jonelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_of_doom227
Unlike Crysis which runs like crap you can enjoy Uncharted and have fun and that's what matters to me.
Lowers the setting to lown except the physics, the game is exactly the same one. It is possible in all games. If you does not like the gameplay of Crysis's , you can play COD 4, maybe Crysis not is your game . If COD 4 not is for you, and you need a "harcore FPS" with open gameplay , go to STALKER or Armed Assault .It can sell your copy of Crysis and to buy these two games , which are very cheap. So much poison is going to cause a sore

And well , with you SLI you can play Crysis at more than the 30 fps of Uncharted , like this but x 2 , at 720p

Uncharted or Crysis ?
Old 12-23-07, 04:18 PM   #212
|MaguS|

Uncharted.... While you sit there taking pictures of trees people are enjoying the far better story and gameplay of uncharted.

Old 12-23-07, 04:20 PM   #213
JasonPC

Don't even bother with him. He has his flawed bias against Crysis and that's not going to change.

He may be taking pictures of trees, but those are pics of a custom map, which you can do in Uncharted right? Oh right.
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-07, 05:20 PM   #214
Jonelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Uncharted.... While you sit there taking pictures of trees people are enjoying the far better story and gameplay of uncharted.
Humm .. now the discusion not is about the graphics

You have 5 times more gameplay in Crysis than in Encharted per square foot . A FPS game, a stealth l game, a FPS /stealth , a fight game and one combination of the all styles .

Infinite combinations of gameplay in one map , some have some square kilometers .You can start a level of Crysis, take a boat, go to the end of it and do it in the opposite direction.Maybe for some people is a boring gameplay , not is like the very nice "on rails " and very original and innovative gameplay of uncharted .

Possibly, many people fear freedom. And not know what to do with it
Old 12-31-07, 01:14 PM   #215
jcossin
-=> Indy <=-

I own both games and I have to say that as an overall game I am enjoying Uncharted more than Crysis. I am probably biased though since I love action/adventure and the treasure hunting theme is more my thing.

I think the polish on Uncharted is excellent and a lot of developers could learn from looking at that game. Also, I like the fact that I can just put in the disk and play whereas with Crysis I had to play around with drivers/settings to get past the crashes and slowdowns and I still am not happy with the performance on my rig, and my PC is no slouch!

http://www.greetingcardsgirl.com - Check out the weekly Free Sale list posted every Sunday.

Asus G71Gx Laptop
nVidia 260m GTX 1GB DDR3
Intel Core2Duo P8700 (2.53GHz)
6GB 800MHz DDR2
64GB Corsair Xtreme SSD
500GB 5400RPM SATA HDD
17" 1440 x 900 WXGA+ LCD
Windows 7 64-bit
jcossin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-07, 08:48 PM   #216
Nanosuitguy
call me Nano

Send a message via MSN to Nanosuitguy

Its just a lot a different game, Uncharted is more like a mixup between tombraider and gears of war lol with a prettier engine. Shadows, HDR and nice water is no problems to make, even the crap game Just cause has it...
Nanosuitguy is offline   Reply With Quote