Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Crysis

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-16-07, 02:11 PM   #97
m3dude

Default Re: Crysis[PC] vs. Uncharted[PS3]

to be fair to uncharted, that isnt a real screen mums, its an editor shot massively downsized and isnt representative of in game graphic quality. wish people would stop posting downsized pics to show off graphics.
m3dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-07, 02:18 PM   #98
MustangSVT
Stop looking at me

Soo you're telling me Uncharted is rendered natively at 1080p? From what I read on other forums, people say it runs natively at 720p and is upscaled at 1080p. Considering the PS3 runs games like Resistance at 720p, I SERIOUSLY doubt it renders Uncharted natively at 1080p.

Otherwise, you're basically telling me that Uncharted "magically" found like 100%-200% more power in the PS3 relative to other developers.

2. Q9550 @ 3.7, ASUS P5K, Galaxy 8800GT G92, 2GB Mushkin DDR2-1066, Samsung 710N + Samsung 205BW, Audigy 2 + SB Live! 5.1 (hooked up together, really), dad's comp

3. XP-M 2500+ @ 205x11.5, Gigabyte nForce2-400, GeForce4 Ti4200, 2x512MB OCZ DDR-400 "Premier", oldie
MustangSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-07, 02:20 PM   #99
SlickRig
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3dude
to be fair to uncharted, that isnt a real screen mums, its an editor shot massively downsized and isnt representative of in game graphic quality. wish people would stop posting downsized pics to show off graphics.
I dont think mum is trying to state that Uncharted looks better than Crysis, or at least I hope not.
SlickRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-07, 02:27 PM   #100
SlickRig
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentkay
Based on what is rendered in Crysis the performance is totally justified
I can agree with this, its a game that is leaps and bounds above anything else in terms of visuals and I am quite surprised at how well it can run after some tweaking. Also, The 8800 series is a year old now people, you should not expect playable Frame rates with every last single setting at max.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentkay
You want higher settings/framerate then you need to get SLI/CF because that is the true high-end solution not just a single high-end card.
Thats the problem right now though, SLI doesnt currently give enough boost in FPS with Crysis over a single GPU and I absolutely will not ever again run with a crappy NVIDIA Chipset.

CF on the other hand while it might be scaling better still has its number of issues as well and I dont really care that much for ATI at the moment.

The real answer for higher FPS IMO will be with the 9 series from Nvidia which is honestly what Crysis is screaming for.
Old 12-16-07, 02:33 PM   #101
m3dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRig
I dont think mum is trying to state that Uncharted looks better than Crysis, or at least I hope not.
i was referring to his crysis screen, its not a realtime in game screen
Old 12-16-07, 02:34 PM   #102
Nanosuitguy
call me Nano

Send a message via MSN to Nanosuitguy

Quote:
Are you stupid or what? It only adds Supersample AA and AF, other than that its ingame shot, shadows, textures, lighting is not changed and that is what crysis would look like with 16xQAA and Multisample/supersample AA. Uncharted has nothing on crysis. It looks kinda like a mixture between far cry and gears of war... A big downside is that it doesn't have AA and no/poor AF.

Ingame MOFO!
Nanosuitguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-07, 02:34 PM   #103
SlickRig
*BANNED*

Quote:
i was referring to his crysis screen, its not a realtime in game screen

Ok my bad man, I was reading into it all wrong. lol. This whole thread has given me a major headache.
Old 12-16-07, 02:37 PM   #104
SlickRig
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanosuitguy
Are you stupid or what? It only adds Supersample AA and AF, other than that its ingame shot, shadows, textures, lighting is not changed and that is what crysis would look like with 16xQAA and Multisample/supersample AA.
Thats true but it will be a nice long while before anyone can actually play it at those settings without it being a picture slide show. lol.

Quote:
Uncharted has nothing on crysis.
In the graphics department sure, everywhere else im not so sure. Crysis has a number of technical issues right now which desperately need to be addressed with a patch and IMO some of them are severe enough that I really don't think the game should have even been released in its current state.

Quote:
It looks kinda like a mixture between far cry and gears of war... A big downside is that it doesn't have AA and no/poor AF.

You forgot screen tearing. lol.

Old 12-16-07, 02:41 PM   #105
m3dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
That was not the mindset of the original poster. Shall I go back and quote him again on saying how smoothly Drake's played as compared to Crysis?

crysis runs smoother at 720p than uncharted while being a generation ahead in graphics.

15fps is "playable" to you for a first-person shooter? He cherry-picked those screenshots, because when he went back and ran a benchmark he was averaging 25-30fps with some drops to 15. And that wasn't even with all settings on high; he had shadows on medium.

15 fps? i dont consider momentary drops to 15 fps because of hd loading or ram streaming to be a worthwhile point of consideration here. at 1680x1050 on a gtx all high settings u will pretty much never drop below 25 fps other than a momentary blip in the framerate.

Uncharted runs at 1080p (1920x1080):
http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...2290307&page=3

uncharted runs at 720p, unless u consider simple upscaling to be 1080p, in that case go play crysis at 720p and your monitor will upscale it, and tada, u have ur native resolution.

And in regards to your comment about it "blowing Uncharted out of the water visually", well, you're once again talking simply about graphics settings and what's not comparable from a gameplay standpoint.

no im talking about across the board high settings, close to playable at 1920x1200, playable at 1680x1050 and below, and looks far far better than anything else at those high settings. u can also enable sunrays, edgeaa 2, and 3d water with virtually no performance hit.

I couldn't give two farts in the wind if Crysis has super-duper-mega-pwnbot-ultra shader settings if it plays at 2fps with them enabled. Optimize the game first to run at a consistent 30fps, which is necessary for any FPS, and then show me the graphics that go with that optimization.

see response to above paragraph

I'm not asking them to. This argument is not about how many graphical effects can be pushed but how well it can be done and still be practical for your audience. And to be blunt, the engine just isn't all that efficient. By the time you scale the graphics back for good performance, you're left with a glorified Far Cry. To get a true next-gen experience you need the high shaders enabled, and they absolutely kill performance.
when it comes down to it your complaining because you cant run the game at maxed settings on your water cooled ultra. im sorry that this for some reason hurts your pc ego. the game is very playable on all high settings and still sets the bar far above anything else on the market.
Old 12-16-07, 02:45 PM   #106
m3dude

Quote:
Are you stupid or what? It only adds Supersample AA and AF, other than that its ingame shot, shadows, textures, lighting is not changed and that is what crysis would look like with 16xQAA and Multisample/supersample AA. Uncharted has nothing on crysis. It looks kinda like a mixture between far cry and gears of war... A big downside is that it doesn't have AA and no/poor AF.

Ingame MOFO!
werent u the genius arguing with me that it didnt add af? now u claim it does? . you rly do get smarter by the day!!!

and lol @ "it only adds supersample aa" as if thats some minor iq boost. and 16xqaa wouldnt look anything like that, because guess what? 16xqaa is MULTISAMPLING, not SUPERSAMPLING. and the power wed need to run crysis with 8x or 16x SUPERSAMPLING to match those editor shots wont be coming for many many years. to put it in perspective, a gtx only runs ut2k4 at 35 fps or so, less during action scenes with just 4x supersampling. now apply that to crysis but with 8 or 16x supersampling.
Old 12-16-07, 02:46 PM   #107
mumstheword

Quote:
So is there any screenshots out there of the retail that does represent the games visual quality?
mumstheword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-07, 02:47 PM   #108
Nanosuitguy
call me Nano

Send a message via MSN to Nanosuitguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRig
Thats true but it will be a nice long while before anyone can actually play it at those settings without it being a picture slide show. lol.
Wrong, With 3-way SLI its possible lol...
Nanosuitguy is offline   Reply With Quote