Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Crysis

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-16-07, 10:50 AM   #85
m3dude

Default Re: Crysis[PC] vs. Uncharted[PS3]

why are people here ignoring the framerate drops in uncharted? i saw many in those demo videos jonelo posted. also uncharted runs at 720p, run crysis at 720p on a g80 at all high settings and performance will be fine while still blowing uncharted out of the water in every aspect of graphics technology

also q, that is way off and isnt accurate at all. giving cod a 9 and crysis a 10 is ignoring the huge number of things crysis does that cod 4 doesnt, and is ignoring the things they both do but crysis does on a scale many many times better/bigger.
m3dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-07, 10:57 AM   #86
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3dude
why are people here ignoring the framerate drops in uncharted? i saw many in those demo videos jonelo posted. also uncharted runs at 720p, run crysis at 720p on a g80 at all high settings and performance will be fine while still blowing uncharted out of the water in every aspect of graphics technology

also q, that is way off and isnt accurate at all. giving cod a 9 and crysis a 10 is ignoring the huge number of things crysis does that cod 4 doesnt, and is ignoring the things they both do but crysis does on a scale many many times better/bigger.
I'm not trying to say that its accurate, or even close for that matter. I was trying to illustrate a point. If everything that should be factored in was actually included, the "simulated scores" would be much, much closer. I'd still give COD4 the nod in terms of looks to performance, but I don't think that would take away from what Crysis does in the least.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-07, 11:01 AM   #87
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonelo
In the bech the average is 25- 30 fps with some drops at 15 fps, not is ideal but this is playable . This is the fremerate of many games of console , capped at 30 fps .
Thank you. 25-30 fps, on average, with occasional drops to 15fps--and that's with shadows even set to medium. And this on a shooter where quick reflexes and precision aim are paramount to gameplay.

Many console games are capped at 30fps, but developers can cater to one hardware spec and optimize the entire game around a 30fps experience, so you don't get as many drops to 15-25fps like you do in Crysis. For the most part, it will be a consistent 30 which is very smooth if you've ever seen it.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-07, 11:05 AM   #88
m3dude

cod 4 is rendering tiny low poly environments with low poly characters. the shadow maps are EXTREMELY low res and arent even soft shadows. cod 4 also has low res textures and not much bump/parallax mapping to speak of. th elighting system is decent.

crysis is rendering worlds multiple square kilometers that are very high polygon, characters are high polygon, even tho some textures are as low res as cod 4, many are VERY high res. theres also extensive use of bump/parallax mapping. every single shadow is also soft shadowed and most are decent resolution. the lighting system is by far the most advanced ever seen in a game. common sense here tells me theres going to be a BIG difference in performance.
Old 12-16-07, 11:07 AM   #89
Xion X2

Quote:
why are people here ignoring the framerate drops in uncharted?
I haven't played Uncharted, so I'm honestly not aware of how well it plays. But I do know right off the bat that it's an action/adventure game--not a FPS like Crysis which usually require quicker reflexes and higher precision aiming which are both made much tougher when your framerate is inconsistent.

Quote:
also uncharted runs at 720p, run crysis at 720p on a g80 at all high settings and performance will be fine while still blowing uncharted out of the water in every aspect of graphics technology
The problem with this mindset is that most of us aren't running our PCs through a 720p setup; we're using high-res LCDs which begin to look poor from an IQ standpoint when you try to downscale the resolution. PC gaming, by nature, is mostly done at a computer desk while you're viewing your monitor from a much shorter distance than when gaming on a console, so having a higher-res monitor is usually a necessary practice if you still want good IQ.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 12-16-07, 11:09 AM   #90
m3dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
I haven't played Uncharted, so I'm honestly not aware of how well it plays. But I do know right off the bat that it's an action/adventure game--not a FPS like Crysis which usually require quicker reflexes and higher precision aiming which are both made much tougher when your framerate is inconsistent.

The problem with this mindset is that most of us aren't running our PCs through a 720p setup; we're using high-res LCDs which begin to look poor from an IQ standpoint when you try to downscale the resolution. PC gaming, by nature, is mostly done at a computer desk while you're viewing your monitor from a much shorter distance than when gaming on a console, so having a higher-res monitor is usually a necessary practice if you still want good IQ.
so basically you would rather crytek dumb down the graphics so u can feel better knowing your running it at max settings at your native resolution? or maybe u expect crytek to magically give our gpus the power to process pixels twice as fast?
Old 12-16-07, 11:20 AM   #91
Xion X2

Quote:
so basically you would rather crytek dumb down the graphics so u can feel better knowing your running it at max settings at your native resolution? or maybe u expect crytek to magically give our gpus the power to process pixels twice as fast?
Where did I ever say or imply this? I've not said once that I'm running the game at the highest settings--hell, it doesn't even run smoothly on "High" for me which is a notch down from the highest settings it will go to. And that's without any AA or AF whatsoever! I would be perfectly happy if I could squeeze a consistent 30fps out at "High" settings with a little AA on my setup, but I can't.

No, what I have an issue with are guys who want to compare Crysis to a game that looks as good as Uncharted by posting "Very High" screenshots while ignoring that the FPS could be measured on a sundial at those settings while Uncharted scoots along at a playable framerate. This crowd usually seems too closed-minded to realize that what would make more sense is to compare playable settings. What settings can you max Crysis out to and still get a consistent 30fps?

Does it make sense to you to compare a game's worth by graphics alone? There have been tons of games over the years that had great graphics but failed miserably from a gameplay perspective.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 12-16-07, 11:27 AM   #92
m3dude

this thread seems to be about graphics tho, and not gameplay. the shots jonelo posted were on high settings and seemed very playable, and thats at 1680x1050, around twice the number of pixels as 720p, while blowing uncharted out of the water visually.

does it make sense to compare a game processing half the pixels from a resolution standpoint while looking a metric ****ton more simple graphically from a performance standpoint?

and again, this level of graphics requires a lot of horsepower. crytek cant just magically bestow on g80 the ability to run faster than the hardware will allow. they have been working hand in hand with nvidia for a long time. there will likely be performance improvements to come with future drivers/patches, but they can only work with what the hardware is capable of. the game is likely taking very good advantage of g80 as is tho.

do you also complain that corvettes use more gas than a civic? do u buy one and return it telling them ud keep if it u could at least get 25 miles per gallon? id hope not, most people realize high performance engines simply require more gas, and all the engineering in the world can not change that.

Old 12-16-07, 11:46 AM   #93
Xion X2

Quote:
this thread seems to be about graphics tho, and not gameplay.
That was not the mindset of the original poster. Shall I go back and quote him again on saying how smoothly Drake's played as compared to Crysis?

Quote:
the shots jonelo posted were on high settings and seemed very playable
15fps is "playable" to you for a first-person shooter? He cherry-picked those screenshots, because when he went back and ran a benchmark he was averaging 25-30fps with some drops to 15. And that wasn't even with all settings on high; he had shadows on medium.

Quote:
and thats at 1680x1050, around twice the number of pixels as 720p, while blowing uncharted out of the water visually.
Uncharted runs at 1080p (1920x1080):
http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...2290307&page=3

And in regards to your comment about it "blowing Uncharted out of the water visually", well, you're once again talking simply about graphics settings and what's not comparable from a gameplay standpoint.

I couldn't give two farts in the wind if Crysis has super-duper-mega-pwnbot-ultra shader settings if it plays at 2fps with them enabled. Optimize the game first to run at a consistent 30fps, which is necessary for any FPS, and then show me the graphics that go with that optimization.

Quote:
crytek cant just magically bestow on g80 the ability to run faster than the hardware will allow.
I'm not asking them to. This argument is not about how many graphical effects can be pushed but how well it can be done and still be practical for your audience. And to be blunt, the engine just isn't all that efficient. By the time you scale the graphics back for good performance, you're left with a glorified Far Cry. To get a true next-gen experience you need the high shaders enabled, and they absolutely kill performance.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 12-16-07, 12:29 PM   #94
SlickRig
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
By the time you scale the graphics back for good performance, you're left with a glorified Far Cry. To get a true next-gen experience you need the high shaders enabled, and they absolutely kill performance.

I wouldn't go that far. Crysis is perfectly playable using the DX9 path with (ini tweaks to enable some very high settings) at 1680X1050 with a few settings at very high(water, textures), a few at high (shaders to be specific) and a couple of settings at medium (shadows and post processing).

Of course this is with no AA or AF which btw would normally bug me to no end but even without those 2 features enabled Crysis from a graphical viewpoint using the above mentioned settings simply blows anything else out of the water graphically and plays very well to boot so I dont mind it at all for the time being. Also I have gotten to some of the later levels and found the game to still run well staying above 35fps the majority of the time.

For you people dipping into the 15fps range during gun fights I urge you to fiddle with the settings some to get the right balance because as Xion has stated I do not agree with the way some of you run every single setting at Very High and still try to make out that Crysis is Playable when in fact the last time I checked 15-20 fps was horrible.

I am in the process right now of redownloading the Crysis game from EA and will be running the FRAPS benchmarking program to see what I find, I do know that the game has ran exceptionally well for me, even in heavy gunfights I have been in the 30fps range. Stay tuned for this either this evening or sometime tomorrow.

As for Uncharted it is a fantastic looking PS3 game but in all honesty I do not know why a First person shooter is being compared to a platform type adventure which is on a linear track to begin with. Those are 2 completely different types of games. LOL.
SlickRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-07, 01:00 PM   #95
mumstheword

Just wanted to see them next to each other.
mumstheword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-07, 01:05 PM   #96
agentkay

Based on what is rendered in Crysis the performance is totally justified and I've played it at 1080p with almost all veryhigh settings (custom config, with "high" shadows, and regular motionblur, DoF). You want higher settings/framerate then you need to get SLI/CF because that is the true high-end solution not just a single high-end card.

Edit: Slawter just told me that the Uncharted demo was 720p and I highly doubt the retail version magically runs at 1080p "natively", it's just upscaled from 720p to 1080p.

Intel I7-920 aircooled by Prolimatech Megahalems @ 3.8Ghz (200x19) | Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R | OCZ Platinum 3x2GB DDR3-1600 RAM (7-7-7-24) @ 1600 | Gainward GTX 480 | WD Raptor 74GB + 150GB + Samsung 1TB | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair AX850 Gold | Coolermaster Stacker 830 silver | Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech G25 Racing Wheel | Sharp LC-46 XL1E (gaming and work)
F CliffyB.
agentkay is offline   Reply With Quote