Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Software Development

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-15-07, 07:03 AM   #1
technoid

Default MySQL Connect Problem

I created a small MySQL project on my personal ISP and after getting it going I tried to move it our server at work. I installed MySQL 4.1 and the 3.5 Connect Driver but I can't connect to the database. I keep getting the error below. I output the connect string so you can see how I'm trying to connect.

I installed HeidiSQL a freeware admin utility and can use it just fine. I created a table just like the one in the project on my personal ISP so MySQL seems to be installed and working correctly on the server itself. But I don't know enough about it to troubleshoot the connect problem. I've done a lot of google searches and it seems like my connect string is okay but I'm not sure about what to put in for the server. I put the normal url since that seems right, but maybe not. If anyone has any ideas on this I'd appreciate any help you can offer.

Quote:
Driver={MySQL ODBC 3.51 Driver};SERVER=http://omapsw-w-web.sc.ti.com;PORT=3306;DATABASE=sdpgroup;UID=root ;PWD=xxxx;OPTION=3;
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified

/cellularsystems/tools/test/mysql/inventory/sqlcon.asp, line 16
Old 12-15-07, 08:05 AM   #2
JOPS

Default Re: MySQL Connect Problem

I've never used the driver you're using but I'm pretty sure "http://" shouldn't be there.
Old 12-15-07, 11:31 AM   #3
technoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOPS
I've never used the driver you're using but I'm pretty sure "http://" shouldn't be there.
I should have said this before. I tried it with and without the http part. I'm connecting to it from a different machine so I thought the http part would need to be there. But I'm a beginner and don't know yet

I guess I could add something to my question above. Once the driver is installed do I have to go to the ODBC Data Source Administrator and create a System DSN? I'm trying to connect DSN Less so I didn't think I needed to, but maybe I do.
Old 12-16-07, 12:24 AM   #4
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid
I created a small MySQL project on my personal ISP and after getting it going I tried to move it our server at work. I installed MySQL 4.1 and the 3.5 Connect Driver but I can't connect to the database. I keep getting the error below. I output the connect string so you can see how I'm trying to connect.

I installed HeidiSQL a freeware admin utility and can use it just fine. I created a table just like the one in the project on my personal ISP so MySQL seems to be installed and working correctly on the server itself. But I don't know enough about it to troubleshoot the connect problem. I've done a lot of google searches and it seems like my connect string is okay but I'm not sure about what to put in for the server. I put the normal url since that seems right, but maybe not. If anyone has any ideas on this I'd appreciate any help you can offer.
have you considered phpMyAdmin? it's placed on the server running the MySQL daemon. also, it requires PHP.

i have experience with that.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-07, 06:16 PM   #5
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n

Is this ASP?

If you're going to use ASP and ODBC, why not just use an Access db through DSN?

Then again it would be much easier to use Apache/PHP/MySQL, all are free and excellent development tools

EDIT: And phpMyAdmin is an awesome MySQL db administration tool.

Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
....it's so clear how government makes things worse not better...
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote